First Time Soil Building With Garrigan's Recipe

I’ll be starting up really soil building with my next grow finally trying to go with a base of Garrigan’s recipe. My question comes down to what size recipe I need to go by to fill either an 8 gallon pot or a 10 gal fabric pot that I’ll be using? I’m working on getting a bigger tent so I can get my girls into 10 gal fabric planters but right now I am using 8 gal pots and I just don’t want to end up with way to much or way to little soil for my girls. I’ll be using California Dream seeds from ILGM for this grow changing over from my Power Plant girls that I’ve been training myself with. My goal is to have a good perpetual grow set up once I have everything in place. Hoping for a really good harvest this time. Thanks for any guidance.

3 Likes

Will this be an outdoor grow or inside?
If inside anything less than 7 gallon is usually acceptable.
Outside I would recommend 10 gallon minimum.

1 Like

I’m starting off with the indoor grow still and right now I’ve got the Power Plant girls in a 4x4 tent for the flower portion and a closet for the veg. I’m hoping to get a larger tent to more easily fit the bigger pots in it for flowering because I do alot of LST training and stretch out of my girls. I do plan on doing an outdoor grow next spring but I have alittle time before I need to get that together. ( still have to build the greenhouse for it)

2 Likes

Really what I need to know is if it seems like I should be using the 1/2 recipe or the 1/4 recipe as a baseline for starting from Garrigan’s recipe in an 8 gal or 10 gal pot for the starting point for the indoor grow to do without having too much extra soil left over or not being able to fill the container. I’ll probably have a lot more questions when I have the outdoor grow as I’m planning those plants being in a much larger planters inside the greenhouse. I’m just really looking forward to being able to switch to mostly plain water instead of constantly mixing nutrients as that gets taxing on my back.

1 Like

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know that good soil comp goes a long way but I would still recommend using something water soluable, as most soil amendments slowly become usable over time as they mineralize.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I was kinda thinking that I would end up having to do amendments and any fixing of deficiencies/touch ups along the way. Being able to do the occasional touch up or just having to treat it once it starts to show signs of the deficiency will be easier than treating the whole way through the cycle of the plant though and it will just make life way easier to be able to use mostly plain water rather than constantly having to mix up the nutes all the time which over the years with my bad back and shoulder at times can be hard. I’ve gotten fairly familiar with the line I’ve been using so I think I’ll be able to carry it over through the soil building pretty easily but having the resource and community of the forum is an unending wealth of knowledge to tap into for the soil building etc.

1 Like

I’m going to watch this . There is someone else on this forum who is doing a living soil indoor grow ( I think it is ) . Good luck .

1 Like

Thanks I’m really looking forward to getting everything together for the California Dream seeds. I feel like I’ve been getting my feed under me with my past runs with the Power Plant girls that I’ve been doing. Just did a transplant of one of my Power Plants from a 1 gal fabric planter into an 8 gal pot and amended the soil with 20% more worm castings 20% more perlite a bunch of kelp meal and alittle bit of humic acid but I just didn’t have everything that I need for the whole soil build yet. And she’s already pretty much fully stretched out for LST. I feel like having the full soil building is going to bring my grow to the next level. Well that and getting some more light in my tent cause thats always helpfull haha. Thanks again for the good vibes.

2 Likes

I’d say 2 cubic yards will do for a 10 gallon pot. You might have a little left over. 10 gallon pots are my go to but I’m trying a 20 gallon pot this time around and I’m really liking the results.

Super soil is where I started. You’re going to enjoy the ease of use with the super soil. In my experience it still needs to be fed about the time you flip the lights.

I’m growing now using a living soil. Super soil is a great starting point. A living soil allows me to use the same pot and soil over and over again. Top dressing at the beginning, a week before flipping the lights and about half way through flower keeps the plants firing on all cylinders.

I’ll tag you to my journal documenting my growing journey. Plenty of info.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot man I really appreciate the info. I’m lookin forward to startin my new girls in the super soil and learning all over again. Right now I’ve gotten fairly good at the LST might even try a scrog net soon and am hoping that the super soil will let me take everything in my grow to the next level. I think my California Dream seeds will be extremely happy when I get the soil together. I’m lookin through your whole journal now.

1 Like