First time SCROG Setup

Greetings - Looking for tips and advice on setting up a SCROG frame or screen for my 2x2 tent.

The most basic is a net that is inexpensive and stretches between the 4 poles. I’ve seen a pvc frame with a section of plastic construction fence attached to the frame. I’ve seen a section of cattle wire fence cut to fit held to the poles by cable ties. Some are sold as a kit while other systems are DIY.

Any suggestions on the best scrog system? Kit or DIY?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

I built mine with a 1/2” pvc and 3 way elbows. 21.5” x21.5”. Put screws in every 2”. Then used mold resistant garden twine that I wrapped around the screws. Here’s the frame. I don’t have the twine net on it as I took it down to harvest.

Found a pic so you can see how the garden twine was ran

6 Likes

For a small grow area with a single plant (perhaps two), @BobbyDigital has you covered.
Another approach for more plants is to build each frame on a cart with casters so that each plant can be moved and rotated individually.
Here is a photo of my SCROG frames:

And here is the same grow six weeks later:

The upper part is adjustable for height. I rotate the plants every three hours during flower.

6 Likes

These are a green house kit cut up for scrogs. Reusable and portable.

5 Likes

I made mine just like @BobbyDigital but will include a top-down photo just to give you a little better idea how you can run the entire thing with one piece of string. The only difference is I use eye hooks (1/16" drill bit for starter holes) instead of screws.

You can also use couplers with 2 inch sections of PVC at the bottom of the legs to make the height adjustable.

5 Likes

These are all great examples of perfect SCROG setups. Good tips and tricks for DIY projects.

When I make the “openings” with either wire or garden twine, is there an opening size I should shoot for?

1 Like

That is a great question @MT3. I put my strings at 2.5" - 3" spacing, some folks go with 4" or 6" spacing. It is up to you to decide how you want to grow and how many tops you want to develop. I go for 35 - 50 tops and grow in 10 gallon pots.

In the interest of full disclosure, this is my very first effort at using a SCROG. My techniques will likely change as I gain experience.

2 Likes

You’d never know this was your first SCROG based on the pictures. Beautifully done!

I like the adjustable height feature you incorporated, and I’ll aim for that as well.

Many thanks!

1 Like

For a single plant or two I might go with something closer to what @TommyBahama suggests, use couplers and short pipe sections to achieve adjustability. My method works fine but is a bit more involved with little additional benefit. I just thought it would be a cool way to do it. So far, I am glad I did it this way.

Thank you for the kind words, I will be starting harvest in a week or so. This is only my fifth grow (just over one year), so there is still a lot to learn.

1 Like

Always lots more to learn. Next grow, I’m shifting over from an organic soil based medium (FF Ocean Forest) to a soilless medium (Pro Mix HP) known to be easier to manage nutes and ph values. I also want to learn and try the scrog method like you are doing well with. I really like LST, so between these two training methods, I should be able to control tall plants (Blue Dream next) in a tent that’s only 5’7". I’ll fimm and top the Blue Dream so please wish me luck as I learn several new tricks at once.

2 Likes

I just bought mine online the net and ran poles on the outside of my tent pols. Here is 7 weeks after that defoliation

5 Likes

Here is mine really easy just some 1/2 inch pvc pipe and 4 t’s and used parachute cord and just drilled holes every 3inches apart and tied it

5 Likes

Is there a typical height for the screen to sit above the top of the growing container?

One tip for above I like is to have sections of PVC in varying lengths to make the screen height adjustable. For reference, what is the typical height above the pot that most aim for?

I aim for about 350-400mm. Enough to water and prune underneath. I run individual frames and have certain containers for each size depending on how much space I have in the flower tent.

1 Like

This gives me a good reference point - thank you!

I’m looking forward to building a scrog frame and giving this method a try. I have a semi-short tent at 5’7", so I’ll need to scrog and top to do a taller photo plant like the Blue Dream I want to grow indoors.

Pretty much like @BobbyDigital except my screens are 4x4 with 4" squares

3 Likes