First time learner's journal

Learning something new about Coco coir right now lol. Hellraiser made an interesting comment about it. Saying you can water and feed everyday multiple times

2 Likes

I read that too… I want a few more grows, and a much deeper understanding of nutes before I go down the Coco road. I read my plants a few times a day, and nutes are a big part of that read.

1 Like

From what I’m seeing an understanding of nutes and soil will only be so useful since your jumping into a whole new medium I’m actually glad I’m going straight into it going to increase my water and feed tonight lol was going to wait but two of my pots are really light

2 Likes

When browsing the forums for info on Coco coir came across this site https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/principles-fertigation-feed-water-cannabis-coco/
Definitely has some interesting stuff of Coco along with several different guides. Going to read them all but for fun I made up some feed last night at 600 ppm and watered last night and again this morning. They were definitely on the dry side last night as I soaked the pot but stopped just as runoff started taking a good amount of water. This morning was different I gave them the same amount of water but received way more runoff.

1 Like

My new watering schedule:
4 tsp of big bloom and 2 tsp of grow big it’s about half of the week 2 feeding schedule at 600 ppm im currently using distilled water will be switching to my tap soon.
I water twice a day now. First at 6 am or so and the next later I. The day around 3-4.
Also gave the girls a little trim removing the lowest leaves that were in the way of watering.
Going to be measuring runoff today and get an idea of how well my plants are eating and if I’m pushing out a good amount of salt in my runoff. They get around 500 ml of water and I get a lot of runoff. Planning on transplanting soon to 3 gallon fabric pots. I’m without a doubt late on doing this. Purchasing 5 gallons fabric pots tomorrow along with a 135 hlg respec. I. Super excited :grin:.

1 Like

I feed and water twice a day, and I also water with just phed water every 4 feedings to keep the salts from building up. My smaller plants only get watered and fed once a day, but when they get bigger I will switch to twice.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice I was wandering when i should just do pH water. I’ve been seeing everyone dies it a bit differently but just about everyone does a plain pH watering.
Question as well. How much run off should i go for when just plain watering? When I feed I usually get a decent amount of runoff and that’s at stopping the moment I see it.

1 Like

I usually do the same as my feeding, about 15-20% runoff, just enough to get a good ph and tds reading.

1 Like

Thank you. One last question for now if you don’t mind can you explain how cal mag to me I read an article says the Coco needs it but that the cal mag is a huge spike in ppm or something along those lines.

1 Like

It is, are you using tap or distilled water? If using distilled water I would use it at the very least every other time. I’m using tap so I only use it once a week, because it does make your ppms higher, but coco does soak up calcium.

Distilled while young switching to tap after transplant thank you very much will add some next watering I believe the directions say 1 tablespoon per gallon.

1 Like

I use CALiMAGic, and it calls for 1 teaspoon per gallon.

That’s probably it lol I’m work was going off memory of when I read it

1 Like

Update:

So another rookie mistake another lesson learned. First cal mag and distilled water needs pH I did 1 tsp to one gallon and pH was around 6.8. also feed was a little high in pH as well about 6.5 EC was around 1000 and ppm 500. Being as I’m watering as 600 ppm or so it’s obvious my plants have a little nute lock out. I will slowly bring pH down with maintaining my feed and cal mag water at 5.8 to 6 pH. Also for anyone who is about to pH for the first time use drops. Just use drops lol it’s some strong stuff.
My current watering schedule is to water twice a day. I feed for 2 days and then feed in morning and then do a water and cal mag in the evening on the 3rd day. This is to flush out the salt build up in the Coco. Will finish off current nute batch then I’m going to up it the next feed. Will also be transplanting this weekend anyone have some tips on transplanting in Coco my idea is to cut my plastic pots to make it easy and nute and cal mag the new Coco as well.
I hope everyone had a good week so far. Mines been great loving growing my plants even enjoying all my mistakes.

3 Likes

The mistakes aren’t visible to this rookie! Well done man!!

1 Like

Look at her this morning

3 Likes

Got off work today at a decent time and was able to transplant the girls today into 3 gallon fabric pots. Now that their in the tent I’m glad I went with 3 gallon seems to be a nice fit in my tent. O had no idea how the Coco was going to be out of the pot. To play it safe I cut the plastic pots like a banana peel and to my surprise the Coco held up perfect and transplant went smooth and easy. Also soaked the new Coco with slightly stronger batch of feed with cal mag added in as well. It’s been 3 hours since the transplant.
Here are the girls.

Like my cheap gauge that came with something I bought can’t remember what. The humidity is higher than normal but temp is my usual.

4 Likes

@Zee thank you also do you have a journal

1 Like

Looking great after transplant. You’re getting this down! Keep at it

1 Like

Thank you :sunglasses: plan on it just order my 135 respec light this morning

2 Likes