First time hydroponics

First time growing in a hydroponics dwc I have what looks like alga but I’m not sure!it looks kind of yellowish brown15899351901561578618571699918656|375x500

@jayhall3467 that is hard to tell in the photo, do you have one in better focus? Also a shot of the plants roots and bucket in normal light will help. What water are you using? I used to see something like a brown foam on the top of my hot tub when I used to be on a well that was pretty hard water.

1 Like

Here’s a few better pictures

1 Like

1 Like

Water level looks too high…
You need a 2 inch air gap from water level to net pot… :wink::+1:
What are water temps…?
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

@jayhall3467 a little slimy looking like the start of some root issues. Water level seems a little high too, or maybe it’s the camera angle. How is the water temps? Are you using hydroguard? I’ve found it helpful keeping the roots healthy when I have higher than normal temps in bucket.

3 Likes

My water gap is 1 3/4" water temperature is 68.5 f, I don’t have any hydroguard but I have a bottle of clear Rez ppm is reading 1000.

The only thing that I’m having problems with is the yellow brownish stuff and I put my ph at 5.3 at night before I go to bed at 11pm and when I wake up in the morning and check my ph is a 6.5 can’t figure out why my ph keeps shooting so high, I have to readjusted my ph levels two times a day is this normal too

1 Like

Clean out resavore chang nutrition water the slime is probably making your ph go up .I clean my system with bleach water and rinse thoroughly not with plants in of course. Also I have heard about using hydrogen peroxide in res . I used that clean res b4 and I didn’t like the results dam near killed my plants

1 Like

Your roots look like they are starting root rot. I would for sure clean your system, and start hydrogen peroxide personally.

1 Like

To make sure: this is below the net pot? How much air flow to rez? How large is rez? How much solution are you running? What nutrient line?

Big PH swings indicate issues.

This is too high IMO: you should be half that right now. What nutrient line are you running and what means are you using to measure/monitor PH? If digital; when last calibrated?

3 Likes

For one I don’t have a rezavor I’m using the 5 gal bucket Dwc method with plastic totes, I looked I had some light leaking in, I’m using jacks hydroponics nutrients, I’m going to the store to get hydrogen peroxide. I’ll double check when I get back home I think its just touching the bottom of the net pot. Forgot to mention the plants are auto’s so I’ll be doing it as soon as I get back home

1 Like

@jayhall3467 the bucket is the reservoir. You’ll need to check how much volume you can fill in the bucket, like I use 6-7 water gallons in a 12gal HDX bucket. The water should have a air gap between the net pot and the water level. With the ph issues and high TDS I would drain, sanitize, and fill back up with fresh RO before the peroxide. Slowly add back your nutes one product at most 1/2 strength of what you used.

1 Like

I should have said, that water volume is with a 3" net pot, if I switch to a 5" for a run the water level is 4 gallons max.

And block up the light leak with some foil tape or other creative method and you should see some nice flowers in a few weeks

1 Like

I can’t see your tots are they clear or white if so that will be your problem the darker the better

1 Like

I have 6"net pots I stopped the light leaks tape contractor bag’s to the outside of my totes, and started 1/2 tsp of hydrogen peroxide to 1gal water. I rinsed out the net pots with clean water too. clean water in the totes too

1 Like

@jayhall3467 another thing occurs to me when I look back at the pictures. How many plants you planning on flowering in that space? Seems like you packed full of totes. I can only do 3, maybe 4 stavias, in my 3x5 space, but I do need space for the door to open. Some day I will rehang to outward open but I’ve found 1 to 2 really quality plants is where to start. Get the process down and then you just rinse and repeat and get a little better each time.

My first grow I tried 6 plants in the same space, even on some really flakey lights and little homedepot buckets, I ended up chopping 3 early as it was too hard to get into the space they were so bushy they started blocking the space where the door swung.

Another things to think about can you get all the way to the back (walkway?) For maintenance. Feeding and watering will not be fun if you can not easily lift the lid or pot with a 2-6 ft plant on top.

I’ve never opened the peroxide I purchased years ago. I still have it just incase, and I know people use it, but from what I heard it can be of more harm, but you may want to wait for a user of that to chime in. What % and is it food grade, or the standard 3% drugstore stuff that you used?

1 Like

I used the drug store stuff I was told to use 1/2teaspoon per gallon of water,I have a 4x6 tent I have enough to do 12 plants,but I’m only doing 4 at a time 2 weeks a part for harvest I’m doing auto’s. The tent zips all the way around the back, and I’ll mostly do indica thats what I perfer

1 Like

@jayhall3467 cool that is the nice thing with a tent like that. I’m using rooms, well a few walk in closets. Still remember indica can get wide. These are strawberry kush (indica) and blueberry CBD 12/12 from seed. Blueberry looks more in size what I expected from strawberry, but I think that was the 12/12 and low lighting conditions that made her extra tall.

Back to the peroxide, I would switch to something higher % food grade. Most people I see using it post dosage based on 12% or higher.

1 Like