First time growing anything

I just wanna make sure you’re not soaking the paper towel in water.

Germination

1. Soak seeds in water (24 hours)
  2. Place in damp paper tower (check every 12 hours)
  3. Once you see a taproot, very carefully place in a 1/2” deep hole and sprinkle soil on top
  4. Keep the soil moist (not wet, not dry)
3 Likes

Tails about 1/4 - 1/2 , put into the jiffy easy garden tonight . Set the light to 18 / 6 …dome is on . My question is , do I just spray mist a couple times a day until the leafs touch the top of dome ?

2 Likes

Appreciate your advice @Oldguy. And @KeystoneCops . Got a couple that popped and put into the jiffy pods yesterday. Been 26 hours and nothing yet but I squirted a small spray from a bottle an hour ago , got a small 60 watt cfl on em at about 4 inches. Do they need a squirt couple times a day in the jiffy bed ?

2 Likes

I use a germination specific heat pad ($20). I’m gonna assume that tray has a lid so you can make a nice warm humid environment for the seedlings.

A spritz or two of water is okay. Maybe hit the sides and bottom of the jiffy though. If the seedlings get too damp at the soil line they tend to “damp off” which kills them. Keep the soil moist, but not wet like a sponge.

2 Likes

There is a lid , I didn’t put it back on after I gave a short spray though … think I should leave the light on them 24 hrs . Or the 18/6 I had set ?

1 Like

24 hours is fine. It’ll help maintain humidity.

1 Like

Thanx ! Be a shame to kill em so soon …lol

2 Likes

Just remember. Damp.
Not wet. And things will work out. :wink::+1::v:I use that exact same tray and pod kit. Your pods shouldn’t need any water for the first week.
Misting the inside of the dome 1 per day very lightly is more than sufficient.
:v:

1 Like

Thanks , Day 2 in the jiffy but nothing yet …

1 Like

@Oldguy , what’s a normal timeframe to stretch out of the jiffy pod ?

1 Like

@jjs. I’ll germ in paper towel till I have a tap root 1/4-1/2 in long before putting in the pod. Seed should only be twice the seed width below the soil level to start.
I’ve seen some folks have them take up to a week to break ground. :v:

1 Like

Thanks @Oldguy , did just that …germinate in the paper towel till 1/4 -1/2 , carefully placed into the pods and loosely topped . But , I sprayed a mist yesterday so No more water …I get it !

2 Likes

One seedling at about 1 1/2 inch the other just visible at the top of pod . Thinking time for a solo cup tomorrow for the sprout ? Read it should not touch the top of dome because it can cause mold … your guys thoughts ? @Oldguy @KeystoneCops

1 Like

@jjs. That should be fine for the sprout.
Mine are only in the dome for 4-5 days before putting in cups. They’ve usually reached the cover by then.
Bury the stem up to just under the leaves for a bit of support too when putting in solo cup. I’ve seen a few fall over because of being too top heavy. :+1::v:

1 Like

Thanks @Oldguy put the one into the solo filled with fox farms ocean , surprisingly it had already grown down thru the netting in the jiffy pod ! I cut away the netting and as your instructions it’s in just below the leave …how damp shall I keep the soil now in the solo ? The whole sprout was over 5 inches long :smiley:

2 Likes

@jjs. Not very wet. Again damp is good. Just a tbsp around the outer edge of the pod should do it. And if you can a dome on your cups will help a lot too. :wink::+1::v:

1 Like

Pod fell apart when I removed the netting , I’ll dampen up the top soil a bit , thanks @Oldguy

1 Like

Checked the other jiffy pod last night and thought it looked strange , with a tweezers I carefully foraged around the top of pod and could see the sprout had actually just curled up and was laying almost horizontal…figured it was about dead but still had a ver small green tip so I got a solo loaded with the fox farms and thought I would give it a shot and hope for the best , buried it very shallow in the cup and domed it with mist of water in the dome . Tonight it’s out about 1/4 inch ! Hopefully I have to players here ! Thank for the help all , especially @Oldguy and @KeystoneCops

3 Likes

Trying a different approach today , day 11 . One looks good but the other is a runt …put on the window sill today .

1 Like

. Their so cute when they’re young. :grin:
The lil one looks good tho. Healthy.
:+1::v:

1 Like