First time growing anything

going to start soon , friend gave me a grow light ( 400 watt HPS by HTD Supply , I just received feminized seeds . I am going to use the downstairs bath shower stall as a grow room using 2 6 gallon pails . this start will be for 2 plants . Bath has a exhaust fan and will use a small fan at bottom of plants .Going to use a mix of miracle grow and vigoro potting mix . Am trying to do as simple as I can and learn by this first experience .Do I have the basics ?

1 Like

Sounds like you got a good start now the miracle grow soil doesn’t quite have what you need to grow marijuana look at more of a fox farm ocean forest happy I like it get it at your garden centers.PH tester for your water Amazon

4 Likes

Sorry I forgot welcome

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum / community @jjs. As @Stop stated, you are probably going to need some nutrients along the way. If this is just an experiment to see whether or not this is what you are going to pursue, I have used cheap Wally World potting soil and some nutrients and produced decent weed. My understanding is that to produce primo weed, you need a higher quality soil and nutrients. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and a vast amount of experience here take advantage of it. I know that I have

6 Likes

Thanks , repins and stop ! I should have mentioned I also ordered the nutrients with the seeds . I will take the very first advice I received here and research and use a better soil medium for my grow ! Appreciate the feedback so far ! Figure I will germinate seeds in the next week !

2 Likes

Pro mix is also another way to go too.
And welcome to the forum @jjs. :+1:
And to tag anyone just put the @ symbol in front of their name like this @Oldguy. and they will reply. :wink::v:

2 Likes

Thanks @Oldguy

1 Like

Welcome to the forum it is a great place to be. Ask lots of questions here and it sounds like your friend may be a good source also.

What technique will you use to germinate the seeds? After they are germinated what are your plans?

1 Like

Hey @Bubblehead , using a jiffy windowsill greenhouse kit to germinate. The will put in small pots .

1 Like

Are you going to soak your seeds first?

@Bubblehead , the seeds germinate in the peat pods . Check out jiffy kits . It’s a easy process my wife uses these for her garden every spring .

1 Like

Yeah soil medium is key as much as lighting.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Definitely agree with @repins12, spend as much time as possible reading threads. I’m fairly new to this also. I’ve picked up a lot of info just scanning through the different topics.

1 Like

Understood. I really don’t know why, never asked or thought about until now. Most growers will soak seed for 18-24, then put in moist paper towel until tap root is about 1/4 inch. At that point the are put into soil or starting cube of choice. Knowing potheads it is probably just a way to speed germination.

2 Likes

there seems to be at least a few different ways folks are doing the seeds …guess my reason @Bubblehead is because we happen to have several of these kits around the house here .

1 Like

If I had the supplies I’d use them too. Just giving you options.

1 Like

It’s actually a way to see the tap root before placing in the pod.
I use the paper towel method and wait till the tail is 1/2-3/4 inch long. Then place in jiffy pod. Put the seed just at the top of the pod.
Don’t leave your jiffy pods too wet when you dome. CFL about 3-4 in above dome.
Works every time. :wink::+1::v:

5 Likes

Not disagreeing with that, but just so @jjs understands, Pro Mix is a soilless medium. It has no intrinsic nutrient value, which is convenient if you want to carefully (hopefully) add exactly what you want.

A healthy bagged soil aims to have everything the plant requires. First time growers do tend to add too much, rather than too little. A nice Fox Farm soil could be a good starting point, and can always be top-dressed or watered with nutrients if need be.

Keep a calendar in or at the grow space and track feedings and watering, whichever way you go.

3 Likes

True enough. Out of likes. :+1::v:

2 Likes

Thanks for your input @KeystoneCops ! Picked up a couple bags of the fox farms ocean this wkend , put 2 seeds in paper towel and soaking in a cup of water Saturday morning ! Lots of knowledge on the subject here , I will need the help !

1 Like