First Time Grower with Slowness issues.... or impatient?

Happy 4th! What size tent you own?

2 Likes

Hey @THC73, unfortunately, due to space constraints, I’m doing all of this from dual 2wx4Lx7h Spider Farmer tents which are connected by two 6" air ducts, with fans on both sides. The top fan pushes air towards my Lung/storage tent, and the bottom fan takes air from the Lung room to the grow room. Not optional for how I wish I could have done it, but, maybe in time I can expand.

@OhioIndoorGrower good looking all around setup and plants. If I could politely add in my 2 cents, I think you should consider plucking all the leaves that are touching ground or nearly touching. I like a clean undercarriage so my fans breeze can push stale out right out from under the canopy. Just a thought -they look very healthy regardless. :+1:t2::green_heart::+1:t2::wink::green_heart:

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the comments regarding the grow setup, @Fieldofdreams! Very much appreciated! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I had been reading a lot about defoliation and when was safe to trim some leaves. I’m really glad you mentioned that! Now that these girls are all above about 5-8 decent sized nodes (I think that’s the correct terminology? :thinking:), how many lower leaves do you think are safe to remove? I’ll definitely take out the ones you already circled, thanks! :pray:

And when you’re trimming fan leaves, I’m assuming you are attempting to cut with an exact-o knife, or trimming scissors, as close to the main stalk as possible?

@OhioIndoorGrower i wish I could sound more professional but I mostly just pinch or snap the fans off. If I’m doing a lollipopping trim job where I’m cleaning every branch from the lower 1/3 I use my yard snips since my pinch ain’t what it used to be lol. I like a clean airflow path to decrease inner canopy humidity. Your girls are still pretty short so don’t go crazy now, but later when they reach up for the light more you’ll be able to come back and clean them up again.

2 Likes

Thats exactly how i have mine set up! Heat rises so I expel the hot air out from the top and bring fresh air in from the bottom. I don’t know if its the correct way but it made sense to have it set this way. I also have the exhaust fan 1 setting higher than the intake fan. Also dont know if this is entirely correct as well but so far its been working fine.

1 Like

@Fieldofdreams correct me if i am wrong but i heard its no more than 1/3 of the leaves and usually do it on the first day of flower and again on the 21st day of flower.

2 Likes

@THC73 some growers do I believe a heavy defol at 21 & then 42 days in to flower. There’s a lot of different opinions and they mostly all seem to work. Every grow is so specific to each grower. More than one way to the harvest as they say. :wink::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Your digging swap and learning, so. I’m confident you’ll figure it all out as you already are aware of so much.
Keep it up!

Also any questions or concerns please tag me and I’ll try to get back asap

Ps
I’m a strong belive in lollipoping and heavy defoilation, I worked at a certified organic farm as a kid and we always took off sucker branches for the corn. The theory is sound, yet to be studies but been used for many moons successfully. Best of luck.

3 Likes

Yeah I really need to defoliate mine too but I’m too worried about stunting or stressing her :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Quick picture update. I’m shocked :exploding_head: to see that my tallest grew what looks to be another inch today. See the shot from last night and this evening, about 22 hours difference.

10pm last night:

730pm today:

For being my first grow, I’m pretty excited. Today is 40 days since I originally dunked the seeds in water (before putting them in paper towels).

3 Likes

Took @Fieldofdreams advice to remove some bottom leaves. I used a pair of generic Fiskars and took 4-5 leaves from each plant. Starting with the lowest that touched the ground, and that had yellow.

Then I adjusted the green twist ties… I hope I didn’t go overboard!

2 Likes

I spread out and lollipop BIGTIME lol. And I pluck often, my girls think they’re under attack. @OhioIndoorGrower

6 Likes

Haha, that’s awesome, @Fieldofdreams! Your girls look great!

@OhioIndoorGrower yes they do lol, hanging upside down! We’ll 3 of them anyways. 1 is still in the tent trying to live forever it seems.

5 Likes

Ohh man, That’s great! How much longer before you trim and cure?

(Nice fan, btw :smirk: )

@OhioIndoorGrower tomorrow is day 10 of hang so those 3 are getting trimmed and jarred. I’m hoping my tent Queen is ready for the ax so she can take their place on the hangers.

1 Like

Hi everyone, just a quick morning update. I made a stupid/rookie mistake the other night and added Silica Blast to my rainwater… after I pH’d the water… and then I watered my girls. sigh… I don’t know what the water pH was, but it was much higher than normal. Last night when I went out the pH had risen to 7.5, and the girls were showing it.

So, I did my normal pH down routine and watered the plants with 5.9 pH water. This morning, I got out there and they looked much happier! They’re still a little droopy, but much better. Looks like some of the leaf’s tips got some nute burn or something. The sharp rise in pH was definitely a shock to them. Sigh, live, and learn! My little runts may not be tall, but as long as they produce some kind of bud this first grow, I’ll be happy.

2 Likes

And according to my notes, the first three started 43 days ago, and the second three started 36 days ago (the first three are labeled as SLH, GLF, and PPK, whereas, the second three are fully written out (Gold Leaf, Purple Kush, & Super Lemon Haze)).

:thinking: 43 and 36 days… Seems like it’s been SO. MUCH. LONGER. :rofl: