First time grower want to confirm my plant is male

hi all, first time grower here introduced to the site by rayofsunshine :slight_smile: (I’m pretty sure he said that was his name on here at least) I’m trying to see if my favorite plant out of the 4 I started is male. just noticed the growths today and I’m hurt having spent almost 2 months growing them but these were just random unkown seeds found in a sac so at least there’s that… please help me confirm thanks

bud1
bud2
bud4
bud3

1 Like

I am sorry to say that your plant looks male to me.

2 Likes

Sorry Male

2 Likes

thanks y’all :frowning: it’s alright that’s what I thought when i saw them. he’s my healthiest one(in the top right)! but i was planning to start new seeds today anyway

1 Like

Your plants look really good (other than the balls on one of them LOL). Don’t wait too long to get the male out of there. You don’t want to ruin all of your fine efforts with a bunch of seeds.

2 Likes

thanks!! I’m still pretty proud of my other girls lol. i’m about to go pull him out of the tent now. but when i’m ready to fully get rid of him should I just pull him out by the roots or cut the stem and leave the roots? I want to reuse this pot and the dirt for when i’m ready to transition the seeds i start today. And I can at least add him to my compost so he’s not a complete waste lol

I don’t think it matters much, I would just pull it up and shake the soil off, especially since you want to reuse the soil.

1 Like

There is a member on here that just cuts at the stem base and plants just next to the stem.

He says the roots decompose and add nutrients to the soil.

3 Likes

It’s male. You are lucky. 75% female from bag seed is good. When I planted regular seeds…30% to 70% would be males. Yeah, hoping for just a few and spent 3 months growing a worthless male. Sigh…:unamused:

One watering won’t hurt too much. BE SURE…none of the males pollen balls are open and spewing yellow pollen. You will end up with a bucket of seeds. Compost pile would be ok IF no pollen has spewed and you bury it deep.

1 Like

Welcome to ILGM, @growmamagrow! Sorry about the male, but I agree that 3 out of 4 ain’t bad at all. :v:

1 Like

thanks for that advice and for the input on the 75% ratio. I hadn’t been looking at it like that and was feeling kinda bummed still.
I’m thinking I might chop him down (he’s out of the tent) and just hang him out in the backyard for a couple weeks before i add him to the compost so i can see if any pollen forms. there’s no visible pollen yet but the sacks had to have just formed overnight so hopefully i caught it early enough

WARNING----DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!!!
IF one pollen sack opens…a city block area will be fertilized. IF you want a bucket of seeds…let that male hang around above ground for a week.

A Prudent person listens to the voice of experience and helpfulness. :cowboy_hat_face::vulcan_salute::v:

1 Like

If you can isolate it, you could collect and store some pollen if you want to breed more later. Just don’t keep it where it might effect your females or your neighbors! I have a tent in a spare room set apart for pollen producers.
All this assuming the bag these seeds came from was worth reproducing that is.

1 Like

Its a real nice plant but i’ll probably wait until i have a few more grows under my belt before i try that, good to know thats an option. i will just compost the stems and use the fan leaves and lil’ ballsacks in a breakfast smoothie or something lol. i’m getting ready to chop him down now :frowning: but i’m feeling a lot better about it than i was before i posted this

1 Like

We’re all here to share the pain and hurt of culling a poor male! (Not to mention the time and effort spent on it). :innocent::grin:

1 Like