First time grower trying to get some advice and good tips (grow journal)

ok so i started a few months ago in miracle grow potting mix only. and its not turning out so well. i want to make the best out of what i can help would be greatly aprricative.

1 Like

I would suggest reading some grow logs from here, older ones, from start to finish. See what they did right and wrong. See what problems they ran into. What the solutions were. What you can get ahead of. I spent time doing this. Biggest problems I saw were weak lights, over watering, feeding too early. Get a TDS and PH meter from the start. Get your pH up and down before you start. Now if I had only done this before I started.

3 Likes

ok so i started a few months ago in miracle grow potting mix only. and its not turning out so well. i want to make the best out of what i can help would be greatly appreciative. i have uploaded my current set up as im starting out exploring the hydroponics

That’s miracle grow for you…

Happy growing!

3 Likes

No doubt Zee.
First thing I would do is throw out the miracle grow. You need to find a more cannibus friendly soil. Something that doesn’t have time release nutrients. I’m a fox farms guy but there are many options. It’s going to be very difficult to balance ppm and ph with the fluctuations in miracle grow.

3 Likes

thanks you, so do i remove the plants from the miracle grow? i have some happy tree frog soil i bought yesterday for future plants and im confused on what i should do. do i replace all the plants? what about the two flowering plants? should i replace their soil as well? im not sure i dont want to damage the roots of the plant.

You can either pull them and transplant to happy frog. Or just finish and start with it on the next grow your call.

@kellydans @Cannabian @KeystoneCops including the two flowering? @SKORPION

1 Like

you may wish to try a massive flush in the current soil? Get as much of the time release out as possible, and pre moisten the new FF soil to a humid consistency, then transplant? I would try at least one plant, wait a week and see what happens?

3 Likes

you could also do a bare root transplant! Its pretty aggressive though. What you do is remove the plant from its pot, this assumes its not root bound, place the plant on a plastic lid on an angle, and with a garden hose gently wash away a bunch of that crappy soil. You will want to remove some fan leaves to reduce transpiration too. Then make a hole in the new soil and set the hairy looking root ball in it grntlybtwist it a few times to evenly spread the root out. Sprinkle in some soil, then some more, keep doing this until its packable. Its not much different than bare root planting a tree. It will set your plant back and is pretty stressful. I would prefer the heavy flush method and simpmy transplant the entire blob.
Totally experimental!

1 Like

I’d probably let the flowering plants ride it out as they are. I don’t have any experience recovering plants from Miracle Grow.

That should be a grow challenge. Do The Best You Can With A Miracle Grow Soil (and any amendments you want)

2 Likes

You mentioned pest issues in the other thread. Can you explain?

1 Like

yes i dont know exaclty where the insects came from but about a month ago i started noticing some leaf damage then about a week later i started seeing yellow small like gnats flying around and i look on the leafs closely and i see really small white like worms on the leafs. i dont know how to kill them :/. imma let the two flowering ones just ride it out. but i guess ill start swtiching over all the other ones to the two gallon pots. i started the grow tent off all soil originally but i decided since im growing autos i decided i want to see how much the difference of growing in hydro vs soil. so the tent i have the hydroponic set up and the closet i have the soil. if anyone has any questions that could possibly help me produce i would greatly appreciate it. and i would love if you guys joined me on my journey :smiley:

Even with a picture, I wouldn’t say for certain “ahhh, you definitely have [insert pest]” because insect ID is really tough. I wouldn’t even make the assumption that the worms are a larval form of the flying insects. If you can get some good pictures, that would help. What area of the world are you in?

I’d get the following supplies:

The key feature here is the grid. You count the number of bugs per cell on a daily or weekly basis. You track whether there’s an increase or decline in new bugs, which will indicate an increase or decrease in overall population. I find it’s handy to snap a photo on my phone to track issues.

An insecticidal soap. Lately I’ve moved to powdered citric acid with a few drops of Dr. Bronner’s (I use peppermint because that’s what I have, but they sell unscented too). I have powdered citric acid, which is pretty inexpensive. That’s the active ingredient in OMRI listed insecticidal soaps, which cost 50x more…

A decent spray bottle ($6) or pump sprayer ($25). You need something that can put out some water velocity.

Then I’d wash the leaves top and bottom to remove the larvae. I’d do this in a bathtub or sink away from the grow. Do this to all the plants. Take them all out of the tent, clean the tent with 1:10 bleach:water. Then as you clean each plant, place them back into the tent.

This strategy should control most insects; while you might not eliminate them, you can keep their populations extremely low.

As far as how the pests came in, do you go outside and then into your cannabis garden? Or do you have pets? And even if the first two answers are “no,” none of us live in hermetically sealed clean rooms. Pests will usually find a way in.

1 Like

My neighbor has 2 plants growing in miracle grow. I gave him the seed and they are about 2 1/2 months outdoor. He’s an older head so I didn’t say hey get better soil or you’re wasting your time. They look really good so far just a little bug damage. No nute burn or growth issues. I’m not sure how flower is going to go come September. we are going to find out though and what the smoke or buds will be like are anyone’s guess.

2 Likes

i have a flytrap with some of the insects here 20200729_153459

I refer you to my previous post.

1 Like

1 Like

an update on the grow i lost quite a few gals but its alright as i underestimated the amount of space one plant would take up. my question now is i switched most to hydro but the strawberry cheesecake has grown wierd and is starting to recover but i think the growth has stopped and im getting a little worried. im checking the ph and keeping it around 5.8. also im conserned about the autos being close to there 3 month time is it going to continue to grow and flower or is it just going to stay like this?? any help and tips are always appreciated thanks! @KeystoneCops @Kevfrmthestl @Zee @Eagles009 @Cannabian @SKORPION @PremiumBudzBlondie @SheilaT @roseofsharon @AshleyMae

1 Like

Autos are autos and they do what they want, unfortunately thats the straight truth. What is your ppms of your in flow and out flow