First time grower needs some advice for lighting distance

Have qty 2ea 1000 watt blurple lights (Famurs from Amazon). Bought a starter kit with White Widow autoflowering seeds from ILGM. Am going to soak the seeds for 12 hrs and then plant directly into 2 gallon cloth pots to a depth of 1/2 inch and cover lightly (Happy Frog soil). How close to the pots should I initially place the lights? What about after the seedlings are fully established (third set of leaves) - how close to the tops should the lights be? I’ll be using up to 5 pots (depending on how many seeds germinate) in an area of approx. 4 feet by 4 feet (small walk-in closet). Will I need another 1kw light unit (3000 watts total)? I’ve read contradictory advice so now I’m really confused. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. I can grow flowers and tomatoes like crazy so I should be able to grow some bud don’t you think?

1 Like

Those lights are only 185 watts. Each one should have adequate light for a single plant, but be forewarned - while they will grow plants to completion, blurple lights really only excel during the vegetative stage.
That said - if you want wide internodal spacing, set them about 20 inches above the plants. If you want tight spacing, set them about 14 inches above the plants. If you are unsure, it’s safer to start at the upper range and work your way closer.

During the first two weeks of the seedling stage, you would be better served to have a few 23 watt 6500K CFL bulbs about 5 inches above the plants, though.

3 Likes

I have a king 1200 watt, it’s actually a 235 watt. I keep small seedlings 30" away. If they start to stretch, lower it a couple inches daily. I currently have 2 plants in veg under a 300 watt viperspectra blurple at 26" for now. They will go under a much better light for flower. I go by manufacturer directions. Good luck with the grow and welcome :v::green_heart:

2 Likes

@TommyBahama, HAPPY BIRTDAY !!! :sparkler::fireworks::clinking_glasses::beers::+1:

1 Like

@boxerdad, Don’t get discouraged with the lights, I think most of us that are new to this indoor grow thing, have done the same. You are in good hands on this forum. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge and a vast amount of experience here. WELCME to the FORUM !!!

3 Likes