First time grower needs advice!

@Capt.Cola,

You can use this as a guide ok should help in what you need.

@Myfriendis410 @Covertgrower @LoCoRock @Noctis420 @imSICKkid @Drinkslinger. So I germinated 5 seeds and all popped! So stoked to see something after all the research and reading I have done. When should I take my humidity dome off? All the seeds have broken the surface all but one I can see the leaves. What are my next steps going to be?

2 Likes

When they donā€™t fit is my recommendation. Unless you know your tent RH. Itā€™s above 50%.
Other than that donā€™t over water. @Capt.Cola

3 Likes

Iā€™d keep a dome on mine 'til they were a foot tall but like the man said: until they donā€™t fit haha! (About 2 weeks)

3 Likes

Really? Lol Saran wrap a tomato cage or what haha

2 Likes

I got these koram seed starting trays and I love them. They have a vent on top to open up for air without removing the dome.

Here they are
https://www.amazon.com/KORAM-Seedling-Starting-Germination-Greenhouse/dp/B01LX0JBUU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?keywords=koram+seed+starter+tray&qid=1579473251&sprefix=koram&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTEM4MUIzVDFPUTNXJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTIwMTUxNFNJU0FQSTFEQ1dTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA3NTE0NzMyMDFHS1RNTDdZVEFBJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfcGhvbmVfc2VhcmNoX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

1 Like

Nice that it has a vent @Noctis420. I wasnā€™t sure with autos if I could transplant. This time I went directly into 5 gal fabric pot. Mine are a little smaller than your but must be close in age.

1 Like

What height should I have my lights? They are not the good lights you guys have but all I could get at the moment. One is a 600w vivosun that I think is really 180w veg power and 240w full spectrum and the other is a green go from amazon that says 190w nominal power. They are currently around 40" for germination. Should they go down? And should I use just veg for now or veg and bloom

1 Like

Hey @Capt.Cola Sorry about that. I didnā€™t remember you were growing autos, thatā€™s my fault. You are correct about not transplanting autos. Itā€™s best not to stunt them in any way possible.

A good way to tell if it needs more light is if it starts to stretch. You can leave the bloom button off for now to save power. I would probably start with your weakest light and put it at 24". Just watch the plant closely once it sprouts. The 600w is going to be really strong for a seedling imo. I used to use Mars hydro 300w LEDs for veg starting out at 24". The 600s are powerful. I only used them for flowering. This is just my opinion and what has worked for me. These little seedlings donā€™t require a lot of light and you can save some $ on your electric bill. Iā€™m assuming you have LEDs? You could slowly lower it down as it grows. If it grows tight nodes then itā€™s to close and if stretches you know itā€™s to far. There are other signs the plant will give you if itā€™s to close. Just be vigilant. Hope this helps. Happy Growing :seedling:

1 Like

No worries @Noctis420 thanks for helping me out. Iā€™m not that familiar as to if the seedling is stretching they just showed themselves this morning but seem like they already grew. Iā€™m only misting the soil and have a plastic cover on them. I will keep an eye on them. Would I keep my lights at the same height even if wattage is different? Thanks again @Noctis420

2 Likes

Youā€™re welcome @Capt.Cola you should just mist inside the cover and not on the soil. Be sure to lift it up a few times a day to give it fresh air to avoid any fungus. As for wattage the more watts the stronger it is. I read that the vivosun is recommend to be hung at 18" to 24" for flowering. Iā€™m not sure about the height of different watt lights. Iā€™m trying to come up with a good answer for you so Iā€™m doing some research.

2 Likes

Ok so I looked up all the Mars lights that I have. Iā€™m pretty sure all these leds are quite similar. I have these a 300w, 600w and 720w and they all say this.

Recommended Hanging Distance: Seedling: 24"-30", Veg: 18"-24", Flower: 12"-18".

Any chance you have the original Packaging? They usually come with directions. I believe I have all mine but I donā€™t have access to them at the moment. I think what Iā€™ve found is pretty accurate. Also I love helping so tag me anytime.

@Capt.Cola

2 Likes

@Noctis420 I looked through the vivosun paperwork at least 4-5 times. All I can find is 4x4 at 24" and 3x3 flower coverage at 24". I think Iā€™ll lower them according to the heights you listed and email vivosun in the mean time. Maybe Iā€™ll replace light before next grow!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great idea @Capt.Cola You should consider horticulture lighting group. They really are amazing lights and your electric bill will be much cheaper compared to these purple leds.

Hopefully one day I can get one of the horticulture lighting lights. Bit out of my range even if I upgrade. How are the mars lights @Noctis420. It looks like they are more affordable.

2 Likes

They arenā€™t bad, but just not very efficient. They did pretty good tho. You can check out my old Journal here Noc's 2018 Grow Journal.
During the summer I had heat problems while using multiple Mars lights. That journal was when I didnā€™t have any hlg lights. You can get the pre-assembled hlg lights for pretty cheap. I use the hlg 65w ($100) and 100w($150). Iā€™m still waiting to upgrade further.

2 Likes