First time grower needs advice!

After 25 years of burning I have decided to grow my own. I am thinking of using auto flowering seeds for my first grow. My tent is a 4x4 vivosun with a 600w vivosun led light, small fan for air movement, and a ventilation system. 3 or 5 gallon smart pots with a mix farm fox soils.
Is there anything else that I need to get going? Any advice or help would be appreciated as there are many different thoughts and opinions on growing.

4 Likes

You’ll definitely need a ph and tds meter as well as ph up and down.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t start more than about 1 plant with that light. It’s not capable of covering that entire 4x4 adequately for flowering.
AfgVet Covered the important bits. Definitely need those. Digital one is recommended. Not the strips, not accurate enough.
Welcome to ILGM! :seedling:

5 Likes

What water will you be using , general tap water , well water , rain water . Tap water needs to be sat out in the sun for at least 24 hours . And well water can have lots of dissolved minerals in it also . oh and welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

Solid advice so far.
Welcome. :metal:

2 Likes

Do you have one that you recommend?

If I were to add another light how big should I go

I would use tap water and let it sit or I can use filtered tap water. If I let it sit for a few days in a bucket is that going to be ok?

2 Likes

I use blue lab and apera instruments are recommended by many.

1 Like

For a good reliable PH meter I would suggest this one. This is about as low of quality as you want to go…that is, if you wanna do things the right way.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ENFOHN8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9cCgEb26QQ735

For an LED grow you want to have around 40 watts per sq ft. So with a 4x4 it would be 4x4=16…take 16x40= 640 watts. You can find horticulture specific lighting at websites like Horticulture Lighting Group, Rapid LED, Arrow, Cutter Electronics, LED Grow Light Depot, Pacific Light Concepts just to name a few.

4 Likes

You wont need DAYS to gas off the chlorine. Go to a walmart and grab a small fish tank air pump with an air stone, it’ll be like 20 bucks but well worth it. Fill a bucket, throw the air stone in and let it chill for 12 to 24 hours, you will be fine after that.

1 Like

Just an fyi I personally dont burn off my chlorine from tap water when watering my SOIL plants. The hydro guys pay 100% attention to this. All I’m saying is I get by w/o it along with many others so it isnt the end of the world if you are growing in soil.
Disclaimer - check your ppm & pH of tap water because there are plenty of ppl that have outrageous city water #'s which would make this step a necessity.
5 gal pots are usually the best bet especially if you plan on vegging over a month or so. You can definitely get by with cheap-o pens at the beginning. We are talking $10/$12 so it isn’t like your breaking the bank until you can save up or atleast KNOW growing is your thing.
Lastly welcome to the forum you stoner!

Thanks for the advice imSICKkid. I guess the best thing would be to test my water first and go from there. I will check out those lights today. Can I add a smaller light to my 600 and be ok?

2 Likes

LoCoRock is the cheap ph tester worth it just just for my first grow or two? Would I use the same ph tester for water only and to test soil ph? Sorry for all the questions. I’m really stoked to start my own medical grow. Thanks for having me…

2 Likes

Yeah you can add. But before your next purchase make sure you know exactly what you’re buying

@Capt.Cola HLG550 will cover a 4x4 adequately seed to harvest, Horticulture Lighting Group.
Or a Rapid LED kit that covers a 4x4 if you want to DIY a little. It’s a lot of space to cover properly especially for flowering.
I’m in a 4x4 though.

1 Like

Knock on wood I have a yellow Amazon one that’s a year old. Although it’s a backup now, I have 2 others…lol now that I think of it I could have ALMOST bought the Apera by now.lmao
And yes for runoff just catch some in a cup… when your baked and lazy you can get by w a cap… rotflmao

1 Like

FYI that is not a 600 watt LED. Any lighting you choose should be up front about the actual wattage. Not the ‘equivalent’.

I have been looking at lights, ph meters, ph up and down, soil etc. There is a ton of shit I need to learn. Thank you to everyone for your input

1 Like

I run 2 light kits of HLG 260xl rspec for my 4x4 and it’s more than enough light. Because the light you have just isn’t enough.

1 Like