First time grower, need some help please!

Hey all,

I’m a first time grower, growing a plant from some bag seed and i also have a clone growing as well.

So, everything had been going well until Wednesday afternoon when two things happened;

I received my new lights and i sprayed both plants with a premade pyrethrum spray i bought from the hardware store to get rid of what im 99% sure were probably fungus knats.

I gave the plants a good spray during their night period a couple of days ago, and i installed the new lights I’d received…
(I went from a cheap chinese ‘120w’ red blue that had about 1300 .1w leds and actually drew 64w at the wall to two ‘300w’ galaxyhydro full spectrum lights that use 3w chips and actually draw more like 150w each) so i do have a fair bit more light now…

Now the clone still seems healthy and isn’t showing and obvious issues from the pyrethrum or the new lights… it seems fine.

But the seedling has cracked it. When i checked on them probably about an hour into their first day session with the new lights and (about 3 hours) after their spray, the seedling had wilted like crazy and had white spots all over it.
I figured it might be light burn (guessing not the spray as the clones fine?) as the seedling is still fairly young and ive read that younger plants can be more sensitive to light, so i moved the lights up. I also wondered whether the pyrethrum could have hurt it so i got worried and tried to flush the soil with a really good water but that seemed to exacerbate everything and made it wilt more. So then i was worried about having over watered it and i knew i didnt have enough soil in the pot anyway, so i used the opportunity to add more fresh soil and replant the seedling, which made it worse again and it looked dead af this morning. The soil was pretty dry so i gave it a small water with some nutes and seaweed extract, and this evening it seems to have perked up a little bit, but shes still not great…

A couple of things that cross my mind;

• the lights are sitting 22 inches about the top of the canopy currently.

• I do know the pot the seedling is in is too large for its size so have been trying to be careful not to over water

• I’m using new organic soil designed for vegetables and have largely been avoiding giving extra nutes. I have been giving them some seaweed extract solution which both plants have seemed to love so far. Be great if someone know whats wrong with her

The first photo is how it was before installing the new lights, the second is a couple of hours into its first day period (yesterday) with the new lights, the third is this morning after i transplanted it last night and the last is tonight after having given water and nutes this morning. Sorry for my rambling essay for anybody who reads my long ass post but your help would be greatly appreciated!

Happy to answer questions if needed…

Strain; Bag seed

Soil in pots in grow tent roughly 3 x 2 x 6
Soil is brand new, just purchsed for this grow, it is Scotts Pure Organic Premium Potting & Planting Mix… i only try to water when the top inch or so of soil is dry. I have had zero issues until two days ago when i received my new lights and sprayed the pyrethrum. They are the only differences i can think of

System type. N/a

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? Unknown as am still waiting for my ph tester to arrive

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: no idea what ec or tds is but the npk is 12:1.4:7

Indoor

Light system: 2 x 300w galaxy hydro. 3w chips. Full spectrum

Temps; Day 22°c, Night: around the same?

Humidity; generally around 60%

Ventilation system; Yes, 200cfm and a fan at the bottom to help move air around

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: no

Co2; No

1 Like

eb58368476153373ad29211248800732cb0d6ebd_1_375x500

2 Likes

Why don’t you fill this out and be as complete as possible. In particular document your watering practices and how you ph your water. What precisely is your soil? How old?

Probably a combination of things so let’s get more info.

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
Co2; Yes, No
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Done… hope that info helps

Thank you. So, a couple of things:

Until your ph meter arrives I would water with distilled water only.

No nutrients at all for 4 weeks.

When you can determine ph, 6.3 to 6.8.

Fungus gnats are a sure sign of over watering. The best defense is to allow your soil to dry out which probably didn’t happen. You can treat with hydrogen peroxide and water (1-2 Tblspn per gallon), dust the soil with food grade diatomaceous earth (DE) and hang some fly strips. This should eliminate the fungus gnats and get you back on track.

3 Likes

Thanks heaps! I’ll give all that a go and hopefully I can get this plant back on track!

1 Like