First time grower, need help with nutrients

I purchased Happy Frog soil. The guy at the store said it has enough nutrients for the first 3 to 4 weeks of growth (starting from seed). He said it should be enough till transplant. When I transplant I’m going into 3 gallon pot and am using super soil on the bottom and fill the rest Happy Frog figure 20/80 mix. Nutrients should be good for about 6 weeks from what I was told. So I’m looking into nutrients and I was going to go with the Fox Farm Trio and have been reading about other brands. Is Fox Farm good or should I look into something else? I’m on a budget and found the trio on Amazon for a good price.

I need some help and these forums are the best for it.

4 Likes

Many new growers start with FF Trio, myself included. Not sure how many stick with them. You can be successful with them, but you may find you will end up with ph issues and deficiencies. If you use them start to finish ,FF reccomends flushing with Sledgehammer flushing agent at various intervals. After having issues I switched to Jack’s 321. I’m going to link a thread that you can check out. This is the way I chose to go, but there’s many other nutrient lines that I believe would be better than staying with FF Trio. Here’s the link, read through it, it covers most of what you need to know about Jack’s. It would also be a good place to ask questions about other nutrient lines

5 Likes

I second Jack’s. I started with FF Trio and switched to jack’s because it is easier, less expensive, and you don’t have the salt buildup like you get with the FF Trio.

5 Likes

Like @Bulldognuts @MidwestGuy said I used FFT for the past 2 years grew some nice looking plants. But the flushing every 4 weeks is a pain in the butt so I just switched to Jacks this week

3 Likes

@Bulldognuts @MidwestGuy @Deepsix looked over Jacks and I’m going to go that way. Instead of weighing out measurements, is there a way to measure without a scale?

2 Likes

I’m not aware of any shortcuts. Proper dosing is very important. Quality scales are available on Amazon for ~$15.

4 Likes

At first it may seem like a PIA, but really, once you get a organized system to do it, it’s a breeze. I’m getting ready to leave the house, I’ll tag you later with a couple of ideas for making it easier. As Midwestgrower said, get a digital scale, make sure it measures grams and allows for tare weight. Really not very expensive, $15-$20 on Amazon. You may even be able to get one at Walmart.

3 Likes

NO it is very concentrated and the measurements (quatity) needs to be fairly precise. Measuring is very simple and the larger the volume mixed, the easier it is.
This is the scale recommended by some forum members that I use. Bullet proof and accurate.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HGWFBTV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I put the individual ingredients into a small plastic medicine cup (kind that comes in liquid cough syrup) to get weight (grams)
Another thing that makes mixing dry ingredients easier is a pump to agitate / mix everything together
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UA7NQR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

I’m a fairly new grower myself.and try to keep
It simple. Im using the Happy frog and super soil combo. I ran the HF all through veg without any nutes, with the exception of one dose to help with the stretch. Vegged about 6 weeks. I use Age old so don’t know much about the FF line up. A lot of smart people talk about that Jacks 321. Once I run out of my liquid stuff. I’m seriously thinking of converting

1 Like

I started with fox farm trio. Easy enough to use. It does have some short comings in that you need to supplement calcium & magnesium. It also builds up in soil so you do need to have good runoff and flush occasionally.
I have a couple grows in using Jack’s and coco. As long as I am using Jack’s I will use coco. And vice versa.
I use the combination in autopots and when I top feed.

3 Likes

@90sStoner What is the ratio your using of happy frog and super soil?

Going to order scale and Jack 321.

Thank you for your help

1 Like

@beardless so you use the agitator to mix the ingredients?

If I made a gallon of the solution, can I store it or do I have to use it all at once?

Thank you for your help

I agree there’s a lot of smart people using it, I’m not one of the smart ones. I just wanted to make things as simple as possible.

1 Like

BNuts I wouldn’t change a thing given the buds you put out

1 Like

It can be stored. If it is a couple of days you may want to recheck pH. It does go up. I use it in my autopots. I’ll mix 5 gallons and it will take a couple of days for the plants to take it in. The ph will go from 5.8 (coco) to mid 6 in a couple of days. This is my gallon to liter conversion chart. I find it easier to use metric volumes rather than imperial. I find it easier.

Grams
Description Liters Gallons A Epsom B Bloom
Mix Rate Per Liter Constant 1 0.951 0.317 0.634 1.479
Mix Rate Per GallonConstant 1 3.600 1.200 2.400 5.600
2 Likes

Oh yes, I’m locked in on methods :slightly_smiling_face::+1:Eventually I will move to Coco coir, but probably not until I retire and have more time to do some experiments with different methods.

2 Likes

@beardless that is awesome thank you. All you guys have been a great help.

1 Like

That is my philosophy, simple as possible
Learning from my small mistakes along the way

I put a 1/4” of sand on bottom of fabric pot to keep the gnats away. Then 50/50 HF and super soil then top half of HF

1 Like

Hey, I realize this isn’t necessary, but I just wanted to illustrate how easy mixing Jack’s is. I mix up 3 or 5 gallon containers at a time. So I will use 3 smaller containers and pour water from larger container into each. Then measure each part out and add to the 3 smaller containers. This way I can shake each container with separate parts much easier than trying to mix properly in one large container. Then pour in large container and ph, then you’re done. I can mix 5 gallons in 5 minutes.

All the accessories lined up and ready.