First time grower, many questions

Hello there all,
Ok so…first time growing…had this lil guy for a while now and it’s not really going anywhere I’m a bit confused. I used a bag of potting soil I had in the garage, I water it ever few days, put it outside during the day or in the window for light. I recently transplanted it and buried it a few inches deeper so it’s not so tall n thin. The weather outside is breezy so it’s getting some breeze. It’s still super skinny and the leaves are now shriveled a bit. Not sure what to do. Help!

First of all welcome to a brilliant forum. Won’t be long till you get the all the answers you need. These plants generally need stable light, stable humidity and stable temperatures to flourish. You won’t get that on a window ledge I’m afraid. Your lighting requirements change as your plant goes through the various stages of its life as well. During veg, which is where you are now by the looks of it your plant needs 16+hrs daily. Your temperature needs controlling as well, ideally between 70-80. Are you growing inside or out just now.

3 Likes

Welcome to forum. @Davyg has addressed two main issues. Lighting and temperatures .Your plant is tall and thin because it’s stretching for light. Basically you need to provide stable environment. There may be other issues such as type of soil and nutrients, but those aren’t going to matter until you stabilize environment.

1 Like

Hmmm ok. I have been placing them outside in the sun daily until nightfall. My home never goes below 70 degrees even at night. I generally leave the windows open during the day for fresh air. Is there a wattage and kind of light that you can recommend? I noticed today the leaves are starting to yellow!!! What Is causing this? Also, can I place both my plants under the same light? I have a small seedling as well about 1/4 the size of the one in the photo. Thank you for your help.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! We about to peel back the layers of the onion so hold on. Light, humidity, temperature and now water. Where are you getting the water? Is it straight tap water? Tap water can have chlorine in it, if yours does let it sit uncovered for at least 24-hours. During that time the chlorine will off gas. Have you measured the ph of the water you are giving?

Fill this out and it will help us help you.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner

Ok here goes.

• What strain: Both unknown, I found one growing in a planter at my grandmas house (haha thanks aunties) and the other came from a bunch of misc. seeds I’ve found over time in my stash.
  • Method: Vegetable growing soil from Lowe’s. I feel bad admitting it but didn’t take this seriously until I actually had some seedlings that took.
  • Vessels: Pots, black pots like nurseries sell plants in. They have holes in the bottom.
  • PH of Water: no idea. Was using tap water, will start leaving in a jug for 24hrs prior to use.
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable: n/a
  • Indoor or Outdoor: little of both, I put them outside in the sun during the day and bring them in at night to control temperature
  • Light system: n/a, would like some examples of good wattages/brands/types to use please
  • Temps: at or few degrees above 70
  • Humidity: I don’t know.
  • Ventilation system: n/a
  • AC, Humidifiers: n/a
  • Co2: No
2 Likes

2 Likes

Sounds like you did this on a whim. Is that correct? How far down the rabbit hole do you want to fall? You are kind of at the point where Neo was in the movie. Take the blue pill and continue on a basic path. Take the red pill and we can show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. A lot of us started by thinking how involved can this be? A seed, some soil, some water and sun light. To get good results it is a little more involved. Have you set a budget?

5 Likes

Hahahahaha. I am the type who will always take the red pill. I’m not trying to do this expensive, I have a baby on the way and a brand new house with expenses like landscaping which is appalling at how much things are going to cost me. However I realize that in the long run this will save me money with how much I yield from these to plants vs what I would be spending on bud from a dispensary. I would like to do this the right way and get a decent crop but not burn through money to do so. Is this possible or am digging myself a hole? Haha I’ve always wanted to grow, the more I read the more interesting it becomes. It’s a fun experiment right now being in quarantine. I am also planting a vegetable garden, so if I am trying to get products that will benefit both these crops (also this gives my non-stoner husband more incentive to support this hobby hahahahaha) I understand that fox farm nutrients and coco coir among other things are good for both hobbies. I am a sponge, let’s learn me some grow-skills! I really appreciate the help.

3 Likes

Okay the. Have you read this?

How many plants would you like to grow at a time? One thing to be very careful of is bringing plants outside and then into a “sterile” tent. When they are outside they can pick up all kinds of pests which are a pia to get eliminate. Coco is a good medium but has no nutrients in it so they need to be added. Several on the forum use coco and Jack’s 3-2-1. When the plants start growing well you will need to feed everyday maybe every other with coco. I’ve never used Jack’s but I’m going to give it a try on my next run this fall. It is inexpensive, only has 3 parts and works very well. As far as a medium you may want to look at happy frog or fox farm ocean forest. FFOF is considered a “hot” medium because it has enough nutrients in it to get the plant through week 5 or 6 with just water. Happy frog is the kid sister to FFOF has nutrients just not as much.

If you will grow inside some of the basics you will need.
A light. Plan on spending some good $ here. It will be your biggest expense and have the most influence on your harvest.
Tent
Ventilation With carbon filter…these babies smell great in flower but unless you want everyone who comes in the house to smell it ya need a good filter.
Timers
Extension cords
Ph meter must have
Tds/ppm meter must have.
Soil
Pots
I’d recommend plant trays to catch the water.

If you have a hydroponic store in your area they can be a good resource and a lot of times have kits set up that include almost everything you need.

Outside. Is a whole different game. Water, food and you have all the light you need. Smell to overcome and whether you are in a legal state or not,

2 Likes

Looks like @Bubblehead has this nailed. You’re standing on the edge ready to jump in. Lights go from cheap n nasty right through to expensive n super effective. If you’re going to jump in you’re going to need to control everything and that has a cost. I did the greenhouse grow and it was really poor. Wasn’t worth the effort if I’m honest so I took the red pill and jumped :scream:. The rewards were worth it but trust me it comes at a cost. Start searching on here for lights, fans, filters, fertiliser/nutes, timers, PH and PPM. Get an idea of cost, if it’s indoor then the cost will go up. If it’s outdoor the risk will go up, pests, diseases and theft :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: to name a few. Ask away on here and someone somewhere has probably done what your thinking

1 Like

Oh my. Ok. I think I’ll go with outdoors. I am only going to grow the two that I have for now. Sort of a trial run if you will. I live in a safe neighborhood, but my yard shares a fence with a cops home so this is gna be tricky. Fun times. It’s legal in my state and city and I do have a medical license so I’m good. I think I’ll just plant something that masks the smell. So a greenhouse isn’t worth it huh? Even a makeshift one with tarps and pvc? But then would I still need lights? My yard is shaded 1/2 of the day. The tarp/pvc greenhouse is where my mind automatically went. Indoor seems costly. I can still keep them in pots outside? What size? Can I keep them in what I have them in now for a while? Should I change the soil to the FFOF now? I have a nursery near me that sells fox farm soil. I have been eyeing it for a while. I was bringing them indoors at night to keep their temps at 70 at least because it gets a little bit cold at night still like in the 60s. Putting them in a tarp greenhouse would help control the temp a bit no?

1 Like

@Davyg @Bubblehead

1 Like

Greenhouse would make it a bit more controllable for sure. My very first attempt happened pretty much the same as you. I had a few seeds, some soil and 3 plant pots. How hard can it be :thinking:. I did everything wrong. 2nd attempt was when I landed here and they grew like crazy in the greenhouse, so greenhouses do work. Just read plenty before you jump :sunglasses:. There are a few outdoor growers on here. I think @Covertgrower or @Myfriendis410 might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. Have a look at “auto flowering” seeds as well. They grow for a fixed period (10-12 weeks something like that) flower then die back regardless of the time of year. Tomato feed is really good once they start to flower as well. What is your temperature outside just now, both night and day.
As you’ve probably gathered, this forum is really active and someone, somewhere in the world will be coming online and helping out shortly. Do you know anyone that grows. That wouldn’t mind sticking your babies in with theirs. Just a thought

2 Likes

You can use a greenhouse, and FFOF. 60f is still okay for cannabis to be outside.

4 Likes

Ok so I am gna make a small green house. @Covertgrower I am thinking of putting FFOF on the bottom 1/2 and crazy frog on the top 1/2. How much perlite should I add to this if I am using 5 gallon buckets? 6cups? And do I mix it all In with the bottom layer or throughout the top and bottom layers of FF soil? I appreciate the help. I am going to build a small hoop greenhouse in the next week or so. Meanwhile I will be leaving these two plants outside permanently right? I’ve been moving indoors at sundown. From what I’m reading that is unnecessary.

2 Likes

@Davyg @Covertgrower @Bubblehead
What is happening here? :scream::scream::scream: my poor plant. I stuck him outside and he’s shriveling and turning white. I am going to have FFOF and happy frog and perlite within the hour so should I transplant him or water him :pleading_face: I’m so sad.

2 Likes

I looks like this has been happening for a few days if not longer. Go back and look at your first picture you posted and you can spade the beginning. I think it looks like a nitrogen deficiency. I arrived at that conclusion by following the chart below. Not knowing the ph of the water makes it harder to diagnose the issue. I’d recommend an inexpensive ph and tds/ppm meters from amazon.

These are not what I normally recommend but if you’re on a budget they will work.

https://www.amazon.com/VIVOSUN-0-05ph-Accuracy-Readout-Temperature/dp/B06XKMH86J/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Ph+meter&qid=1587597141&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExV005S1RKOUdUSTJVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODM5Nzk3WUtNVU1ONFIyVDhPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4ODc5OTZMRDdLT1U1NE4xTkEmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

You will also need some ph up and down. It looks to have started in lower leaves and moved up over time.

https://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Control-Kit/dp/B000BNKWZY/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Ph+up&qid=1587597209&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMks4MVZTOVdPR08yJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDgwMjg3MVk1QlpSQTgyVzE4WCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMDk0MzI5MUc3RDNBQlZWRThEMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If the ph is out of wack it can lock out nutrients.

Nutrient_Chart2

I arrived at nitrogen by following this chart.

3 Likes

The neo reference is awesome and completely accurate.

3 Likes