First time grower looking for perspective on plant progress

Those look great to me. That what I call oops stress training. Or at least a light saber. Ha. The plants are tough and will bounce right back. They all look perky. If you were going to have a problem the whole branch in question would have limp leaves and look deadish by now. You are golden. Nice trim job too👍. It looks like you meant to do that.

3 Likes

From a fellow babbler that enjoys coffee, I appreciate the essay. I also run living soil and love to see others with the soil bug. I will check out your threads. I am still learning about all the characters on this site. It’s like the big city with districts and neighborhoods.

2 Likes

Hey again grow gurus.

I think the plants ended up not too much worse for wear. They’re at 65 days above dirt and I think they look pretty good (but I also don’t know anything). I suspect they are too close to the grow light, but I can’t raise it any higher, so I just have to roll with it.

They’re starting to frost up and I’m thinking they may be ready for harvest in a week or two. I’m curious to learn how folks determine harvest time. I’ve done my reading and my intent is pay attention to the color of the trichomes…but I don’t feel like I’m getting a close enough look to really appreciate the color. The pistils are still mostly white. I’ve purchased a jeweler’s loupe with 60x magnification and a cheap “phone” magnifier that is supposed to be 100x magnification (but I’m not convinced). Does anyone have recommendations of decent magnification equipment? I’m struggling to determine if the trichomes are clear or milky:

Your thoughts, experience, and guidance are appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m monitoring trichrome color and I think they are mostly clear. Blue Dream looks great, the buds are getting pretty fat. I’m not as sure about Blue Cheese. The leaves are starting to yellow, and I’m worried it could be nutrient deficiency. I’m hesitant to do another round of compost tea because I’m not sure how much longer these plants have to flower. They’ve been above dirt for 10 weeks, but only flowering for bout 5 weeks (I think). From the reading I’ve done I’m also expecting that the leaves will start to yellow naturally as part of the flowering process, so I’m not sure how to interpret what I am seeing with this plant,

Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s just the color change that comes close to harvest. I don’t think you want to try adding nutes now

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply @TomServo! You’ve put my mind at ease. I’ve been watching your Blue Dream grow and hoping my buds fatten up like yours :wink:

1 Like

Nice looking group!! Do you have your exhaust fan above the light and could possibly relocate for some more height? For harvesting I would say at least 3 weeks. The upper growth looks great and typically they start cannabilizing the lower leafs a little later than 5 weeks in flower. What nutrients are you using in flower :love_you_gesture:

A little soon for checking Trichomes, the pistils will turn brown and start receding back towards the buds… time to start checking the buds , not sugar leaves :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

I’m using living soil, I’ve done a few rounds of compost tea to boost the microbes, but that’s it.

3 Likes

Any new photos of the Trichomes, you must be close now.

@TomServo - A few from this morning. I still can’t tell if these are clear or milky.

2 Likes

Can you post an over all bud pic, this is a sugar leave and will turn amber sooner than the buds :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Pic would help

My eyes aren’t too good but I see mainly cloudy and clears

A few with more perspective. I guess I’m not clear on the best way to grab pics of the trichomes… it seems like I can only snap pics of sugar leaf when I’m zoomed in close enough to see the trichomes.

Do these give you the right view?

Thanks for the guidance!

1 Like

Hi I’m in Australia…been on medical rocky buds.thc30 , … I found a seed …I planted it …not thinking.sprouted 2 days …had no lights no heat just a skylight and managed 6 hrs sunlight…1 week it survived well…now a 1200 viperspectre …a oil heater and fan? …it’s in week 7 …growing.well…in soil old tent.75f or less but light blue at 20 DLI…now I turn to 40 DLI or 35 and use 50 red 50 blue…I have seasol a fish based fertilizer and thrive a old packet 5 years old…minimal nutes.these seeds seem tough as …and I realise with an investment of 100 million…these must be good…I’m wanting to know how the seed germinated and will I get more…as I have only 1 plant…this weed is el jefe …really but been modified more…fed larvae fungus…Coco stuff…all organic…now it is growing in a mixed ready made soil …it seems fine …just your thoughts on seeds…if it will give me a few …I’ll clone…even though it’s frowned on …glad to meet talk to U all.ill be high up soon …my rocky joint beckons

Sorry I wrote on this site…I’m not certain whom to ask…glad your smokers…I also had 55 thc bubble hash…here…in oz.was luxury …but I’ve had Bombay black afghanigold all sorts 40 years ago…it was all I smoked really as a kid…lucky…but these medical strains are as good…if not better…so my questions are selfish…do I get any seed this time or was it a fluke…as this company is selling to Europe…I spoke to someone…who was amazed 30 0ervent thc…it…is…I’ll send pic…

Gorgeous buds Growmie!! Looking at the white pistils I would say 3 weeks left. Once all those white hairs (pistils) turn brown and start receding back into the bud that’s a good time to really check the Trichomes. A jewelers loop or mag glass work best and recommend getting one :love_you_gesture:

I harvested both plants on day 90.

Blue Cheese - The senescence was very pronounced on this plant. Many of the leaves were starting to crumble. Trichomes were mostly cloudy (I think), but there are some amber trichomes as well. I’m not certain the plant was at its peak, but I’ll be out of town next weekend, and I was worried I would miss the window. Wet yield was 490g, with stalks.

Blue Dream - The leaves were still mostly healthy green with some yellowing. I probably should have let this girl go another week or two. Wet yield was about 460g.

1 Like