First time Grower- I thought this was gonna be easy

No problem I understand, and I’ll do the same for you, those lights are powerful! @FloridaSon

1 Like

your plants have to grow through that “soil” (which looks like compost that needs to decompose more), the roots have to reach some better soil, the Fox Farm stuff (which may have a high pH but not usually, that pH probe is not the best choice for this hobby, they are okay for measuring moisture in the soil)…
Where did you use that probe to test pH, in the new soil or the old?

If you want to take the babies out of their pots and wash some of that bad soil off then re-pot them, the roots will be shocked but will be in a better place for future growth.
You could flush the Fox Farm soil before re-planting, plain 6.5 pH’ed water if you are certain it’s in the wrong range…Will you be getting a digital pH meter and a tds/ec/ppm meter (that will tell if the soil is “hot”, too high in nutrients)?

2 Likes

@kabongster I just have a little bit of the old soil in the new pots, its prob 95% Fox Farm, I agree with you that the PH soil reader I have needs to be improved, as of now i’m just sitting and playing the waiting game, I am seeing new growth everyday so i’m really not to worried right now and the soil is still moist from the previous rinse so i can’t alter anything, hopefully in a couple days i’ll be able to water them again and lower the ph.
Thanks for the advice.

2 Likes

that’s all you can do…and they will improve give them time, they are resilient! :wink:

‘I have tried potatoes, DE and sticky traps and that didn’t seem to do the trick for me. I bought some gnat nix and that seems to work better because it doesn’t turn to clay once it gets watered like the DE does.’

I put funnels in & water through them - at about 2-3 inches deep, this keeps the DE cover from getting wet. If (like me) you spill when watering just wait for it to dry and break it up, or scrape off and re add DME. I leave the funnels in, covered by Yellow sticky Pads. All pretty simple and quickly dealt with while checking your grow.

I have seen just one gnat since applying the DE in mid-veg and I don’t think she got anywhere, my 3 WW ladies are now in 3rd week flower stage and looking good - thanks to lots of reading in the Grow Bible and in here.

4 Likes

I’ve battled pests myself in the past. I know what a drag it can be. Good job on getting it under control. It’s a very good feeling when you get it down to just one little critter to after what it began with.

2 Likes

@blackthumbbetty @Countryboyjvd1971 @Oldstoner @kabongster Hey guys, its been about 2 weeks since i have transfer the plants into larger pots and added the FFOF soil and they look great. I am attaching one of the pics from this morning if anyone wants to see. Thanks for all the help and love all the feedback.

8 Likes

I’m glad you’re happy with the results! :smile:

You will see how valuable patience is as you learn to understand this passion of ours.

4 Likes

The excitement mounts . Good luck . It can be nervous stuff when you start but the guys here are a great resource

3 Likes

For those playing with things like fungus gnats but don’t want to use chemicals or buy expensive pesticides, try to get their hands on DE, etc, here’s a solution I found in the Old Farmers Almanac which worked.

Cinnamon, a damn good dusting of cinnamon on the surface. The adults hate it, it drives them mad. Think of the idiots who were trying to eat spoonfuls of the stuff and posting the videos online, how that affected them, then think of what would be a much higher concentration on the body of a tiny insect.

If it doesn’t kill the adults outright, then they won’t go near your soil/compost to lay eggs meaning you do the one thing necessary to rid yourself of them called breaking their life cycle.

You can get the stuff pretty cheap at any supermarket, it’s 100% free of nasty toxic chemicals, doesn’t affect any plant of any kind, you just have to put a new layer down after watering to make sure any adults stay away from the surface and, well, die without laying more eggs.

Worked for me when I got hit by these little things, and I guess it would work on any other bug that needs to lay eggs in the soil.

10 Likes

And, cinnamon also repels spiders! My house has cinnamon sprinkled in some very weird places, b/c I do not like spiders.

7 Likes

Wow Thanks for the info

@blackthumbbetty @kabongster @Countryboyjvd1971 @Oldstoner @FloridaSon Hey guys, i am getting close to flower stage, I leave for a trip in 12 weeks, i have 4 WW Fem plants, using a indoor grow tent, 323263 and a 150 Watt HPS light, any one can ball park how long I need for flowering to be complete? I know their are several factors that come into play but I just need some rough estimates. Thanks In advance, Swiss

2 Likes

Min 90 days gor flower
You can check each strain on seed bank web site for specifics

3 Likes

What’s DE? I’m old don’t know these abbreviations

1 Like

Yep, seed bank says 8-9 weeks. You also want dry and cure time before you go. 12 weeks from trip? Is say flower now.

1 Like

Diametatious Earth. You only want the food grade for our girls. Good natural pest control for soft bodied insects.

3 Likes

@Rick3
Here a link to DE

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/

Lots of good info on uses etc
As @FloridaSon mentioned use inly dood grade DE the stuff uses in pools will hurt you

3 Likes

Thanks Bud

Order #2445
Thank you Richard

@Countryboyjvd1971 is there a page or thread on what Abbreviations?
Or where can I start one for New people like me?

2 Likes

every plant is different, the numbers given are an average…put them into flower as soon as possible, adjust the lighting to 12/12…they may take a week or two before hairs, pistils, show up and then the next stage of waiting starts.

1 Like