First time grower here

I followed the directions for auto flowing germinating so far. I been soaking a seed in a glass of water for about 24 hours ( 2 hours left). Directions tel me that it will grow a root tip or sink to the bottom of the glass. 22 hours in and its still at the top just floating. I also just read that after 24 hours of soaking i should plant the seed regardless if is shot a root tip or sinks. My question is should i let it soak longer then the hours 24 hours (wait for it to sprout a root tip or sink) or just plant as it. Will let it stay longer in the glass of water harm the seed? Thanks for your help in advance.

2 Likes

@Vape03 welcome to the forum. I have had seeds that float i just poke them with my finger and they sink. I would just wait for awhile and see if they develop a tap root. You just might have a stubborn one.

2 Likes

I did think of tapping it to see it is sinks. Is their a problem if I left it in the water for longer than the 24 hrs?

I have very little luck sprouting in just a water soak out of 6 seeds only one ever started in soaking. I then start the paper towel method and so far I have never had a seed not sprout in this combo method. Oh welcome to the forum.

2 Likes

No there is no problem letting them soak longer. My wife germinated her first seed back in May i kept thinking it was a dud. She said no i’ll just wait. Here is a pic of her Blueberry auto she planted on June 3rd

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. I was reading more about the paper towels method I’m thinking of trying it out. Also another question, I received 5 seeds but im only germinating one seed to grow one pant at the moment ( i just wanted to try one plant at first). Am I doing it wrong should i be trying to germinate all the seeds and planting only the ones that sprout?

No if they are good seeds I would not. I germinate just what I need, but like I said I have never failed to germinate. Germinating a seed needs moisture and heat. Soaking will work but water sitting around has no heat so when you do the paper towel method wet with warm not hot water when it start to dry reapply warm water. @beardless advised me when I started.

I’ve had one sit in water for 3 days straight trying to get it to pop. I finally placed in moist paper towel after it cracked, then waited for a tail. Total of 5 days.

2 Likes

Would it be ok if i transfer the seed from the glass of water and us the paper towel method now. Or should i use a different seed. Thanks for al the info you are providing.

Thank you im going to try the paper towel method. I was just going to plant because i did say if it doesn’t sink or sprout pant anyways after 24 hrs. But i rather it sprout before i plant it.

2 Likes

I would go ahead an do it, no reason not to but don’t touch it use tweezers or something to move it.

2 Likes

Thank you

No problem that’s what we are here for just tag me if you need anything else.

1 Like

I only grow 2 plants at a time. I keep mine in the Frig until i need them. That pic of my wife’s plant was a six month old seed we had left over.
Good luck with your seed and Happy Growing.

1 Like

Hey bud how do you germinate your seeds ?
Step by step if you don’t mind. Very much appreciated thank you

1 Like

@Dwit5306 welcome to the community. I place mine in a glass of room temp water for at least 24 hours in a dark warm place until the seed gets a tap root. Then place the seed on a fold plain paper towel with another plain paper towel over it spray it lightly with water put it in a zip lock bag in a dark warm place.Keep checking and misting the paper towel with water. when the tap root is about a 1/4 inch long i then bury it in a 1/2 inch hole in Happy Frog soil and watch it grow.

2 Likes

Make sure you use the cheapest paper towels good ones have small holes in them that the tap root can grow into and removing it can damage it.

If it’s new (recently ordered) seed: I’ll soak in tap water for ~24 hrs. Then I’ll take a paper towel and get it wet. Then I wring it out, open it back up, and then fold it onto itself twice. Place the seeds in there and then fold over again. I seal that in a ziplock sandwich bag and put it on top of my fridge. I carefully check it every 6-12 hours from there. As soon as I see a tap root I put it into a root-riot or soil medium. Then I put it into a high dome germination tray. Depending on the time of year, I’ll use a heat mat under the tray. I hang a mild light far enough above the dome that the back of my hand is comfortable on top of the dome.

Mistakes I made early on:

• Keeping medium too wet
  • Keeping light too close
  • Leaving to dome ajar and allowing too much dry air in
  • Not pulling weak/moldy sprouts immediately

Thanks I hope this helps.

Ive only used the soak in water method so far.
1st time 4 from 4 in 48hrs and recently 6 from 7 and 72hour soak as its cold here atm. Paper towel method is very popular but personally Id rather just use water unless its not working for you. I then put straight in 1gal pots of soil then 5gal at about 3 weeks.