First time grower. Help and tip request

Great, thanks for the input, I have ordered Biobizz CalMag (the only think i could find locally). Surely it can’t hurt, as i can see the bottom leaves starting to die.

The plant itself is very dense, the leaves are getting in the way of each other, LST helps but only so much, as the nodes themselves are very close to each other. Is it just the strain trait or is it my growing error?

I don’t have a hundred grows under my belt but what I know is this…

Indica- shorter busier shrub like
Sativa- taller lanky tree like

The node spacing can be genetic but more likely is a result of light height/intensity. Low light levels will cause a plant to stretch for it to get more, large node spacing. Intense light levels will cause the nodes to be right on top of each other, growing to avoid getting closer.

You adjust the light to match the siding you want by watching what your plant is doing.

This is Amnesia Haze Automatic which is 50% sativa, 20% indica and 30% ruderalis) :slight_smile: i think contrary to what i thought even the cheap ufo led i was using at up to 4 weeks was probably strong enough hence the short and dense plant :wink:

Now i am seing rapid growth and development of buds - very exciting, has to move the light up by 3inches as the plant grew so fast :slight_smile:

Watered today with 3more liters of water +50% of nutes (3base nutes + voodoo juice + big buds). The feed was 6.3ph, 800ppm. From that i got ~1liter of runoff which was 7.0 PH and 1150ppm. I think i will reduce my watering to 2 liters (to have the runoff of 20% rather than 30%) next time with nutes at 50% and maybe lower the ph even more, as it seems like i have somewhat reduced the “hotness” of the soil itself to an acceptable level for flowering plant :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re on the right track. Plants don’t need much to veg… but you’ll be very pleased with an upgraded light when it comes to flower. If you ever have the chance to feel low wattage blurple grown bugs… do it. Soft and fluffy.

Keep it up

Anything stands out as being wrong? I am doing LST to the best of my understanding, the highest bud is from the main stalk and too rigid to train it any more so i just left it alone. Is the spacing ok on it (pic2).

Last pic - from my understanding the yellowing and dying low leaves are due to nitrogen deficiency? Probably caused by the 3 flushes i have done over the last week? I have now started to use nutes again, so it should be ok from now on?

1 Like

Yeah, if it is getting stiff, best to let her grow the way she wants now.
Spacing looks pretty nice to me. Will be a nice size cola.
The yellowing may be nothing more than normal shedding. Looks like only the lowest fans.
The close ups do make it look like she is hungry.
Nice plant overall and far removed from where you started. Congratulations on your progress so far.

1 Like

Everything @HMGRWN said.

It is usually taught to complete LST before flower. But I think she looks wonderful. You’re going to really enjoy this hobby, I can already tell that. Nice work.

Thank you for the encouraging words @HMGRWN and @Underthestairs ! :slight_smile:

That is correct, those are the lowest leaves and those with pretty much no light on them…

Watered this morning with 50% of Nutes + 1ml of Biobizz CalMag. I will see how the plant responds to the reintroduction of nutes, thinking of increasing to 75% next watering in 2 days.

Runoff 300ml (15%), PH 6.9 and 1100 ppm (feed was 800ppm and 6.2 PH).

I started a little late after it was suggested in this thread :slight_smile: I also have a SCROG net, but i am not sure it is a good idea to put it up at this stage, especially since i find it difficult to understand how to use it properly. Might try to use it in the next grow :slight_smile:

That is correct, it got hooked on it, the only problem so far is that the wife still thinks that this is the one and only plant i will be growing… Not sure how i will be able to convince her to let me experiment further after this grow :smiley: maybe she will be impressed by my cooking skills (which i do not have, but i am willing to give it a shot)

1 Like

The key in my house has been including my wife. She doesn’t care about any part of the process other than researching the strains and their effects. So she gets to pick what I grow and orders the seeds. The rest is completely up to me. Well… she and the daughters also help pick names :rofl:

1 Like

so it is week 6 since potting, and week 2 of bloom. To my untrained eye seems like everything is more or less going ok so far.

The plant needs about 1.5 liter of water per 24 hours.

What puzzles me the most at the moment is the runoff PH. I have been trying to reduce ppm and ph for 9 days after i learned about the importance of runoff. First concern was the salt build up which led to a ppm reading of well over 2k. After 3 or 4 waterings with runoff i managed to bring down the ppm to 1.1k ppm. However, the PH of runoff has not changed, the water going in was around 6.4PH and the runoff was and is still dead on 7.0. last couple of watering’s i even reduced the PH to 6.1, but the runoff is still 7.0… How is that possible? :thinking:

Todays feed PH 6.1 and 1150 PPM, runoff PH 7.0 and 1250 ppm.

Anyways, I have increased my feed to 75% today (Micro, Grow, Bloom and Voodoo juice + Big Buds) from tomorrow i am substituting B-52 instead of Voodoo juice.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing that runoff isn’t the most accurate test anyway. Also my runoff numbers are dead where I want them without any extra effort. For technical things I always search @Nicky journals, he explains things with one of the most comprehensive approaches in the forum.

They look lovely, which is what I’m trying to go by most in my own grow.

2 Likes

Looking very nice. I am curious though, have they started to smell much yet?

@Underthestairs why thank you! That’s such a nice compliment u appreciate it!

1 Like

That is what i keep hearing here and there too :slight_smile: i think the main reason PH is a bit off is that it’s a ready made soil mix for flowers. I have since shipped Biobizz Light Mix soil which is made for growing these plants and designed for nutes from day one ( so if i somehow manage to convince my wife on a new grow, i think i will be set). Might try different nutes too, since i have learned that Advanced Nutrients line is PH perfect not for soil, but hydrophonics i believe, might try biobizz nute line.

This is my first grow and i went in with the idea of doing it for shits & giggles without any lights, nutes, tent, fans and etc., but somehow i ended up with a full grow setup :smiley:

The plant started to faintly smell week 3 of veg. I have no experience in how much it should smell or even what type of smell i should expect at certain stage of grow, thus i can’t objectively answer that question. I run a carbon filter, so the room does not smell (maybe just a little bit), when i take it out of the tent it does have a nice smell, but i expected a lot stronger smell at this stage (influenced after the discussion early on in the thread about odor control, i was thinking of growing it with no tent in a room with a chinese ufo led) :wink:

1 Like

My wife is the “pothead” so I’m “doing it for her”. Winning like Charlie Sheen.

1 Like

I’m in a different boat unfortunatelly. My wife is against pot or anything related to it, not even sure how i ended up growing this plant to be honest :smiley:

Against it? So she doesn’t know very much about it I’m guessing? Both my wife and my daughter deal with awful stomach pain/nausea with almost no appetite unless they use it first. It’s been a game changer for both of their comfort and for my daughter’s overall health. She was struggling to eat enough to have good nutrition.

I am very thankful for it. And I love edibles for sleep. Well I just love it for all the things.

I too am in love with weed :heart:

I am hoping that my culinary skills will help change this unfavourible view :smiley:

Anyways, one more thing that keeps bugging me:

Still 4hours to go until dark cycle and it’s already drooping. I understand that the plant learns when the dark cycle occurs and prepares itself for it. My question is: drooping 4 hours before dark cycle is it not too early? I am running 18/6 cycle from seed, makes me think that maybe i should shorten it to 16/8 or more, or is this drooping so early normal?

Have you used a phone app to get calculate your DLI? Not that I super understand it. There’s actually a thread that’s love right now about DLI and why you should use it!