First time grower. Help and tip request

The plant is going to start eating the nutrients she has inside her. It was @Dankloud who said it best with “cannibalistic cannabis”, I’m still chuckling on that one. So don’t worry about the leaves losing color.

Later in flower the demand for light decreases, if the leaves stay curled I’d recommend either raising the height or lowering your lights intensity. Could wait for a pro to weigh in on that one. I gave my White Widow a fair little light burn by not recognizing her desire for less light… live and learn right?

1 Like

Hmm. I started feeding the plant after my hols - i guess this could be the aftermath of feeding it just pure water for the time i was away… :slight_smile:

So they should return to normal if its too much light? I have raised the light by 5cm 2days ago and 5more this morning.

1 Like

Yeah dude, this late into flower you will start getting leaves turning yellow. It’s normal. I will say that the other leaves look like they areca bit darker than normal, which is usually a sign of too much Nitrogen. If you grow the same plant again, maybe try a little bit less Nitrogen. Each strain needs a slightly different amount of nutrients, and even 2 plants from the same mother plant could use slightly different amounts of nutrients.

1 Like

Thanks for the input @Dankloud, should i reudce or even stop the nutes altogether?

My runoff is 1750 ppmi. I had to flush a few times in between, as even though my feed is constant at 1400ppm, the runoff is not stable, and slowly increases eventually exceeding 2000ppm (at this point i just flush it with pure water once and go back to feeding with nutes)

Not sure why the salt buildup is happening as i go for about 20-25% runoff every time i feed in theory the buildup should not happen if i follow the same procedure everytime?!

1 Like

Yeah, let me tag a few others here. I’m still figuring some things out myself and don’t want to give bad advice! I think your plant is getting yellow because of age though, it is normal, but we will see what others say.

@Covertgrower @Myfriendis410

2 Likes

You’ll have less need to flush if you water to higher levels of runoff for sure. Dank’s got you set with tags.

I don’t think I’d flush if you’re not seeing any progressive issues. Runoff every watering around 20% and watch the PPMs go down till they tell you to feed again and see where you’re at.

That is what i have been doing since week 4 i believe (when i learned about runoff) :wink:

For about 4 weeks, feed and runoff was perfect - feed going in at 1250ppm, runoff slightly higher +200-300ppm and aiming for 20% at least… Last few weeks, i increased it to ~80% of recommended and noticed that the runoff is higher than +200-300ppm, slowly building up and eventually exceeding 2k ppm even though the feed going in is ~1500ppm.

Just now i reduced the nutes to ~60% recommended and increased to 25% runoff. Fed it at 1250ppm, runoff was 1550ppm.

Maybe my plant just cant take more than 70%of recommended nutes due to small pot :wink:

1 Like

I love everything about that reply.

Advice from the vets will be what you’re looking for from here. Great work

Assuming soilless media try this: feed and monitor runoff as you’ve been doing. When runoff is above input by 50% or so, just water until runoff numbers drop below your normal feeding strength then resume feeding. No flush involved and plants do fine.

2 Likes

Not sure i understand correctly, but i am using premade flower soil (50% compost, 40% peat 10% perlite). Not sure how “hot” it was initially, but i only started feeding nutes just before the end of veg (at that time i had no clue about the need for runoff and was just watering with no runoff at all)

After getting a ppm meter and learning about runoff - i watered the plant with 30% runoff with pure water, and it took about 4 waterings to bring the ppms to 300ppm. After that i started to feed with 700ppm and all was well.

Guess i bought the wrong ppm meter as it only goes up to 2000ppm… also, i don’t think my plant can take more than 1200ppm feed as giving more just results in buildup in soil…

Maybe i used the term “flush” to loosely, i meant watering with pure water and aiming for max 30% runoff, rather than the “standart” flush where you use 3x of water compared to the pot size. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Watered just now again, i think the plantjust does not need that much feed this late in the flowering, as i fed at 1150ppm and the runoff (25%) was 1850ppm. My uneducated conclusion ia thag thw plant is no longer in need for nutes as much and thus it accumulates in the soil…

So the question is:

1. Stop nutes completely
  2. Reduce it to 50% (~700ppm)
  3. keep feeding at 1200ppm but introduce pure water every 3rd or so watering once the runoff exceeds 2000ppm

What fo you think?

I wouldn’t flush unless you’re within say 2 weeks to chop. Just pH water and let her eat up what’s left. Again, any pros might point you in a different direction. But I only think about flush when my runoff numbers are out of whack, or my plants suggest they need something.

fresh pics:

I am guessing 2 more weeks until harvest? I am thinking of stopping nutes all together, what do you think? Or should i just use reduced nutes up until the last week and only use water for the last week?

4 Likes

Keep feeding, 3 weeks MINIMUM until chop there.

2 Likes

i guess my Amnezia Haze auto is just taking its time :smiley:

11 weeks tomorrow since potting it, so probably 13 weeks since sprouting :crazy_face:

i was expecting it to be more in the range of 11-12 weeks from sprout to harvest which i understand is the average time for Amnesia Haze autos :slight_smile:

seems like something is not right, but i can’t figure out what…

The leaves started to develop yellow spots… Top leaves are still closed up. Any ideas what is going on and what to do?

Strain: Silver Haze Auto
Medium: Soil (50% compost, 40 peat, 10% perlite)
Feed:
Advanced Nutrients 3 base nutes - PH perfect Micro, Grow and Bloom
2 additional Advanced Nutrients - B52 and Overdrive (as per nutrient calculator suggestion).
Since nutes are PH perfect for Coco, i increase the PH to 6.2-6.4 before watering with ph up.
Additionaly i add Biobizz CALMAG 1ml. Slightly less than recommended.

I have reduced the nutes to ~60% (of recommended dose) for last watering (previously i was aiming for 80-85%)
Feed going in:
3 liters of feed, i pour into the pot and wait 5 mins for the runoff.
PH: 6,3
PPM: 990

Runoff: 20-25% PH 6.3-6.4 PPM 1500ppm

I have just moved the light even higher to 42cm (was ~40cm) from the main cola and reduced the light to 75% (was100%) (Mars Hydro TS1000 150W real draw)

Temps in the tent: 25-26c during the light hours, ~23c at night (at night i do not run any fans)
Light shedule: 18/6
RH: 40-55% depending on the weather outside. Currently about 42%, but most of the time it is at 50%.

Any ideas?

Diagnosing is certainly not my strong suit. I believe @Nicky was saying he uses AN… maybe has thoughts?

Otherwise I turn to cats like @Hellraiser @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 @imSICKkid

I would be very surprised if it has much to do with your lights at this point.

You’re running inadequate light levels now; I would not reduce the output or move light higher. Runoff TDS is low for soil and would also suggest adding cal mag to your feeding regimen. Plant is showing signs of senescence but also some deficiencies: magnesium and possibly calcium.

1 Like

I was thinking the top leaves are wrinkling up due to light stress or heat?! Thats why i moved the light up and reduced the intencity… but what do i know :smiley: what could be the reason for the leaves wrinkling up other than heat or light stress?

What sort of ppm i should aim for? I thought that 1500ppm is about the right amount. Feed with nutes at 100% of recommended come in at about 1700ppm, and since i started nutes only by week 5, i only went up to ~80% of recommended. I aim for runoff to be about 200-300ppm more than the feed going in.

I am adding calmag with every feed, but i guess i am adding too little, note taken, will increase the amount next time.

Thank you for your input!!

1 Like

Your plant is consuming Phosphorus and Potassium and the plant will scavenge same from leaves: they will start to become brittle. You can determine that for yourself by pulling on one.

I mention the light because this is not quite enough light to flower out a plant. I would get it as close as you can and still provide light over the entire canopy. And crank it up.

In soil I would advise feeding at nominal numbers (3.6, 2.4, 1.2 in Jack’s) and not alternating with water only (if you are) until TDS exceeds 2,000 or so. This is for soil. In coco that value would be much lower like 1,200 to 1,500 ppm.

Plant actually looks good, the lower light intensity may produce looser flower but you’ll get a decent yield off of your plant. You’re doing good. Plants grown indoors and forced to remain seedless go through this life cycle you are seeing.

3 Likes