First Time Grower Health Check

Hi Everybody!

This is my first grow and I’m learning a lot! This is about a 8 week Northern Lights Autoflower. The leaves were a perfect green until last week. That is when I noticed the leaves getting darker and I’m concerned that I might have a nutrient issue. Any advice on if this is normal coloration for this strain?

Thanks in advance!

7 Likes

@GiantJ Welcome to ILGM. :+1:
The colouring in your leaves Looks to be temp or genetics related.
Also a bit of tip burn from nutes a bit too strong. Not bad but a sign that it was well fed.

Is that 8 weeks from seed or 8wks flowering ?

:v:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Thanks @Oldguy! That is 8 weeks from when it broke the soil. I was fertilizing once a week at half strength. I’ll cut back to let it recover. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

welcome aboard, you have come to a great place! nice looking plants.

1 Like

I agree with oldguy on all! Do you have any runoff #s or results of a soil slurry? Also looks as if the light intensity is rockin’ hard on that top cola or it could be genetics! What type light do you use?

2 Likes

I don’t, but I know my PH needs to be lowered. My soil measurement PH is around 6.8-7.0, which is higher than I would like. I’m using a Spider Farmer SF-1000 LED Grow Light Use with Samsung LM301B LEDs. It puts out a ton of light and not much heat.

3 Likes

Right, @Holmes, that cola looks strange? Is it foxtailing? Aren’t NL known to produce foxtails generally?

Continued success @GiantJ Lots of incredible growers here willing to share opinions for newbies like myself. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@PP3121 I have never grown NL but usually if it is genetics it will be more widespread. If just tops of upper buds, most likely lights too close or turned up too high, from my experience.

2 Likes

That makes sense. :+1:

2 Likes

Could be @Holmes @PP3121. I’ve kept a consistent 8 to 10 cm distance from the top of the plant. Doing some rough math on my light it looks like I’m well over the recommended lux or umol for the flowering stage. I’ll definitely be raising it now. I started this one before I knew about SCROG or any of the techniques for spreading a plant out to maximize it. The more I have learned the more I have been geeking out about all of the technical aspects of growing. Thank you for the advice!

2 Likes

You are welcome, that is one of the reasons we are all here! The other is because we like it so much! If you will fill out a support ticket and get some pics. of your setup we can help you tweak it or maybe see a potential issue before it is an issue! Also most plants will cannibalize themselves in the late stages, if you do not have a scope or loupe to check Trichomes now would be a good time to get one!
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed

Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF

Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths

PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)

PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sorry for the delay. The winter storms have been hell. Sorry for the picture quality. It is tough to take these without shaking or touching the plant.

What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed: Northern Lights Autoflower, NTH-FAP5, BIN: 04:03:02 16850904

Method: Organic soil w/ 10-3-1 Bat Guano

Vessels: Pots

PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable): measurements have been between 6.9 and 7.2, ordered pH down to lower it

PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable: n/a

Indoor or Outdoor: Indoor

Light system: Spider Farmer SF-1000 LED Grow Light Use with Samsung LM301B LEDs

Temps; Day 73 F, Night 78F (averaged)

Humidity; Day 31%, Night 31% (averaged)

Ventilation System; Yes,
Ventilation Size: VIVOSUN 4 Inch 195 CFM Inline Duct Ventilation Fan Vent Blower with VIVOSUN 4 Inch Air Carbon Filter Odor Control with Australia Virgin Charcoal for Inline Fan, Grow Tent Odor Scrubber, Pre-filter Included, Reversible Flange 4" x 14"

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, nothing dedicated, manually misting to increase humidity

Co2; No

You need to take pics of the calyx instead of the leaf! The leaves will mature faster and are not an accurate representation of bud maturity! Nothing easy about this until you do it a bunch and then you will see how easy it is to grow a “weed”.

2 Likes