First time grower - Going to grow outside Starting thread_2023

This is my 2nd year growing. I live in NYC, Last year a grew 5 plants to harvest, 2 white Widow, 2 Bubblegum and 1 AK47. I was a little late germinating, June11. I germinated in water and planted in 16oz containers which I kept on a south facing window sill. I started keeping them outside, in the daytime, after 2 weeks and fertilized with ILGM seedling fertilizer once a week. I moved them to 15 gal. Fabric bags on July 15. I harvested the end of September. They yielded 33oz. of culled buds.
This year I have 10 plants started, germinated in water April 28. Planted in the same 16oz. Containers , FF OF soil. I have kept them under a 4’ grow light, 24/7, watering with spray bottle 2x a day. Introduced to an hour of sunlight today, will increase each day and transplant to 15gal bags next week.

2 Likes

Beautiful plants. This for sure gives me some idea’s on how I should approach getting them outside. Thanks for tips, and would love to get progress pics of your girls.

I started late for us here in Texas, so I want to acclimate to the sun fast as I can.

When mixing the ILGM seeding fertilizer where you growing in FFoF?

If so when did you start to feed the girls one a week, and how much did you feed them?

So spray 2 times a day on normal days, but feed days with Fert’s what would be the mixture. From what I have read its enough for 5 plants, and I lost one =(. Others say FFoF is enough nutts for up to a month.

Let me know what you think.

1 Like

So I have been giving the girls around 10 hours in the sun, and the other 8 under shitty light. (Grow tent & Light will be here soon, so fingers crossed).

OG Skywalker are doing well, and the Runtz right behind them.
The Strawberry Cough has popped but seems to be stunted.

Might be the genetics because I lost 1 out of 2 so far. Still have hope though.

Close to 3 weeks in, and no fertilizer just FFoF ocean sea blend. For the 3rd week after sprout these still look small for how old they are.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

1 Like

They’re definitely looking better. Should be able to transplant to a bigger pot soon and burry the stems. Usually when the leaves overhang the edges of the cup it’s safe to transplant.

I’ve never used FFoF but I’ve heard others say it can be a little too hot for seedlings. Typically I use a seedling starter soil before transplanting to a super soil. This season I’m starting in a larger pot and put seedling soil on the top and cost of maine stonington (probably close to FFOF) in the bottom half.

So I did some forum hopping and I found the same about FFoF Ocean Sea being to rich.

Found out that I should transplant into Happy Frog "Much better for Seedlings and early stages).

Transplant into 1gal plastic pot before I switch over to 5gal. Fabric pot.

So everything about you think is good plan?

Are these photo period or autos? I’m not an expert yet, but I think if theyre photos, you’ll need to transplant again to something bigger than 5 gallon. Last season my plant was root bound in a 10 gallon. If it’s an auto, I’d go straight to the five gallon. You don’t want to stunt the growth by transplanting autos too much as they don’t always have time to recover before they flower and you’ll end up with a smaller plant.

They are Photo, yea.
I’m getting a 4x4 tent. Should have had it but they sent Spider Farmer setup… Having to ship back.

I only got 5gal pots, so going from 1 to 5gal is the plan.
When they outgrow the 1gal I’m going to Transplant into 5gal then move in 4x4 tent.

Is the 5gal still gonna be ok? I was going to try LST and trellis for more bud points and canopy pen.

Any ideas for 5gal pots?

Did you switch from wanting to grow outdoors to growing indoors?

I am also new to this and on my first outdoor grow. Only comment is depending on whether you are growing outside in enlightened state or ignorant state you might want to reconsider the bags. I used bags but when an experienced buddy saw them he said not just no but hell no, too visible. My first plants were autos so I did not want to disturb them so just dug holes for bags. From now on everything will go into the ground given my circumstances. I am in a similar climate

So I have kept the seedlings inside for night schedule, and leaving them in the sun for light cycle. ( I can leave them under a shitty light inside, but don’t have a powerful light yet.

I will be transferring them into a tent when it gets here.

I believe I found a couple issues I’m having.

1 big reason is I’m growing in transparent pots. Roots dont want to grow to the outside due to light / sun.

2 I have been under feeding, as the soil is always dry to my 2nd knuckle.

Plan: Place transparent pots in bigger pot & bury the pot until they get bigger to transplant, which atm the root ball is not growing as it should due to the transparent pot.

Anyone got ideas, or tips?

I moved my seedlings to 15 gallon fabric bags June1, about one month after planting. I used 1/2 of last years soil, 1/2 new FFOF. I left the old soil on the bottom and added some compost to the top. When transplanting I added a little starter fertilizer, don’t remember the name, just an impulse item last time I visited the nursery. Other than that I haven’t used any fertilizer. I noticed some yellowing/browning one a couple of leaves on a few plants. I’m thinking too much fertilizer. I will test the Ph and figure out a fertilizer schedule. I’m planning on using FF grow big followed by FF Tiger bloom. Last year I used 1 Tbs. Per gal. Of water, 1 gallon per plant every other day. I use a drip irrigation system which delivers about 2 gallons of water every other day.

4 Likes

When did you pop the beans, and start seedling phase? Just wanting to know to compare to my plants started early mid May.

So what is your environment Heat Humidity outside?

How long does the sun stay out for your girls?

So you’re going to grow them inside permanently once your tent comes in? If so, I’m not much help as I don’t grow indoors. 5 gallon pot might be ok if you flower them early enough, but don’t take my word for it. I do use fabric pots and they work well for me. I’ve also used plastic and clay and those worked fine too.

And yes good idea to cover the transparent pots.

I might go 2 inside 2 outside to compare yield, environment, & best of all quality.

So 5gal pot not good for outside?

1 Like

Nice! You’ll probably want a big pot for outdoors, especially if you want bigger plants. It will also make watering and feeding easier/less frequent.

Yea I might get 2 10gal for outside, and stick with 5gal for tent.

Hopefully I can get these gal’s growing healthy here in a week or so…

I’ll keep posting here with progress.

1 Like

Water question…

If I run water through water filter, and dechlorinating the water in 40gal cooler.

PH around 7-7.2. Is this fine or should I actually use PH down every watering / feeding?

To be honest I don’t know if bringing down the ph will make a difference. My tap has about the same ph and I’ve grown with and without adjusting ph, but I dont have enough experience to really say if one way was better than the other. I’ve read that if you plan to grow organic in living soil then you don’t need to adjust ph. I don’t adjust ph for my veggie/berry garden and the acidic loving plants don’t seem to mind.

Tagging some other folks who might know @JaneQP @Nip @AL_GREEN @Dforce @plumbdand

1 Like

I use well water and never had any problems, Honestly never ever checked it , Rain Water seems to be the best but I understand it’s a Gift from Heaven I hate droughts, Mabey Get a Rainbarrel and catch some up :cloud_with_rain::cloud_with_rain::man_farmer:t2:

1 Like