First time grower (go figure) looking for tips on the basics

Depends on pot size, when I have plants in 3 gal pots, they get 1/2 gallon. 5 gal pots get 3/4 gallon. 7 gal pots get 1 gallon. Those are all starting amounts, they generally go up over time so I add more water as need to get a nice amount of runoff with each watering. I like to see 20-25% runoff at every watering or feeding, makes for healthy plants and soil.

1 Like

I use the same as he said, in fact he probably told me how.

1 Like

@Hellraiser @SKORPION I followed what you both had recommended. I chose to do a flush with about a gallon of water on each pot. The next day I fed them by splitting two gallons of water between the three. Used 1 tsp of the floranova grow and 2 tsp of floranova bloom… it has been 2 days since feed and these are results below. Some terrible looking leafs popped up on one plant and the other two still look very yellow… not sure if I need to feed again or if over time it’ll correct itself?

Could it have anything to do with the fact I’m using tap water?

1 Like

Absolutely even if it’s with range ph wise there’s still chlorine (bleach) and other additives usually you fill up a bucket and let it sit 24 hours for additives to evaporate.

1 Like

Yeah, depends on your water, but I had much more trouble free grows when I switched to RO water. Problems take a while to correct, just need to keep her on the right path with water ph and feeding as needed.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser what is RO water? New to the term. Also I was wanting to lollipop my plants (I’ve read that can help your top colas). When is a good time to do so… also do you trim any of the fan leaves that are near the top of the canopy?

1 Like

RO = reverse osmosis, water that has been purified by running through a RO filter. Not as pure as distilled water but very close. My city has these water machines everywhere that you fill up a 5 gal water bottle for a dollar. Many growers buy a RO filter and use it at home to make their own from tap water.

2 ways to lollipop, wait til before flowering and then remove everything on the bottom half of the plant is the traditional way What I prefer to do is remove the branches as they grow in, why bother letting the lower branches grow big just to cut them off later? Seems like a huge waste of plant resources doing it that way. Better to cut them off as soon as you can.

On this plant, I removed lower branches as soon as they came in for the first 10 nodes, then I let 5 or 6 sets of branches (all at the top) grow in before flowering, making a monster bud tree.

1 Like

@Hellraiser that is beautiful… love the shape to it! I see some people do a very heavy trimming of leaves during flower… besides the lollipop, what are your opinions on it?