First time grower, first time topping

@Blue1
My clones are 3 to 4 inches tall.

What is the average grams produced per cola? Or does it change once you have 30+ per plant, since it’s not just one main cola? Or will the 30 I have still tend to grow towards being as a big as one main one? I’m just curious is it worth creating numerous colas, to the just one main cola? And I recently switched to 6 hours of light 2 hours of dark, etc 3xs a day, so it’s still 18 and 6. And once I switch to flowering the week before I’m going to reduce time 30minutes a day of less light until I reach 12/12, hopefully it makes a difference instead of shocking them into just 18 and 6 to 12/12 switch, kind of stimulate the change of time over seasons but speeded up in a week time lol. Any suggestions on that? @Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32

The more times you top you smaller you colas will be but that doesn’t mean yield will be less
You can look up average per plant on seed bank site
Thats fine ive heard of other doing that fir same reason i just switch mine to 12-12 tho

1 Like

@Blue1 @Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32
This is my clone that rooted in 3 days and this is it day 6 and it has massive root system already

4 Likes

You should cover the clear cup @zFiNeSsez roots dont like light fyi
Place a red cup over just make sure you drain it
Looks like you have a healthy clone for sure

1 Like

I know @Countryboyjvd1971, I was going to transplant but have no soil til Friday, so I need to find something to cover it. Need soil to plant my auto flowering plant in a big pot right away too.

1 Like

I agree with @Countryboyjvd1971 on both accounts. More tops generally means smaller tops.

2 Likes

#Whatmycoworkerdoesonhisdayoff… lmfao way off topic.

AHAHA
@Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 @FloridaSon

3 Likes

Hahaha too funny @zFiNeSsez

Looks like he lost a bet! LMAO

1 Like

As of today at 11am, they’ve done better in last two days then in last week with a switch from 6 hours/2dark x3 a day. Then 18light/6dark a day.
Here’s 5 clones off my mother, hopefully they root, I’m ghetto don’t have a dome, I’m just spraying them 4 to 5 times a day to keep them moist and humid.
And these grew in 5 days, roots already popping thru bottom, ones a random from a batch of sour I found on the ground lol, and the critical purple auto flower. I haven’t put them in light yet, they’ve just been sitting near the window while I spray them 4 to 5 times a day with water and clonex… I’m trying to get these plants to fill out into a sea before I flower so I’m using some LST, I’m done topping and FIMing, it’s counter productive at this point. I found the first top is pretty much the only one you need, have 4 to 8 tops produce, and then do some LST for more colas, I find any topping after that creates more tips, but slows growth and the colas dont have the growth and thickness from the original topping. And with LST after initial topping you can prevent slowed growth and increase colas more effectively. What do you guys think? @Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 @FloridaSon

3 Likes

I’ve had a lot of luck running single cola plants. I think where most get caught up is being in between multiple methods and/or not understanding how to apply a specific method.

If you’re determined to run a sog grow, that usually needs to be planned ahead of time. You run smaller pots, so the root growth kind of needs to be controlled early. Once you transplant to final pot, you need to be kind of accurate when to flip. You want them to establish some growth but not so big you get root bound mid flower. The smaller fabric pots can help with that. Then you need keep lower stuff from stealing energy from your tops without doing so much trimming it shocks them.

I got a little better every time I did it, so definitely takes some hands on experience. Light intensity also plays a pretty big role. You’ll end up with some huge colas, you don’t want the bottom half to be airy. I would say maybe try that kind of method on a couple plants and then some training on a couple plants. Then determine more of which way you wanna go on your next grow.

2 Likes

@dbrn32
Ok thanks sounds good, maybe the next cycle of growing I’ll plan on sog, I want trying to specifically do a traditional sog, I was more or less trying to train them so it was an even canopy, filled out so they all were leveled out and nothing was taller than each other. But thank you for the advice, maybe I’ll try different methods till I find what suits me best.

2 Likes

Just transplanted the little ones and two bigger ones into bigger pots.
Got the humidity up finally, just of just took a few days and some plastic wrapped around closet.

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 @floridason
Well I know some of you are against defoiliation, but I’m for it, I’ve defoiliated numerous times and within a week new growth produces more than without it. Here are current photos of what I defoiliated today:

I’ll post a photo in a week to show you results, it has helped produce numerous thick new colas.

2 Likes

It’s not that any of us are against defoliation. It’s that the leaves are what receive light energy and process for photosynthesis. So every time a leaf is removed, it’s the exact same result as having a leaf damaged.

There are certainly some benefits from calculated removal of certain parts of plant at certain times of grow. But it’s very difficult to clearly teach those methods through looking at pictures and typing. So most suggest you remove no more than is needed on behalf of peak photosynthesis rates is all.

1 Like

Yes, I only remove enough to allow light through to all of the plant, I dont remove every leave, I try to remove just enough to provide light to all parts of the plant

Most of the plants are 20cm high, but I forced wide instead of growing up, so their 40 to 45cm wide. So it’s like a foot tall and 2 feet wide around. And I defoiliated the one main plant and it filled back in, in one day like I didnt even do anything lol. They literally need water every day, and new growth appears over night. Northern lights is definitely a great grow.

3 Likes

Yep, not against it, I just don’t recommend it. I agree it forces branching, which can lead to more colas, but in my opinion those colas don’t carry their weight potential as if you had pruned without defoliation.

Again, my opinion.

I root for any growing method to be successful for the person trying it. Mainlining looks insane to me, but has proven benefits. I’ve thought about it since I have such a long outdoor season, but I never follow that thought to practice.

Thanks for the tag…

2 Likes

:+1: perhaps one of the most misunderstood concepts I see. Good on you my friend!

2 Likes