First time grower, first time topping

Well, it hurt me to cut about 3 inches off the top but I’m hoping it turns out better than normal, I know you’ll get two colas from topping and then further more once you top those two tops, etc etc… but here’s my question I have two nodes 1/8th of an inch from each other and the node I cut too has the same size nodes as the other one, could all 4 possibly grow into new tops? Or will it focus more in the two 1/8th of an inch above them…

Here’s before I topped.

Here’s the topped plant

And here’s the topped plant with the top being cloned.

5 Likes

Yes those will be tops, basically when you top or fim a plant you trick it into thinking all the tops are the same height as a mj plant sends most of the nuts to the tallest cola. When you top you make plant think all the tops are the same so it feeds them the same. It also will allow some of the lower branches to get tall and in essance to be colas as well

6 Likes

Good good. That’s what I was hoping, that is get 4 colas out of that one topping, do you think the top was but enough to clone, it had the set of nodes I kept on top and another set below where it’s in the rock wool cube, but there’s only like 1/4 stalk from bottom to next node, then to whats showing.

1 Like

That may be enough to clone from. I usually like 2-3 inches, but better to try it than to throw it away.

3 Likes

I’m really not the one to ask about clones lol. But I always use bottom branches not sure if using the top wold be viable. I’m sure if you can get it to root it will be fine

1 Like

Well using the main steam to clone is always the best route, i know you can use any branch with nodes and new growth, but yea that’s what I said I’d rather try to clone it then throw it away, I used clonex seedling and cloning solution. I soaked my rockcubes in the water initially and just threw the seeds in the rock wool into a terrarium, then transplanted directly into great soil. So to do this clone I just soaked the rock wool cube in water with 2.5ml of solution and then took out put on a glass tray under light and sprayed the plants down with a spray bottle.

2 Likes

I don’t use chemicals, I use just straight water and they do fine, I’ve had plenty of people have their grows ruined at the flowering stage due to chemical locking. My other seeds aren’t doing as well they almost died and I had to trim early in life and they are growing slowly but recovering nonetheless maybe a few weeks behind.

Tops are great for cloning. Most people clone bottom branches because they won’t produce enough left low on the plant.

This early in the grow is the perfect time to clone tops. It was going to be thrown out anyway.

I tend to let my plants grow a little before my first topping so that I know I have good clone candidates.

1 Like

Never posted the clone size here,

Problem is I FIMed the tiny new growth first and then decided to top it 5 minutes later, hopefully it didn’t destroy any chance of the top being able to clone, the stem is approx 2 inches including the top that I’m cloning. Even if it doesn’t clone it’s no biggie, I was more worried a bout topping at the very moment because of the chance of getting 4 colas instead of 2 for a first top.

My biggest concern is learning what I need to here and then doing bigger grows at multiple stages, and ya know. I plan to flower these after a bout 3 months veg. But I’m only using a 300watt LED’ 100’3watt lights, 9 band. I think it’s not enough for the 8 plants I got. Eventually I want to get a auto cloned another light and a grow tent. To effectively grow and clone. Thanks for your responses on the topping and cloning. Appreciate it.

1 Like

Sorry to hop in on this but could someone here tell if I fimmed right or topped it by accident from these pics?

3 Likes

I believe you FIMmed, and nicely done. :relaxed:

6 Likes

@raustin thanks :v: N sweet I was hoping so, been tryin to get a definate answer since last night on my other post lol

3 Likes

I agree with @raustin. Now you get to sit back and watch and see how many sites grow from your fim. Looks good though.

2 Likes

@neckNflu thanks n yeah I’m def happy they’re stayin healthy n I counted 6 pretty sure when she woke up, just from the fim, plus all the other spots. I want that baby packed up nice! :man_dancing::call_me_hand:

2 Likes

Oh I think you’ll be happy. They look real healthy so that’s going to give you a great foundation for the rest of your grow. Nice job.

2 Likes

Great thing to hear! Especially with this my first I’d love for it to come out great :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Yeah that’s terrific. A great way to start. I’m not a hundred percent sure how new you are to the website and forum, but welcome. You found a great resource to use to grow high quality meds. A couple of thoughts I have if your starting out, is 1- get a notebook or a calendar or something to write down what you do day by day and what you see or any questions you might have. Not only will it help you during your current grow but it will help you for future grows. It’ll be a nice resource to go back and reference if you need to. I use a little notebook combination calendar thing to write down and track my grows. 2- don’t be afraid to ask any questions. I don’t know how many other sites you been to but I think you will realize that this site is very unique and special. Not only are people polite, helpful and knowledgeable but they are willing to share their hard-earned information with you just so that you will have a better grow. The quality of people, members, and information on this site are second to none.
Not kidding just through using this website even before I join the Forum, my grows have gotten a little bit better every single time. I just wish I found this website sooner. My first few grows weren’t that good.
Anyway welcome and enjoy your growing! Hope to keep seeing you around.

8 Likes

Thank you for the welcome/ help,Already have everyday since Groundhog Day on my calendar when the big one sprouted from germination, and I usually have a picture and question it seems each day lol so I’ll be around! , and I like gettin help/ give an idea if I can. This site and people are great so glad my doctor told me about it. Been reading probably 2-3 months member only about 1 I think

2 Likes

That’s really cool your doctor recommended you to the site.
I was lucky enough to find this site because my dad was trying to help me and he came across this and kept forwarding me all the guides and stuff. So I was basically a voyeur and just reading and gathering ideas for probably a year so? Then I joined this past December. Like I said my only regret was I should have joined sooner. Haha

2 Likes