First time grower and bouncing off walls

Im 44 yrs old and a long time lover of Marajuana, but a 1st time grower… My living conditions are somewhat tight. Allowing me for a basic setup of a small grow tent. I could probably go bigger, but with this being my very 1st attempt I wanted to keep it simple. Originally I thought that growing in my house would be virtually impossible. My friend who I consider to be an expert grower explained to me that I could most definitely grow indoors using a grow tent. He pointed me in the right direction to purchase what I needed for a reasonable price and here i am, about 2 weeks into my 1st (single plant) grow. Following my friends direction and advice my plant is already reaching the very end of its seedling phase. According to my friend, my plant looks great and will produce better than averages results as long as i am willing to stick with it, go with what works and stay positive.

Of course I’m going to stick with it and having personally seen my friends results, what works seems to work really well… So I have no reason to not to do what works. Staying positive is easy… My problem is that I’m finding it extremely hard to relax. I want to look at my plant every 10min! The rewards from a really good grow do not come easy or fast. It’s a process, I know that, but man does it make me anxious. Im finding that my days seem longer and activities that I usually enjoy do not seem all that fun anymore. All I want to do is read and watch videos about growing. There are so many different and interesting ways to grow… It’s overwhelming and extremely exciting. Time is a bastard… It’s as if I am at the end of an extremely entertaining movie and the suspense is never-ending… And this is only one single plant! I cannot imagine what goes through the mind of an extremely high yield grower. Am I alone in feeling like this? Does this ever anxious feeling go away. You experienced growers must think I’m crazy. Maybe I am off my rocker? I know it sounds cliche’, but I literally feel like a kid the night before Christmas. Except the night is several months long. I’ve always respected experienced growers, but growing this one plant has bumped up my respect for expert growers a zillion times!

9 Likes

yea…that can happen to ya…welcome to the club
next you will be sitting in front of her eating chips and salsa with a beer and wondering if you need to take that leaf off or leave it…deep thoughts …aahahahahahahahahaha

7 Likes

Sometimes the hardest part of growing is doing nothing at all.

11 Likes

Does your friend train his plants? That is what I enjoy most about growing. That and trying different styles. For now enjoy watching how much a healthy plant will grow. Count each set of leaves until it gets 6 or 7 nodes tall. Then pinch, top, bend and LST. Hands on is even more fun.

6 Likes

I just finished living this entire scenario. I made my first harvest the past six days. Three plants. Do not quit. You will be so elated at the end… and will only look at your plants every hour. :sunglasses:

I have had the wildest ride since Feb. 20, 22 … when my seeds hit the ground. You will too.

Time is a son of a gun – but you’ll work it in and the more you learn the more you’ll chill and time you’ll save.

4 Likes

Amen and amen. Can I hear an, “Amen.”

4 Likes

What he said. Make light OFF hours during your DAY activity to ensure you do not disturb sleeping beauties for 12 hours. Two tents helps (one sleeps and one available for GAZING). More relaxing, too.

1 Like

Welcome to your new happy place :blush:
Buckle up , you are about to enter the time of your life! This will be a very addictive hobby.

4 Likes

Welcome to the fam my freind…
So sounds like you got the inch :rofl:
Its ok, it happens to alot of us.
You’ve found something you really enjoy and idk what to say to help honestly.
Time will help with the anxiety or large amounts of eatables nightly help with mine :grin:.
I got super bad anxiety if i don’t.
All i can say is looking in is ok but remind yourself that micro manageing can drive you crazy and hurt your yeild so do you best to relax and let them do their thing the best you can and it gets easier as you get some experience under your belt…

2 Likes

Its just like gold fever once ya got it nothing else matters.

5 Likes

Wow! Thank you… All of you… One of the things that I have absolutely come to love about the growing community is it’s generosity and willing to help 1st time growers. I have to admit that I was a little embarrassed to comment about my anxiety being that I am only growing a single plant. It seems foolish of me to feel this way when there are those of you who are growing 10… 20 and even 100s of plants. I do not want this plant to fail. I want it to thrive and show me that this is something that I can most certainly do and be good at doing it. Watching my friend do what he does just makes me want to do it even more. We had known each other a long time before he trusted me enough to tell me about his hobby. It was the 1st time that I had ever seen a professionally grown crop. When I laid eyes on 20 plants of expert grown Purple Diesel I almost cried! It was definitely a life changing experience for me and I knew right then and there that this is what I wanted to do. Forget gaming, forget building cars. I wanted to sell my gaming rig, sell my built MINI and invest my time, effort and money into growing. The only thing holding me back is space. I live in a small 2 bedroom townhouse. I need a house with property. All of which is doable… But before going all in, I need to see if I can at least do the damn thing… So this single plant is a test and I don’t want to fail this test. Growing is the perfect hobby for me. It’s interesting and makes you think in ways that other hobbies do not. There’s so much to learn and the majority of the community is super friendly and willing to teach as much as I am willing to listen. Especially the older cats who have been growing for 20 years or more. My friend has been doing it for 30 years and even he is willing to admit that there’s more he can learn. If I can just get passed this 1st plant then I can make plans to move forward. I love growing and I love this community. You all are going to teach me great things and I am looking forward to many more topics, threads and conversations! Thank you all again for the support and advice.

5 Likes

That sounds like a whole lot more than a hobby.

1 Like

Hahahaha!

So true! I had a chair set up outside my tent just to watch.

After 2 grows worth and plenty of good weed in the cupboard, I finally relaxed some and now just enjoy experimenting with growing them. Did my first FIM and supercrop this time. Would NEVER have tried that my first couple of grows.

Moved one to my deck yesterday for the first time.

3 Likes

The anxiety lessons each grow as you develop your own style of growing.

Right now I have 20…

5 Likes

In my rush to get immersed, I started too many. The $ hurts almost as much as presiding the death sentencing verdicts. One or two would have been better.

5 Likes

You are not alone in your enthusiasm. So, welcome!
As hard as it may be, try to relax. Most of the mistakes new growers make are loving them too much. By over watering, over feeding, over everything. More is not necessary better.
Ask lots of questions. We like this as much as you do, so we like to help!

2 Likes

My question is if you end up liking growing cannabis what is ur plans for the future after you done ur first grow ,will you be looked at doing two or more plants cause you want to think about that because you can get a tent thats big enough to do two plants or four cause if you get the tent u want later now u will save money in the long run

2 Likes

Welcome and your screwed lol!!! Once you get that 1st one under your belt it gets easier. It’s good that you have a buddy close by to help out and this forum is full of awesome growers and information

3 Likes

I generally park myself in the chair below all winter long. Come summer I only look at my tent on water days.
The anxiety will mostly subside once growing becomes like driving. Once you know what works for you it’s smooth sailing. It also helps to have a good amount of flower stock.
You’ll get back to other things you love momentarily :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:. I only have anxiety now when I have company during my plant tending days/hours.
Probably no help because I have more pics on my phone of plants than I do if my family :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

4 Likes

Lol. so true. cat pics and pot pics are neck and neck

3 Likes