First time grower - Am I being too ambitious?

Hi!
I am looking to start my first indoor grow. I have some ideas, but I am afraid that I might be overdoing it…

I am thinking about trying a 4’x4’ tent with soil. I have some feminized autoflower seeds Northern Lights and Sour Diesel. Maybe 4 plants to start…

Would either an HLG 650R or an Optic 8+ Nextgen be overkill?

Would an AC Infinity T6 fan be too much or do I have more money than sense?

Any input and opinions would be appreciated.

2 Likes

4 plants doesn’t sound bad. You could possibly fill that tent. Maybe even overfill it.

2 Likes

No that lighting would be great so would the fans sounds like a perfect setup best to go right the first time with lighting as to not have to replace it same with fans and those are all top of the line that you have mentioned very nice

5 Likes

I personally use hlg seems to be nice for the price point very good lighting

2 Likes

Yeah, HLG seems to be a good bang for the buck. I was considering the Optic 8 just because some growers claim that it makes for really good tasting buds…

The 600 slim h looks better to me than the optic 8

1 Like

Optic sales guy just said the same thing via email. He said that the 650S might give bigger buds but either would be better. He also said that COBs might be too much for a 4x4 tent.

The cobs will probably get pretty hot I tried a solar extreme 500 in a 3x3 tent and it was way too hot

1 Like

Get controller 67 for the fan. It’s got more features then their standard control panel.

1 Like

I did 4, 5 gallon and 1 3.5 gallon pot in a 3x3

1 Like

Good to know. Thank you!

I think that I will try either 3 gallon or 5 gallon pots. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@PaulyT

I have a 5x5 tent and use an HLG 600 and UVA 30 for flowering. I run an AC Infinity 6" exhaust and another for active air in. I also have a 12" hurricane oscillating fan.

I grow 4 photos. 3 in 15 gallon planters and one in a 3 gallon so I can easily move it out and climb and to do trimming.

It sounds like your plan is good.

4 Likes

No disrespect to @Docnraq, but don’t waste your money. I upgraded on both my fans and leave them set at one speed only and don’t use any of the controllers features

2 Likes

That seems like a cool setup! I like the idea of an intake fan. It may not be right for me now, but with a bigger set up in the future,… hmmm.

3 Likes

@emgoldslo none taken :slight_smile: I will argue a lil bit though. Your telling me you bought two controllers and don’t use the WiFi controls, the tracking app or any of the other options? Not to doubt you at all, I’m just confused why you wouldn’t use any of those options. The controller is designed to only run up the fan to what is needed to bring the environment back into alignment, based on your programming of the device. Can you share what conditions your growing in? I live in the desert SW so having something maintain the environment inside my tent for me is a must. I have two fans handling ventilation for my tent, one in and one out. For me having that other controller would be awesome because the standard one is a bit basic. When I’m not at home having control and knowing the current state of the grow environment would be a nice touch. In order to keep my tent in range this time of the year, I had to run the ducting to an ac vent so it can draw cool enough air to make a difference inside my tent.

2 Likes

I’m in the camp of 67 controller too just for the blue tooth controller

2 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood @Docnraq Sorry for the rude interuption but a question? Can you add the 67 controller to the S series fans or do I need the T series to add it to the mix? Do either of you learned ones know? I just ordered the controllers and some additonal fans to augment my setup and hoping they will integrate with the basic S series. Was starting to look for the site to check around as I was reading this in fact. Which you can feel free to still send me to. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Docnraq

So, when I bought them I did set them and was using them, but the humidity in my tent was very high and over my max threshold and they never went below the max speed. I added a dehumidifier to the tent which added enough heat that also pushed them over my temp threshold to keep the fans at max speed.

Not sure I understand this? They are not Wi-Fi, but are Bluetooth unless I am totally missing something (which is possible!). If I’m missing the boat here I’m willing to be educated. If they were Wi-Fi I would use them much more as I’m often gone for 2 weeks at a time and like to monitor conditions.

I ended up buying InkBird IBS-TH2 with the IBS-M1 to have a fully Wi-Fi application with tracking. I find I check the temp/humidity several times a day because I too have an AC vent right outside my tents and have my house AC/Heat on Wi-Fi thermostats.

3 Likes

I added them to my S series fans. No issues!

1 Like