Hey guys first time grower here, have a couple of buddies who grow in soil, but decided to take the plunge into hydro off the start. Be forewarned, my experience is completely from being a youtube hero up to this point. So I may or may not make myself look like a complete ass here Also, this all came about rather quickly so everything is sort of in a state of flux. i do something one way, think about it then change it. ADHD ftw lol
8x8x6.5 generic grow tent (growing in a 4x8 section)
2 x Mars Hydro TS3000 lights
2 x AC infinity 6" cloudline fans
Nutradip growboss ph/tds/temp meter
1 x ActiveAqua 8 port air pump AAPA25L
1 x ActiveAcua 2 port air pump
121L garbage can for water
1 x 240v light control box
1 x lumo X 6" exhaust filter (in transit)
Future Harvest hydro line Future harvest schedule
I’ve purchased the following nutes
2 x Bruce Banner
2 x Alaska Purple
4 x Cherry Pie
Long story short, the basement in my home has been waiting to get repaired after we got flooded a couple of years back and then had some foundation work. Zero mold and dry basement now. But the bedroom down there wasn’t being used, and a buddy had a spare 8x8 tent ( I didn’t ask lol),
So the grand project of wedging an 8x8x6.5 tent in a 8.5x8.5x7 room began. I’ll save you the guess work, it’s not fun! Luckily enough, I have a side window that just fits the 6" ducting to come up and over the tent between floor boards for an intake. For the exhaust, i ended up punching a hole through the wall into the adjacent laundry room. With the basement getting refinished later one or two hole’s ain’t the end of world. i’ve also added a couple runs of 5/8 garden hoses from the laundry room for water in/out to the tent. Here is the basic layout of my tent
As for power, i had my electrician buddy come and rip out the old existing 10/3 dryer cable and run a fresh cable back to the dryer, and adding a second 240v plug for the lights. Running the lights on the same 240v line as the dryer does limit dryer use, but shouldn’t be an issue with a little planning. At the same time had the electrician run a 14/3 line for a couple of 15A circuits for the tent. Should have lots of power. Each 15A circuit is run from the laundry room into the tent via 12ga extension cords. Power distribution in tent is ytbd.
I decided to relocate the drivers from inside the tent to the laundry room in anticipation of future heat issues, and the fact that the 240v access is in there. i wall mounted the 240v control box (one big 240v dryer power cable, split off to 4 smaller 240v outputs, controlled by a 120v coil, so regular timer controlling 240v cct). Had to extend the DC out cables from the drivers to get to the lights by about 5’ per using 14ga dc power wire. LED power wires and 2 extension cords go through wall into side of tent.
Inside the tent i have 8 5 gallon buckets, with some net pots that are pretty big (I guess? couple of the clones are looking pretty buried, but i need to stop light from coming in the side) They’re about 6" deep, filled with clay pellets as a medium.
It works out to pretty close of 3 gallons of water to hit the bottom of the net pot. 1/4" air line driving an air stone in the bucket.
The meter I’m using is a used nutradip growboss I picked up locally. ph probe did appear stored in some type of liquid, but dumb dumb me didn’t try to calibrate it before ph’ing my water initially. Picked up the calibration juice and it seems pretty bang on with the 4/7 juice now.
The first 24hrs i had the clones in water only that was probably a bit high on the ph scale at around 6.7. Top feeding with a small batch of 1/4 strength wk1 veg as per instructions twice per day. Dumped buckets back in the res to ph them all at once. Thought I had the ph locked in at 5.8 in the big res, but 24 hours after putting the 5.8 water back in the bucket they all stabalized at 6.0.
Lights are set at 50% and sitting 24" above clones.
Where I stand now. Each bucket has 3 gallons of recommended 1/4 stength wk1 veg, with super b and propogater. Water is ph’d to either 5.9/6.0 in each bucket. Top feeding twice a day from each plants bucket. Most of the clones had maybe 1" roots sticking out of the rockwool (except both banners had 2 6" roots!). Plants have been sitting in the nutrient water since 4/20 (hehe).
Temps in the tent when the lights are on is 70-74, when the lights go off it drops down to 60. Water in the buckets is around 62. I have not been running the fans at all yet, it’s still rather cool outside and it doesn’t sound like I have an abundance of heat in the tent at this point to get rid of. I’m in and out of it a bunch at this point so it’s getting plenty of air. Humidity in the tent hovers around 40%. I “reclaimed” the house humidifier which works quite well in there. To the point where when I was trying it out and left it cranking it got to 95% in there for about 30m. Well great time to test that exhaust fan haha.
Short term goals
-finish hanging fans/filters
-figure out some kind of intake filter
-hang air pump and clean up air line runs
-rig some kind of water manifold system for moving water around.
Medium term goals
-setup raspberry pi (picked up several sensors, relay board etc)
-prep northwest 4x4 section to be separate veg room, mini herb garden (yeah the wife worked that one into the requirements)
Here are the plants as they stand tonight
I’m sure I missed stuff, but it’s late already