First time grow... looking for tips as I go

Did someone say ghetto … DIY is the stoner way bruh!!!

4 Likes

Or spend hundreds on a hood. No thanks I’ll take the stoner way anyday!

1 Like

Not a lot of experience, but you may be a bit short on the light side of things.

I’m using a 2’ x 3’ space in a closet. Taped 97% reflective Mylar together with foil tape, made a homemade exhaust fan and used crap I had around. Stoner way, Redneck way is the same thing.

I’m using a 1500 watt equivalent (260 watt) LED and four 100 watt equivalent CFL’s. I change the CFL’s from full spectrum to 2700K bulbs when flowering starts and they grow like crazy. 2 plants completely fills the closet and I get around 8 ounces of dry bud.

I think the Mylar is important as well as plenty of light. It gets more light to the lower leaves speeding up vegetative growth.

My ugly closet and a single plant at 25 days. Sadly lost this one to another issue, but I think I have the light about right.

ETA: Should have mentioned this is a WWAuto topped above the fourth node.

3 Likes

That blows, gorgeous plant u lost man…BUT learned you did I bet - won’t make that mistake again! We can only work with what we can afford and a stoner brain is the mother of all creation!!!

2 Likes

A 1000w led is not enough for a 3x3?

I know my pictures are dark but it seems like a decent amount of light and if I add the reflector in then it should be pretty good

It’s usually around 50w a square foot…real watts… ur 1000 led blurple is prolly about 150/200 watts…this is strictly a basic guideline, ofcourse ppl can make magic with less but the rule of thumb is 50

That is t gonna stop you man…I did my 1st grow on a 1000w LED. Well half of it. I bought another light about 2 months in…

This is the light I bought

1 Like

I think this is it!!!

It’s not enough unfortunately. Rule of thumb is 50 watts per square foot on lower efficiency fixtures. That would fall in that category. It also suffers from a small footprint: you need canopy coverage to get the job done. Higher efficacy lights can be cheated down to half that (I run 600 watts in 24 square feet, for example. The issue is dense versus loose flower. Yields will suffer under inadequate lighting.

2 Likes

Shoot I did my research and missed that!!! So how mush should the power output be ?

So for a 3x3 I’ll need 450w

I need so ideas then Becuase I am nowhere close

Donut go check out some of the DIY light threads. I don’t wanna scare you off man but lights are the most important things besides seeds. EVERYBODY hear brags about Quantom boards from horticulture Lighting Group. I just recently bought another…

2 Likes

I think the 260W LED V2 board kit just went down to like $330…that would get you rocking to start… but DO NOT jump…you must talk things over with our light guru if you get serious about dropping change on a light

1 Like
1 Like

I cannot spend 330 on a light for my first grow. My wife would kill me !!!

2 Likes

I’m not going to lie. Everything in this thread is complete foreign language to me. Give me a power supply and I can repair it. But I don’t understand anything in here

3 Likes

The good thing is you don’t have too. You can build lights ordering all parts from vendors and put it together with a little bit of help. You can get some cheap CFL’s for flowering to help out or fluorescent fixtures which are mega cheap. We gotta see what you can do and talk to DB about your footprint. He’ll need to know how serious you are, are you handy, $$$ to work with, etc

1 Like

I was a slot technician for 3 years and can solder and work my way around a circuit bored to a degree. I am in no way an expert though and would be pretty rusty .

3x3x7 is my tent

1 Like

The 1500 watt I used is really 260 watts if memory serves and I add four 100 watt CFL’s which adds 92 watts to that which gave me good foliage and tight buds in a 2’ x 3’ space. The info that came with it said it was good for a 3’ x 3’. 352 watts total did it for me, but more would have been a good thing. If I did it again I’d buy a 2,000 watt of the same type which would have been maybe $40 more. 2,500 watt for a 4’ x4’ I think.

It does pay you back quickly though with a single grow if you price ounces in the shops. I spent a total of $900 on everything including electricity for 8 ounces of high quality bud, plus that’s all usable for more crops. Fans and lights added $60 a month to my utility bill.

I’m going to switch to HPS and MH bulbs when I build a better grow closet next year.

It’s all worth it in the end. I have 7 ounces cured and stored and gave away an ounce and its nice to say I won’t have to buy any again. I’ve got three more plants ready to harvest on top of that, so the investment pays off in the end.

2 Likes