First time grow I want to learn everything

Mostly related to light leakage on photos during the hours of darkness. I’m sure there are a couple more but this is the main one that I’ve seen happen the most.

2 Likes

I used to work at a vineyard and they would use water restriction while the grapes were maturing to sweeten and develop flavors.
It’s cool to hear the similarities with other plants.

Is it common for herms to develop during the final days of stressing. And does that cause any negative flavors or draw backs to overall bud quality.

I notice on @BigCat420 s grow journal that the pollinated ovaries still had the desirable tricomes.

Other than the lost vigor from the plant developing seeds couldn’t herms be an added benefit to a longer stressing schedule

It will utilize energy to make the seeds instead of resin. A herm plant can won’t just make seed it will make pollen and pollinate your entire tent if you don’t see it. The energy wasted on seed production will hurt your final potency, and weight. Free seeds, sure, but seeds are cheaper then a gram of weed is.

As I understand it, herming isn’t actually all that common. It does happen and more likely to happen if you have “stressful” conditions ontop of that. That being said, the times at the end when you stress are only about two weeks for the lowered humidity, 48 hrs for the darkness, and stem splitting just prior to that 48 hours doesn’t give the plant time to herm due to those stresses. I could be wrong. Dont let the herm thing freak you out. Its all over the boards because when it happens people freak out. there are far more successful harvests with nute issues and light issues all throughout the grow. I’ve even seen root rot cut off a plant and harvest completed on this or maybe one of the other places…they blend together after a while.

1 Like

I really like this guy here,
https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Temperature-Humidity-Notification-Monitor/dp/B07Y36FWTT

3 Likes

Ok new chapter. New seeds new soil more humidity new babies.

As I posted earlier i picked up 5 white rhino seeds. Now planted in happy frog mixed with extra perlite and water (I found a ph and soil humidity thing hiding behind one of my house plants :joy:) ph at 6.7 ish. They are marked by the small tabs of packing tape.

Decided to go with the DIY humidity ‘‘dome’’ for science!

The other children will probably get moved outside when the rhinos move into the tent.

@Docnraq not stressed about the herms just fascinated

3 Likes

@Hellraiser after reading about you using Jack’s to expand your coco and the explosive start your seedlings made would you recommend adding nutes to happy frog early on but at a more reduced concentration

2 Likes

Yeah I always fed Happy Frog starting with 1/4 strength for a couple weeks and then moving to half strength, otherwise I always started seeing the beginning of nitrogen deficiency after a couple weeks in HF with no added nutes.

4 Likes

@OmNomBoogers my issue was definitely light from my ac unit temp readout constantly shining on my GSC Extreme. Don’t get me wrong it is COATED with a layer of THC but it kills the potency of the end product. Hopefully not too bad im looking forward to smoking down in a month or 2 lol

1 Like

Watered my mystery plants yesterday with 1/4 strength AN (1ml per liter both A and B) they were showing some brown leaf tips which I think is nitrogen deficiency.

The white rhino have not broken ground yet so I dug up one gently and it looks dead. Hopefully not the fate of the rest.

I will be setting up the tent and stuff this weekend.

2 Likes

Then little ladies don’t look big enough to be showing deficiencies I don’t think. More like either nute burn, or over watering.

You might want to wait for some more veteran opinions on it though. If no one comes along soon I’ll try to tag a couple helpers.

2 Likes

Usually the opposite, maybe a little to much nitrogen. What’s your medium, I water for the 1st 2 weeks only on seedlings if using a medium like FF, calmag and worm castings in my coco make up. :love_you_gesture:

Tent is set up and its huge. I can even stand in it.

Upgraded AC controller and portable thermostat are on the way. Next step is cutting a hole in the wall and hooking up the AC.

When the girls are big enough they will be moving in, they are currently 2 weeks old.

3 Likes

That’s going to be a nice set up :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Ok back from holidays. Glad my place didnt burn down in the 45°c weather (113 f).

Got a bit of a startle from my plants when I got home.

But they bounced back quite nicely.

Updates on the tent soon

2 Likes

Big day for the girls! Moving day!
T

They will be spending the rest of their lives in a friends shed and I won’t be able to greet them every morning.
Because i might not see then every day i decided to transplant into the 5 gal pots instead of doing a 3 gal to 5 gal transition.

2 Likes

For the first time in this grow journal I know my RH (relative humidity) 46%.

I have the AC infinity venting into the room and the t6 sensor at canopy height. The bucket of water should keep the humidity up.

Last major step is to plumb the AC exhaust into the roof or wall.

2 Likes

Use blue shop towels and drape one over the side and into the water. Direct a fan on and near the toweled side of bucket. For best results wet towel then drape, change water every 2 or 3 days washing bucket thoroughly before refilling. I do this when I dry and I get 65% Rh with this and drying flowers inside tent. Use AC infinity controller to manage.
It’s fun setting tents up, yeah?

2 Likes

Do you have some kind of sensor/thermostat control for the AC?

1 Like

Sweet thanks for the tip. I know next to nothing about drying. That is something I have put off learning about, I think with the size of my plants I have 6-10 weeks to figure it out