First time grow (blue dream autos) looking for advice

It’s just a little vivosun 100 watt light that came with this setup I got. Doesn’t make sense to give a light that covers only a 2x2 or 3x3 area for a tent that’s 4x4 in size :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

I love that light for vegging.

Have I already steered you toward Green Beams (budget alternative) or Horticulture Lighting Group (the lighting equivalent Cadillac) for an upgraded light?

Yes I am looking at a green beams light. The 480 watt one. I think @Docnraq posted it on this thread a couple months ago. Would most definitely be better for my grow. The buds will be better too I’m sure

3 Likes

Yeah, I use a GB 240 to supplement my HLG. It’s a great light.

Here are some buds directly under the GB240

@Lacewing and @Fiz and @SynysterChris all use the Green Beams as well - Lace and Chris both have the 480w versions and Fiz has the 240s like I do

5 Likes

The smaller one is my first grow under not a green beam.

Other plants are under my 240w green beam. Getting another next week!

2 Likes

BIG difference!!

2 Likes

Looks good man that’s what I’m going for. The new light would help so much

1 Like

I’m 100% satisfied with my gb lights.
Surprisingly low heat output too.
Almost wish it was higher now that it’s winter lol

My 4x12 room is under 2 of the 480s, and I just had to tone them down a bit for late flower haha.
Donno what size you’re trying to cover but it’s a damn good light.

4 Likes

All under a GB480 4x4

3 Likes

@Docnraq @Graysin @Jonesy287 @SynysterChris @Lacewing any of you guys have any tips for loose roots? My biggest sprout keeps wiggling all over, I had a paper clip holding it straight, I took it away cuz it’s a couple weeks old and figured it would be good by now but it still leans sometimes. I’ve been trying to build up some dirt around the base a little higher up so it holds it still.

2 Likes

This is the best answer. Pack the dirt a little tighter around the base than you have it packed everywhere else, and build up a mound. You can go as high as just below the cotyledon leaves and be just fine. The stem you bury will end up growing roots.

5 Likes

Im with @Graysin. Best to build a mound. Widen your watering distance and make the roots hunt, this will widen their base.

4 Likes

Sounds good I just did that to it works pretty good just wasn’t sure that you bury it that high up. Another quick question I got is I just watered my second sprout in a ring with a half cup of water as it just turned a week old. I looked in there this morning and the soil on top is already dry! The other sprout would stay damp on top for at least a few days.

I’m good waiting a couple more days before watering again correct? I just know the rule is apply when dry and it looks that way lol

1 Like

I don’t water based on visual, I water based on weight. When the medium is freshly watered, the container should feel significantly heavier than when it’s dry (actually dry). If you can pick up the container and it still feels heavier then just a container of plain dirt, then it’s not time to water yet.

2 Likes

I mean am I gonna feel much difference from just 4 oz of water? Lol

2 Likes

Yep. You are. It sounds real dumb but I do this in solo cups often. A solo cup full of coco and a plant feels a lot lighter than a solo cup full of wet coco and a plant.

1 Like

The only thing is I put them right in 5 gallon pots. I don’t transplant out of a solo cup. I can imagine in a solo cup you’d feel a difference

2 Likes

Can I ask why you’re only watering with 4oz of water in a 5gal pot?

I think I know the answer but I want to understand before going down a rabbit hole with something if it isn’t the answer I expect.

1 Like

Just cuz it’s a week old. I do a ring a couple inches away from the base of the plant. The one that’s two weeks old I’m gonna double the water amount every time until I’m at full just cuz it’s in veg now. Max water is like a gallon and a half for me

1 Like

I’ll do the same with the week old one when it gets into veg. @Docnraq taught me about watering last time cuz I thought a pint of water every day at this age was a good thing :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

1 Like