First Time Germination

I would wait a little longer on transplanting until 3rd set of leaves or there are roots growing through and I would remove it from jiffy pot. When you do transplant make sure the soil is some what dry. Plant at same height in soil. Water when top of soil seems dry about an inch down. Needs better light to stop the stretching.

2 Likes

I would wait on transplant for now. But when you do you can just bury the whole jiffy pod- some people will cut the mesh off but I heard that isn’t 100% necessary. Right now you should only be watering lightly- most would recommend light watering with ph’d water 2 times a day with a spray bottle. You shouldn’t be watering to runoff yet- that will be too much for them. It’s just as easy now to overwater them as it is to underwater them.

@Rich1

1 Like

Thanks for input @Ray4x and @gldeaton50 !!! I don’t know what I am doing . . . Are you saying a couple days or a couple weeks ? Cause the light from my one CFL tube above the dryer is making them to high . . .Moving um outside presents a whole bag of other problems - (especially me . . but how do I work them
into the Sun -(In Calif right now is a heat wave really hot . . .

You obviously need more light. When you’re ready to transplant, you can bury most of that stem. It will root itself. Think about people who take clones. Wherever they cut, it roots.

Do you have a fan?

I’ve gone down about 1/4 inch in the 4" Jiffy Pots cause a week of watering has compacted the soil. When
I transplant how far down can I go. In other words should I leave 1" or 2" sticking outta the ground ? BTW Thanks for commenting @PhantomFarmer

I have a fan non-osulating . . .on the plants over the dryer . . . Thanks @Fever

1 Like

I would say 2 inches of stem outside the soil should be ok. The fan you have going will help to strengthen the stem, so that is good. Is everything else going good with them? You can either leave them in the jiffy pot, or take them out, it is up to you. My first girl was planted into the soil inside her pot, but the soil inside the jiffy was not that great and the jiffy was not disintegrating very fast at all, so I ended up digging the pot up, and carefully pulling the jiffy away and replanting her. My second plant also went into a jiffy, but I put long cuts down the jiffy going all the way around it, so my girls roots could easily escape once in the bigger pot.

@Rich1 - I would bury them as deep as I could. When they’re ready, I’d strip off the seed leaves and drop it to within an inch or two of the first node. It’ll give you plenty of nice, deep roots.

I would strip the top inch or so off that jiffy pot and make sure the remaining part is well below the soil line. If it’s exposed it can wick moisture to the air.

More light is critical to you right now, based on how much stretch you have. Sunshine would be best. If you go that route, do an hour the 1st day, a couple the second day, a few the third day and so on for about a week until you can set them out all day. Fresh air and sunshine cures a lot of ills.

That really gives some idea of what to do !!! Thanks @PhantomFarmer

I am gonna try taking the plants out of the Jiffy Pots when I transplant-(I am 64 year old Stoke Victim so I am kinda a claud ) If it is a disaster on the first one I’ll try cutting down the 2nd Jiffy Pot and cut slits in it .My wife isn’t to hot on the idea of growing my own and wants it outta the house !!!

Just be gentle with the roots. I’ve never had a problem with jiffy pots. I use the expandable peat pots, myself and have 9’ tall plants. Either one is a non-issue.

Have fun.

1 Like

@Rich1 Since you have such nice soil, why don’t you just leave them in the Jiffy Pots? The roots can be so tender. Just plant it down so you can support the stem a little. I think your doing fine.

1 Like

Those pots are supposed to dissolve, but Ive heard storys from others that they didn’t. I would atleast cut the bottoms out of them.

I think you’re right @Rugar89 or the watering is really different . . . I have transplanted both plants . . .
Will post this weekend with pic’s either empty or growing . I am a first timer and I don’t know anything
These are first 2 of 5 seeds NL autoflowering. Cause I am not setup for indoor growing and I can’t
afford it . . . But I thought I could use the free Sun on my patio . . .

1 Like

The soil for the seedlings is in the first pic not the FFOF I was gonna use for the transplant . . . I have transplanted both and will post pics this weekend good or bad . . . my 2-girls are trying to adjust to patio
life . . .With an idiot taken care of them.

1 Like