First time fail.... kinda defeated but I'll try again :(

@ThermoNukePanda thanks I am in HF and only watering an oz or two in fear of over watering and wondering if I should up the amount as I cant tell if they have enough.

1 Like

@Timmytwotoke See, I guess that’s the million dollar question. This is my first grow, so I’m no expert and maybe others will chime in.

Thing is I guess learning and experiencing what’s going on with your plants. Tending to them daily, inspecting leaves, soil, etc. If the soil is dry, then perimeter water it. Younger plants don’t need as much water at first. As they grow we’ll be watering more and more as they get thirsty.

1 Like

i am in Day 43 and they are maybe 10" and are taking 14oz every other day up to every third day and loving it.
I am in HF also, but feeding Jack’s at full strength since they had their 3rd node. These 2 Photo girls are in 7 gal fiber bags.

quick pic follows from 2 days ago

3 Likes

They are looking pretty nice at day 43! I believe I’m technically on day 24 for mine since I first put the germinated seeds into their soil pots and into the tent?

@JackAndSan Are you going to be attempting any LST techniques with your plant?

i just made an attempt at FIMing a week ago. awaiting results. my last grow i did LST

1 Like

Great! Hopefully you have good luck with it! How did your LST turn out?

i ws pretty rough with her and got a very nice spread. helped fill out the SCROG nicely. i am thinking of just trying something new this time more to learn

1 Like

Yeah I’m still very very new, this is my first grow, and I’m learning about stuff all the time. I’m thinking to install a light trellis netting in my tent at some point?

Today is technically day 27? They’re starting to look much healthier I think, although I’d like to see them get taller and grow faster.

Two pics for comparison. First is May12th (5 days ago) versus just now on my lunch break.

As you can see, they’re not terribly tall at this point

SF2000 light is setting 20" from tops, 70% dimmer. 24 hour light cycle (I don’t have a timer… and if I switched to something I could feasibly do 20/4 and turn off the lights at 5 when I get home for a few hours)

3 Likes

They need the switch, one is swelling, far right. Back off the water. Go to a local hardware store and spend $5 on a mechanical timer. Up light to 80% on a a 18/6. Even a cheap mechanical that only does 30 minute increments works. My flowering one has smaller increments, but this 30m cheepo I use for veg works just as well.

Great thing about mechanical things… not digital. Can’t bug. As long as they aren’t in extreme environments they last forever too.
Screenshot_20210517-150508_Gallery
Don’t make fun of my faceplate. Haven’t changed to new one since I painted. At 58c a piece I don’t waste time covering them with tape. Lol

2 Likes

@Budz
Thanks! Can you explain what you mean by swelling? This is my first grow so I don’t know why it’s a problem, what it signifies, etc

:slight_smile:

1 Like

The leaves are rounding and drooping from the center of the plant, as if they were heavy. If you rubbed the leaves on the far right and the far left plants, you will feel a noticable difference. Don’t be afraid to touch your plants. Tells a lot. The guides explain this much better than I can. Troubleshooting takes you to over/under watering signs. If you learn them you can indentify them before they become an issue

I even notice the difference from beginning to end of watering cycles in veg. Flower uses so much you’ll be confused at first, like… did I not just water this day before yesterday?

2 Likes

@Budz
So I read through a bunch of the guides and I do try to refer to them. I didn’t see anything about swelling however so I’ll have to read more.

I don’t think I’m over or under watering currently as far as I know. I probably should look into changing the time schedule, but I read autoflower strain technically could go on 24 hours, just might have some flowering issues.

But yeah, they’re GDP autos. 27 days in. I did have a vast temperature problem however as I showed they was corrected last week I believe by relocating the tent and light change and proper watering.

I’m always open to advice on how to make them happier and healthier though

3 Likes

Good luck man

I was only referring to the one on the far right. Despite that little bit of advice. Was mostly just to say that they would be happier with some sleep. Would definitely be bigger, I’d hope. I’ve stunted some plants, don’t get me wrong. If a plant, any plant on this planet, gets excessively more light than it can use everyday. Even if it doesn’t burn, that’s from heat not light. It will stunt/dwarf/ cease to get bigger. Plants grow because of their need for light. If they get an excess of it, they won’t… they will homer simpson. If they don’t have to get off the couch, they won’t.
If you want to use excess light you need excess food/water/wind/co2. It’s a balance. Can’t go overboard with one. They must be balanced

2 Likes

@Budz
Believe me, I am appreciative of any and all help. I’ve talked to my pops about it today actually (electrical engineer by degree, and in his 70s he just likes to help so it’s fun). He got a mechanical timer we’ll install on the tent probably Wednesday.

I absolutely understand and can appreciate the need for light/dark cycles for life and can see how it flows into the plants as well.

(Fun fact, only reason I’m “panda” is that’s my spirit animal. At least from my experiences on the res 20 years ago haha. Light and darkness… balance… I get it!)

So yeah, hopefully we’ll see how this keeps going.

edit

I think I have gone overboard a bit with other sources. 2 large 6" fans, one intake and exhaust, making them dance inside constantly, 3 gallon fabric pots and trying not to overwater but it’s a smaller container, light is definitely more than enough for the tent, etc.
I’m still interested to see what happens switching to 18/6 midweek

1 Like

In my experience my 3 gallons only needed water every 4-5 days in vegetation. In flower everyother day. Best way to tell is to take a same size pot and make a dummy pot, never add water to it. Same size container with your medium in it. Water till some run off and don’t water again till your plant is almost the same weight as the dummy. Water in the soil weighs way more than the plant in veg. You’ll understand the water requirements better by time it’s not feesable to lift the plant. Can’t really explain water requirements, it’s different for every plant, except clones because they are all the same plant. There are just signs and feel/weight.

2 Likes

Day 30 I believe. So they’re still small/short. I did install a mechanical timer on the light outlet today and have it set for dark between 12am-6am, so switching to 18/6 light cycle from straight 24. I have been turning on and off the light manually for the past 2 days however. Also Helmet Head Huey (middle yellow tagged plant) is still hanging in there. I DID water this afternoon on lunch break, and haven’t watered them at all since Sunday night ish?

I can start to see signs of the white fibers peeking out, so I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not at this point in growth cycle and their age. I also don’t know when to start feeding nutrients regularly, as I started in HF soil (no perlite, my bad… live and you learn I guess). I’ve read I should only be feeding HALF of what it says on the fox farms trio bottles I have.

Cheers all and happy Wednesday!

1 Like

@Budz @Covertgrower Hey guys. So obviously I try to read the grow guides on here, but I’m concerned looking at them because of the initial stresses or whatever problems that maybe they’re going hermit?

If that’s the case should I just ditch on my first grow? I’m not sure what I’m looking at, but you can zoom in the pics I took today and see preflower but I don’t know of I’m looking at male budding?

I screenshotted this from the guide so it concerns me I guess. I don’t know who else to tag really.