First time doing Low Stress Training

So I am onto my second grow and want to do some LST and I just wanted some guidance as far as:

are my plants ready for it, how to tie them down properly, and what to do with the big shade leaves covering up potential new cola’s. I messed with one of the plants a little bit and even with it tied over there’s still a giant leaf blocking the light.

Two plants on left are Jack Herer, two on right are are OG. Seedlings breached soil Oct, 27th, so about 2 1/2 weeks into grow.

1 Like

Lookin good so far :+1: 1st thing to know is if they’re auto or photo because there’s a giant difference in how you can train em. On photo personally I don’t touch my plants until they are going really good and are at least 5 or 6 nodes. That’s when I’ll top em which stops the main and takes the shade off the lower branches so they start growing those are the ones you tie down

2 Likes

I just started LST on my girls. I usually wait until they get to the 5th or 6th node before I start. Some will start sooner and do things differently. Someone else had ask me about training so I have decent pics on how do it. Another thing is I usually use soft tie and 3/16 wood dowel to tie them down. I intended on getting some of the larger clip style paper clips. You clip them onto the sides of fabric pots and use soft tie to pull plants over and tie off. As far the larger fan leaves they are very pliable and you can just move them over and tuck them under, out of the way. The before pics are 27 days after breaking soil

Here’s some pics before

This is what they looked like 24 hrs later. They have already started growing towards light. You’ll notice that I have the fan leaves tucked under.

3 Likes

Sorry about that, thought I put an autoflower tag on the post. Yeah all four are autoflower so I will not be topping these.

1 Like

Wow very impressive! Those look great yeah I think I have enough nodes to start it. Hard to tell from this picture but this particular plant has 6 nodes on the lower branches already

You did tag it auto I always forget to look at those damn things oops. Autos are not on my to do list so I’ll bail out and let others advise. I don’t like not having control over when flowers start, maybe some day I’ll give em a whirl. Good luck with em though 4sure and again they’re lookin good

2 Likes

I will usually get 8 -12 colas doing it this way. I just check them daily and retuck fan leaves and help the lower growth get some light. If any of the stems really start to pull ahead of the rest I tie them off until the rest catch up. I mostly grow photos so once I get ready to flip lights I’ll start lollipoping the main stems and removing smaller growth so that all of the growth and energy will concentrate in the larger ones. Doing LST won’t cause a problem for autos. I’ve grown autos twice and used the same method with good results. I would encourage you to continue reading journals and looking at other methods. I’m on my 6th grow, there’s a lot of experienced and knowledgeable folks here that probably could give better advice. Keep in mind that there’s different methods, this is just the way I started and have been satisfied with the results

2 Likes

Thank you for your valuable input. I’ll post some updates once I get the girls tied up and I start seeing progress.

1 Like

I’ll tag you to my journal, if you are interested to see my progress. There’s a lot of off topic commentary, but I do updates weekly. Also have several experienced growers following along that you can hookup with and get some great advice from. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

I’m going to post a link to @Nicky journal. He’s the man to see about autos. He grows autos almost exclusively and is very knowledgeable about all things involving growing.

2 Likes

Nice… be careful with that tiny bit of extra hand ugga dugga :cry:. She’s still growing though.

Sounds great bro, thank you. I will definitely tune in!!

1 Like

Feel free to tag me my journals pretty slow because my grows are on cruise control for a week or two at a time lol