First time Canna butter

I want to try and make some butter in the slow cooker, do I need to decarb and grind before I mix in slow cooker? Thanks

3 Likes

I would say yes. Everywhere I’ve checked for recipes and in the canna cookbooks I own, they mention to grind and decarb. Just do a coarse grind, you will have less plant matter left in the butter in the end.

3 Likes

I’m following this one because I need to switch to the crock pot method myself. @blackthumbbetty will tell ya but I plan to decarb mine first as well. I’m positive I’ve read that it doesn’t weed to be decarb’d when doing the slow cooker thing.

4 Likes

If you want to use the butter w/o cooking, like on toast, then I would decarb first. If you’re cooking with the butter, then no decarb is needed. All the thc and thc-a, and all other cannabinoids are picked up in the butter and is decarbed as you bathe it in the water. Make sure that your slow cooker stays between 240-250 degrees and the same when you cook with the butter.

2 Likes

Thank you, all info is welcome and appreciated

1 Like

there’s an old Texas saying, well I’m sure they say it other places but - carb me once or carb be twice…ummm the point is… you can’t get decarb’d again!!!

3 Likes

Now that’s funny!

1 Like

Decarb, but don’t grind. If you break it up by hand, you’ll get better tasting budder w/o losing potency. I, personally, do not use the slow cooker method, because it’s unnecessarily long.

@LoCoRock An electric pressure cooker/instant pot is the device you can use without decarb.

6 Likes

I used a video off of YouTube with a double boiler. Decarb with that method. Just a FYI incase your trying to be low key with this. Decarbing stinks the neighborhood up :rofl: … turned out delicious in some cookies/brownies. Even made a little garlic/herb cannabutter to melt ontop of steak. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Another FYI and @Tinman you might not know - a tablespoon (or more :woozy_face:) of budder in your coffee is out-of-this-world delicious… if your a coffee drinker your gonna flip you never heard of it…I’m telling you!!!

2 Likes

I tried Thc infused coconut oil in my coffee last week-end after reading you posting this somewhere! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I was putting honey infused in my coffee, it was GREAT

1 Like

Thank you

Wo hold up…honey infused? Like thc infused honey?

3 Likes

Care to share the recipe? That would be great!

1 Like

Got it from the dispensary

1 Like

After reading @blackthumbbetty , going to grab a electric pressure cooker , is ghee ,butter? Thanks

2 Likes

Right on! Ghee is clarified butter.

3 Likes

@Tinman… Please consider using my recipe as you will end up with an end product that is not only potent but free of chlorophyll.

Yes, it is a good idea to de carb first. … Boiling water no matter how long does not reach optimum decarb temps.
And to say that a decarb is not needed if you plan to bake with it is again a choice but mis leading as the oven may be at 350 but the inside of your meal is not. If the center of your cookies or brownies ever reached over 220 for 30 min you would be eating hockey pucks and therefore, a well cooked edible with non de carbed product would definitely be psychoactive but there would still be more thca then thc.

1. I course grind my desired amount and put it in a mason jar.

2. Close the lid and place on a towel in the oven at roughly 230 for 40 min. Times may vary on amount in the jar.

3. While weed is decarboxylating put butter in sauce pan to clarify. Use more butter then you want to unfuse as the clarification process will lose 1/4-1/3 of the butter.

4. Just warm the butter, don’t stir or boil. The milk solids and water will separate. Skim the top and gently pour the golden pure butter fat from the center into a measure cup.

5. Remove Mason jar from the oven. Allow it to cool for a bit. Open jar and pour in the butter fat.

6. Put a larger pot on the stove and add water. Place a wire rack or spacer on the bottom of the pot to keep jar from contacting the bottom. Boil water as if you were canning for 3 hours.

7. Strain off butter and chill.

8. Enjoy.

You clarify the butter because thc binds to fat not water and milk solids so by creating a pure base you create more opportunity for the thx to bind and a more potent product.
Additionally, by removing all water from the equation you remove the issue of that green bad tasting butter. Chlorophyll is mostly water soluble not far soluble so if there’s no water the chlorophyll stays with the plant where it should be.
Please try this and let me know what you think. I have done a lot of work and research to understand the science and come up with this method. It’s not one you will currently find on you tube.

5 Likes

A lot of people use clarified butter, but most of us just buy it pre-clarified as ghee. :grinning: Definitely don’t use salted butter or ghee. However, chlorophyll is most definitely fat soluble, as well as water soluble, especially when heated. We use clarified butter for reasons that involve temperature stability and finished texture, plus more fat and less water makes for a stronger infusion.

I do a similar method using a water bath, but I use an electric pressure cooker to cut down infusion time to under an hour. The no-water infusion process is significantly better than most budder recipes, for sure! It makes for a much better flavor.

I usually go with about an ounce of bud per ½ cup ghee/coconut oil. It gets green, as it should, with that much bud. Mmmm-mmmmmm.

5 Likes