First time auto in Coco

First time growing an auto - she’s a Swiss cheese auto from nirvana planted in a 7L pot with coco and perlite. Added mykos into mix with extra near seed location. Just sprouted - let’s see where she takes us…

3 Likes

You should have started in a smaller pot. Helps it grow faster because roots fills up faster

1 Like

I have read on here to start auto in there final pot not to transplant

1 Like

Incremental pot size helps the plant go through the necessary wet/dry cycle and gives the grower much more control over the life of the plant. The more pot sizes the merrier! I start mine in shot cups, they’re slightly smaller than bathroom cups, then I graduate from there. The important thing is to not transplant too early where the medium will fall apart, and to transplant when the medium is dry so it dislodges easier.

They make planters in all different sizes for this reason, professional nurseries do this in spit all the extra labor because it produces the best results.

Yeah I’m not going to transplant autos - I notice shock whenever I transplant photos (solo - 7L - 5G smart pots) or (solo - 5G smart pots)… generally it pushes the grow back a week per transplant which on a photo who cares, I time it out with how much room I’ll have in flower tent and make adjustments accordingly.

That is an interesting concept tho - which delays growth more in autos - transplanting so can maintain root growth or starting out in final pot? Any thoughts @dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971?

1 Like

I don’t grow autos, so I’m not exactly sure. My instinct tells me that starting them in bigger pot will take longer to develop. But transplanting will risk triggering them into flower.

2 Likes

That makes sense about disturbing the root system, many species besides MJ are triggered into flowering via root shock, it’s one recommendation I heard of when a Rhododendron refuses to flower, chop some of the roots with a shovel, I know, I tried it, it flowered profusely that season and every year thereafter.

2 Likes

I’m not a big auto guy either
but you can transplant it once

Cup to final pot I usually start mine in one gallon pots then transplant to 3 gallon when needed

1 Like

Thanks for everyone’s feedback and input I guess I’ll see how it goes. I’m trying to use autos to fill out my space since lighting doesn’t matter can switch it in and out of veg tent or flower. If I’m not satisfied I will most definitely do the solo cup method. Hopefully the mykos will help my roots bulk earlier than normal. Cheers and happy growing👍

1 Like

That mykos is good stuff @Sirsmokesalot
Try the azos as well with it you’ll have healthy roots and plants

1 Like

The trick to transplanting autoflowering plants is to do it when they are 1-2 inches tall, with just 1 or 2 sets of leaves. It gives them time to develop a small root structure, and transplanting that early doesn’t seem to phase them at all.

2 Likes

I most certainly will - I saw you mention that in another thread and made sure to take note. Thanks for the tip :+1::pray:t3: Planning on getting some ASAP for first ilgm run with Bruce banner and gsce

Ahh makes sense I’ll def give that a shot Next time round

Auto died the switch over to coco proved too much for her. Didn’t pre load the medium so it was either that or like @HornHead said too large of a pot, or a combo of both but went into flower at about 4 inches so culled. I’ll try again when have some time and space but photos are more my style anyways. If I do go back I will use a small cup first then transplant after 3 nodes