First time auto flowers

First time growing Afghan auto flowers they sprouted about 9 days ago I’m using happy frog and earthworm castings in 5 gallon grow bags
They seem a little small what do you guys think?

Thanks

2 Likes

Welcome to the community! A lot is going on under the surface, but you can let them dry out some. Cannabis prefers a wet/dry cycle. And water in a circle a couple inches from the stem, make the roots reach for it. At their size and age, a few milliliters every couple/few days is enough for the first couple of weeks. Overwatering is the number 1 rookie error. We probably all did and still do sometimes.

Your girls will very soon start stretching, as the lights they are under aren’t adequate enough for big, strong bud filled plants we like. Do you have another light to veg and flower them?

Sorry if I seem like a stickler! Just wanna see them babies grow!

4 Likes

Biggest mistake new growers make is over watering the sprouts. Yours look a little over watered. At this stage. I’m using a spray bottle and only keeping the surface of the soil moist……not wet. Temps need to be 75F-85F with humidity at 60%-75%. By the second week (14th day) I begin to use a turkey baster and I begin to water about 2” out from the stem, around the stem. About a shot glass full of water every 2-3 days. I’ll generally do that for 7-10 days. Temps and humidity same. By the 4th week. I begin to wet the entire pot. And bring the the humidity down to 50%-60%. Usually stay on the higher side and lower as pistils start forming.

4 Likes

Thanks yeah I went a little over board with the watering and the amount of plants I started lol 3 Afghan autos and 5 gold leaf photos the gold leafs are doing great. All of the plants will be outdoors as soon as they get a little bigger just have the autos under the light because it’s been pretty cloudy and windy here the past few days other then that when it’s been sunny and no wind I take the autos outside

2 Likes

My White Widow autos were not much further along than yours. I made the same mistake with the first two, and I’m paying the price on the end. My next two were much better.

2 Likes

You will need to learn some LST, Low Stress Training techniques for increased yields. There’s a gentleman on YouTube. Bill Ward, and he’s very good at explaining this technique and he’s grown some massive autos.

5 Likes

How do I ask a new question on here in a new thread

1 Like

This.

This.

And this.

You’re covered with solid advice here. Once they’re about 21 days old, go straight for full-blown wet/dry cycles, but for now, a little bit on the outermost fringes is exactly how to encourage those roots to work.

Root development in autos is the number 1 most frustrating thing for new growers. They spend a LOT of time on the base before they get vertical.

5 Likes

Agree with the others and personally wouldn’t add worm castings until the Happy Frog is depleted some more. It’s a great cannabis friendly medium and comes amended with enough nutrients to feed for approximately 4 weeks, the worm poop has nitrogen :love_you_gesture:

3 Likes

Hi @Tim157 .welcome to the neighborhood. Go to the front page. click new topic. start there. or search other tooics that will answer your questions :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks I see it

2 Likes

The soil is all dry and moved the plants outside today to get full sun looks like the second set of fan leafs are starting to form.

1 Like

IMO put them outside for an hour each day to harden them off. After a week increase the time to a couple hours.

3 Likes

They are finally starting to take off but I’m thinking it’s to late. Is it worth keeping them going ?

5 Likes

Too late for what Growmie? They look good :love_you_gesture:

2 Likes

Yeah they great would definitely keep going with them my opinion.

1 Like

Ok thanks just worried because they are 20 days from breaking soil though they would be much farther along by now

Welcome yo the community. :+1:

1 Like

Probably just now getting enough light and good temps to be willing to grow. They may flower prematurely, or they’ll grow up big and strong. It’s honestly a crapshoot either way.

1 Like

Ok thanks again I’m pretty new at this lol they are 100 precent Indica so I know they are going to be shorter regardless I’ll keep you guys updated

2 Likes