First Photo Grow looking for advice on Trimming

Hey all, after about 5 soil auto grow I decided to go another direction. Giving coco and Photo seeds a try.

First off, coco has been an absolute game changer for me thus far. You can find all my previous posts about nutrient issues I had on every single grow in soil/autos. So far, starting 5th week things are going so much better. So fingers crossed this trajectory continues into flower.

I probably should have already flipped but I just transplanted in their final 3gal pots. So im gonna let them simmer for a week or so and try to get her to spread out (again should have trained earlier).

Question on defoliating, she is looking real crowded so wanted to get advice on if I should star trimming lower leaves and how far do I take it?

Any other thoughts or considerations are welcome.

4 Likes

I was surprised to find my photoperiods doubled in size in the 12 days between when I flipped them to 12/12 and when the started to flower.

IMO, if you want to defoliate, flatten and train more, you have time.

I didn’t realize that and the last 2 got bigger than desired.

8 Likes

Also, I’ve read on here not to defoliate too much untila couple of weeks into flower

2 Likes

Thanks. That is very much possible, I wasn’t sure if now is the right time or later in flower as you mentioned.
Thanks as I meant to include that in the question.

3 Likes

As long as these are photos and not autos id say trim them up some it will grow back extremely quick if you did any defoliation today youd probably never know by next week especially with being in coco and getting daily feedings

3 Likes

I was thinking that I would start with the two big fan leaves. They are huge, at least by my growing history, larger than my hand.

2 Likes

I usually try to get anything I want out of the way 1-2 weeks before I flip to flower. The more I take the more time I leave for healing before flip. Then 3 weeks in I do another leaf pull, from them on I take here and there if I see shadows on bud sites I want

2 Likes

Little update, more for my benefit. They been chillin in veg for about a week now. Can’t even tell I defoliated, probably didn’t take enough due to being paranoid of taking off too much.
Overall they are going fantastic relative to all my soil grows. Been a 7 week veg and it’s time. Split a couple branches training so needed extra time to let them heal up.
Being my first photo how not sure, but have concerns these are going to blow up and run out of room in the tent. But I think I will flip them tomorrow and see how it goes.

Cheers.

2 Likes

@BeezNeez Coco is the whip, they just need feed daily. Some ppl have them set up auto pots, and auto watering were they are feed a number of times a day. I feed daily and they do pretty well. Yours are looking sweet. :v:

1 Like

Coco has def been a game changer for me! While I’m not done with my first grow using it, thus far a complete game changer.

1 Like

Im in coco as well. I like to hand feed daily.

1 Like

Do you all continue with one hand water a day into flower? Or do you switch it up to two a day at any point?

1 Like

@BeezNeez I feed once daily with plenty of runoff.

1 Like