First Outdoor Grow Help!

Ok hoping for some assistance here. This is an outdoor plan, with and indoor jumpstart. 1 photo freebie ufo blueberry headband, 2 WW Autos. Smart pots, FFHF soil, FF Trio nutes, rainwater PHd 6.5. Lights are Home Depot leds. Not sure if configured appropriately, today is second day of hardening process. Besides thrips which I’ve treated with neem oil, what’s going on?? It seems like the photo plant is too pale in color?

Perhaps I’m over analyzing and all is well. Topped one of the ww autos this morn, they are 13 days into veg and have had one 1/3 strength feeding of big bloom with no adverse effects.

2 Likes

Also, temps have been stable and ideal, rh has been ideal, oscillating fan gently in place. The are Dutch Passion seeds, except for the blueberry headband ufo photo-not sure Of the breeder. Lots of random insects drawn into workshop from 18/6 lighting schedule but the white patches (thrips) have been only negative.

2 Likes

If you’re looking at the lite color on the new growth that is normal. The plant is growing fast and it will take a little while for the chlorophyll building to catch up.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly.

So the existing damage to first set of leaves- will the spots heal or is it irreversible? Seems like the bugs are gone now, and fresh insecticides are on the way ( need oil used first was expired). Upon moving outside toward end of the week, I intend utilizing an aggressive preventative strategy with soaps, spinosad, neem oil rotated per treatment. Am I way off base?

1 Like

The burned tips will not recover. Those leaves will yellow and fall off once their job is done in a couple weeks. I’ve never grown outdoors so I am little to no help there. I do know taking your plants on and out will increase the likelihood of bugs.

2 Likes

Yea I’ve been anticipating the same thing- I was surprised at the insect activity inside the workshop where I started them. There is a diverse community of insects especially at nights in and around the soil more so than the leaves after I first hit them with need oil. Hoping that the evening bug traffic will decrease under moonlight instead of drawing them to the light inside.

3 Likes

Also wondered if the ffhf had bugs already…

2 Likes

Get a big clear tote and lay over top of the planters. FF pasteurizes soil so that’s not your culprit.

2 Likes

The lines look a bit like leaf borer. Google it for pictures.

1 Like

Hey @Dogman20 . Welcome to the very best forum. Any and all questions about most anything you need to know about growing IS here. I am an outdoor grower. Your plants look great. What part of the country are you growing. I’m just south of Boston. Good luck, happy grow. I’ve got 4 strains of ILGM genetics, 25 gallon bags of supersoil. GUARANTEED good product.

2 Likes

Wow those are vibrant! South of Austin tx where it’s hot sunny and usually 30-50% rh. So I really have babied them so far and today sewed a seed in an airport with moist ffhf with mason jar greenhouse hat☺️- I want to see if success can be had without all the fuss. The site is perfect. Great wind protection from well established native veg, afternoon will offer partial shade as temps will be quickly rising, close and hidden. How much effort does hardening off require and what’s the best strategy? I keep backfilling as they grow to submerge as much plant structure as possible but keeping cotelydons exposed.

2 Likes

Would you please elaborate on what you mean? I’m not understanding laying a tote over planters?? You talking about upside down over the whole pot to create greenhouse effect?

1 Like

Super soil on the way for another few plants. I got auto specific bag and will use ffhf to mix. I see in your photo that you’re using nutes or tea in the jug? So nutes are still being used in conjunction with super soil?

1 Like

That will raise the humidity and keep flying insects from getting to your plants under lights.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 I’ve been trying to keep the lights super close to plants , like 3”. They are 2 LED strips from Home Depot. Is this unnecessary? Since they don’t put off heat, I feel like more intensity is best. So if I added the tote, it’d would create more like 8” away from light. Would that work equally as well?

Great idea

Those are only 19 watts so not sure. I’m just spitballing to help with your bugs.

1 Like

No, @Dogman20 My supersoil does great by itself. Just distilled water with humboldts golden tree and enzymes. 1 tbls Azos/gallon. Just to establish lush roots. Was hoping to get them in bags this weekend. Weatherman says…its not gonna happen.

1 Like

they enjoyed 4hrs if morning sun with nice breeze and seemed to really enjoy it. Followed with an hour of shade and then back to their den.

Hi Doggy! I’m following your thread with interest bec Im also doing the outside grow after indoor jump start. This is my first grow too, so im a noob. I read that if u can grow a tomato plant u can grow weed, cuz their needs are similar. So 2 months ago I bought a bunch of plants and grew 40 more from seed. Ive learned a lot that will help me, including all about pest control. Omg! The bugs, worms, catepillars, leaf minors, termites, ants. . . ack. Bane of my existence!!! All ur words were all too familiar to me! (Neem oil, Sinosad etc.) I thought I would share a few more solutions I use. Ivory dishsoap in water will kill many soft sided insects, Sevin ( liquid concentrate), Sulphur powder kills some pests and deals with powdery mold too, I think. Ants are attracted to my luffa gourd and sunflower buds. So im expecting an ant problem with my weed buds. You can use diatomaceous earth ( on a dry day, not in the rain), and you can also put a paper ring around the trunk/stem and cover it with vaseline. Next I may try sticking pins in a voodoo doll/bug!! Good luck with ur grow and pls post updates so I can follow u and learn. Here are my girls. They popped on 4-20.

1 Like

Very cool and cheers! Ill keep throwing my experience out there, for what it’s worth. Thanks for the protection product knowledge. After looking at some others results, I’m beginning to wonder if mine are behind the curve in terms of growth rates, but choosing to believe all will be well. My goal is to produce enough to last a year of personal medicine (although I’m quite healthy with no ailments :joy:) which is only approx 4 oz or more. So to recap I’m in 3rd week of veg with a photo period blueberry ufo headband, and 2 white widow autos from Dutch passion. I intend to start 3-4 more ww autos next week only using the sun and start to finish outdoors in super soil per a previous recommendation
. I believe quality product can be had with good care, prevention and utilizing interesting manipulation techniques ( early topping, lst, etc).i think the climate of south central Tx must be ideal for ww if random rains are navigated correctly. I want to leave room for mistakes, hence growing 7 total. Worst case scenario I’ll have success and a surplus. I sewed a seed yesterday in a smart pot with mason jar dome to test vigor by not having them babied inside. Time will tell! So far so good. Very fun and quite a lot to study.