First indoor grow - seedling troubles

Oh yeah don’t take my word for anything yet haha.This is the one I got.

1 Like

Thanks mattybear I’ll try that, still reading up on nutes that part has me a bit worried. I just have the fox farm trio right now.
since I have 4 going I’m thinking of trying 1 in sohum, 1 in roots organic/kind, 1 in all roots organic, and 1 in happy frog.

I copy and pasted from their website

DO I NEED TO PH MY NUTRIENTS? IF SO, WHAT PH SHOULD I MAKE MY NUTRIENTS?
Our heavy organic soils have a buffering capacity, to which you can add nutrients (according to our “feeding schedules”) without adjusting the pH. The buffering capacity of the soil will regulate the pH of the soil solution, so that necessary micro and macro nutrients will become available. If you prefer to have more control over the pH of your solution, we recommend adjusting the pH to 5.8-6.3. When in doubt… err on the side of acidic. Too acidic is much easier for most plants to deal with than too basic(pH over 7). Mixing our Roots Organics fertilizer for 24 hours will help raise the pH naturally. In hydroponics settings, the Soul line is designed to remain stable at an ideal pH of 6.0. Again, circulation and aeration is key

Looks like matty has you set on transplant too.

1 Like

Thanks dbrn I hadn’t seen that info yet.
So is that one considered coco or did I misunderstand? They do say soil in what you pasted, so is it just like a coco soil mix and not true coco?

1 Like

I believe the majority of it is coco, but it’s a mixture and amended. I would shoot for around 6 and see how that goes personally.

2 Likes

I’ve used that exact stuff and love it. You made a good choice.

I would guess those two lagging behind are damping off from a bit too much moisture. Allowing them to dry a bit between watering will likely make a big difference. I would be feeding lightly with R/O at around 300 ppm and 5.9 t 6.0 PH. But only a tablespoon or so based on demand.

3 Likes

Ok sounds good thanks myfriend, I added some holes to sides of cups so they can dry out a bit more. I was assuming it wasn’t too much water since they were always so dry on top and I read coco is hard to over water(probably with proper ventilation tho).

Would 5.9 ph tap water with ppm of 250 be ok or should I add the nutes to the ro?

1 Like

250 isn’t bad: mine’s 550! Just leave it out for 24 hours to vent chlorine and if you can get a municipal water report you can see if there are chloramines used. If so you will want to get a chemical remover (Home Depot pond dechlorinator).

Start with a low TDS: maybe 500 ppm with your city water.

1 Like

Oh so I should put some nutes in the tap water and get ppm a little higher if I go that route?
I was under the impression, when ppl say to water seedlings with low ppm, that the tap water’s natural ppm was kind of interchangeable with adding nutes to get to the target low ppm.

Is this ewg a reputable source for water info?

1 Like

No idea; but yes, the city water supply isn’t going to contain the solids the plant wants. It does contribute to overall TDS which is one reason growers go with straight R/O.

1 Like

Journal update

Transplanted 2 larger seedlings last night
3 weeks from sprout- both roots were just starting to go around bottom of solo cup
Silver haze photo- 7 gal cloth pot- sohum soil
White widow auto- 5 gal cloth pot- sohum
Ro water ph 6.5 17ppm

Other 2 wwa are in roots organic solo cups ph-5.9 started light nutes at 200ppm.
New growth on one seems to really be curling under.

Running 2 fans periodically

2 Likes

@MattyBear @Myfriendis410
How do you think they look after transplant?

2 Likes

They look good from here :+1::v::bear:

1 Like

They look happy to me!

2 Likes

@MattyBear @dbrn32 @Myfriendis410

I need some more of your expert advice please :slight_smile:

This ww auto has a small lower branch with what looks to be a few male parts. Should I throw the whole plant or can I just clip that small branch off? The rest appears to be budding normal to me.

1 Like

Yeah; remove it and watch closely.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410
ok thanks! It has been removed.

How does it look to you overall, besides the male parts?
Leaves are slightly droopy, is that normal?
It’s in roots organic and kind soil.

1 Like

I would’ve suggested the same. Too far along not to try.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 @Myfriendis410 @MattyBear @Niala

Do these upper leaves curling under look like wind burn, nitrogen excess or something else?

It’s in sohum soil 70-77 degrees 45-50% rh
6.3-6.5 ph in, 6.8 ph runoff.
The other 3 plants in tent don’t have any leaves curling at all so I don’t know about it being wind burn.
I have 2 6” fans above plants, not directly pointed at them and an osc fan underneath turning on and off every 5 min.

1 Like

Can’t say I would apply any of those to your plants. I think they look pretty damn good!

1 Like