First Indoor Grow - Midwest

I don’t worry about a few isolated leaves. If issues look to be spreading though I would probably take closer look. If the leaves die off then I would remove them.

3 Likes

I’ve mainly been leaving it as a way to see if nutrient issues show up. Mainly the girls just have small amounts of tip burn, Leia is the only one this advanced.

2 Likes

You could do a runoff test to see what your ppms are. They might be eating their maximum, but like dbrn32 said, if it’s just a couple of leaves then there are no worries. Peace…

2 Likes

Day 81 / 33 Flower Schedule - Skywalker OG, Blue Dream, Cali Dream

Well I have been quite busy lately but I thought I would post an update.

The girls are still doing good right now still just trucking along.

I have a clone that has rooted (Skywalker)

Though it might have been taken too late to come back into veg.

I also have a couple seedlings that have sprouted

Another Blue Dream and California Dream

I also have some other seeds that I have soaking right now

Jack Herer
Cannatonic
Granddaddy Purple
Wedding Cake
Casey Jones (over paid - so they added them)

I’ll be making a journal for them once they get closer.

I have a question about the girls that already have growing pistils that are turning brown, is this normal this early in their flowering stage?

3 Likes

Yes it’s normal. They are looking fantastic!

2 Likes

@PiratedSoldier Hey, I think that’s me! I also overwatered, all I have to say is don’t do that. I learned that. So, somehow I missed all this, I’m gonna read your thread. I’m proof positive that you can fix it, so don’t worry, the people here have your back.

2 Likes

Well as this one is basically a month from harvest and I’m just going with nature I thought I would get some pro insight to some questions.

Best way to cut for harvest, like should I separate each branch or mainly just looking to get a good air separation?

For a first timer, better to wet or dry trim? I’m not worried about the time involved I’ve read benefits both ways.

Which follows to my main plan, tinctures and edibles, so with the trim can it just go straight to a decarb and then a batch or does trim need to dry as well?

For tinctures and edibles do I need to grind the flower before going into an infusion machine or can you just hand break it and it be good enough? (I have an infusion machine that mixes)

I’m planning to do partial harvests to get different levels of the plants, does anyone have a preference for how they’ve done this?

Any tips for things I should plan or prep for that might go wrong to be aware of?

Appreciate any insight, don’t worry about being harsh i take criticism like a sponge, to me it’s all important data.

@MadamCalamity @dbrn32 @Low @kaptain3d @AfgVet @patchman @PurpNGold74 @Hellraiser @imSICKkid

2 Likes

The way I do these things:

Best way to cut for harvest, like should I separate each branch or mainly just looking to get a good air separation?

• cut in the dark biggest branch you can get at a time and hang, given you have room. Try not to allow them to touch. If your buds aren’t to compact or touching the way it is now, hang the whole plant from the main stalk.

For a first timer, better to wet or dry trim? I’m not worried about the time involved I’ve read benefits both ways.

• I like to dry trim, prior to hanging I’ll pinch off any leaves I can see the stem on. Then I trim upon drying on the trim bin, to collect kief. I use the trim for butter or w/e.

Which follows to my main plan, tinctures and edibles, so with the trim can it just go straight to a decarb and then a batch or does trim need to dry as well?

• Yes you can. If I intend/plan on utilizing trim. I’ll freeze my trim that I remove throughout flowering and mix it with that. Also throw the larf in too.

For tinctures and edibles do I need to grind the flower before going into an infusion machine or can you just hand break it and it be good enough? (I have an infusion machine that mixes)

• I wouldn’t grind really just roughly crumble it, otherwise you risk burning it.

I’m planning to do partial harvests to get different levels of the plants, does anyone have a preference for how they’ve done this?

• I’ve not done this but there’s no harm in doing so, just clip the colas you want to take and hang.

I also recommend washing your buds prior to drying.

4 Likes

This is all my personal experience and opinions:

Best way to cut for harvest: That depends on the amount of control you have on the drying environment. The “sweet spot” is drying slowly, around a week’s time, to preserve the most terpenes. If your room is too dry, usually you keep most of the plant/branch so you have more “green” matter that will slow the drying.

If you have good control, you can break your plant apart with no problems…

It’s a matter of preference. Wet trim is faster but your plant will dry faster too (see above). Dry trim is usually “gummy” as hell, but lots of finger/scissors hash… :crazy_face:

A good dry will get rid of a lot of the chlorophyll taste…

Yes, good enough. And even better. Too fine a grind will, usually, result with a product with more impurities/green matter in…

Make sure you take breaks when you trim. It’s hell for the back if not set up properly.
If you can, get a trim bin. You’ll be much more comfortable and you’ll get craploads of kief :partying_face:

3 Likes

I’ve seen some people doing this, is it something I should think about doing for this batch or do on the next? I’m assuming that there’s the possibility of messing something up and ruining the harvest.

4 Likes

You won’t ruin the harvest and it doesn’t effect flavor or smell of the final product.

You know how fans and surfaces get dusty? Well your buds love collecting that stuff, too. And most plants even though you might not see it, has mildew or mold to some degree. When you go to wash you will see it all setting at the top of the wash solution. I use 8oz 3% peroxide for 5 gallons then rinse with regular water. This could possibly also help prevent any molding that may occur during dry… but that shouldn’t happen as long as your humidity is where it should be, and you have air flow.

3 Likes

Btw @Low , here’s the image showing two off branches that stretched to the red+UV lights. This is the Skywalker, Blue Dream did it as well but with how many branches she has it’s not as clear in a photo.

5 Likes

I will plan to get cola comparison for both plants at harvest, though with partials this might skew it a bit.

2 Likes

that’s crazy. Why does it look like arms and open hands reaching to the sky?! :joy: pretty cool.

3 Likes

Maybe because we’d love to hug her! :partying_face:

Beautiful :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The BD colas that stretched to them are already large. Its really funny when you look at it with the tent open, it’s like they made a wall to protect the inner colas. Or like someone parting the sea of weed!

Just imagine weed instead!

4 Likes

Whatever you feel works probably good enough. You just want the buds not to be stacked on top of or against each other. How they end up could vary from plant to plant for me.

Dry trimming sucks. The only real advantage to it is holding a little more moisture in plants to slow dry time some. But unnecessary if you can get your conditions decent. I would wet trim when you hang, then maybe do a little final manicure before you cure.

I would visit specific recipes for what you’re planning on doing. Recommended state of flower could vary depending on what you’re looking for. This could be good for your trim too.

Don’t over dry.

2 Likes

As far as cutting, I personally like to cut main branches and hand them that way. I also wish the buds, just for precautionary measures.

Trimming is a personal preference. I’d rather be water boarded than to dry trim. But try both and see which you prefer.

For tinctures and edibles everything needs to be dry. You don’t want water from the plant to get into the mix. And you want to break the buds up by hand, don’t grind them. The less damage to the flower the less chlorophyll will be released

3 Likes

Well I appreciate all the advice from everyone, I’ve spent that time planning based off all the advice along with getting a shopping list together for items I’m lacking.

Thanks again for the advice!

Here is an update on the girls. I will post some pictures this evening if their trichomes.

4 Likes

Well if anyone has any suggestions for how to get a clear image of the trichomes that isn’t blurry as hell from being zoomed in that far on a microscope :microscope: I’m all ears.

Even Turing off all the air flow I can see the trichomes but picture wise they are coming out terrible.

3 Likes