First indoor grow journal.... enjoy!

I wouldn’t put a time frame on LST, growth will be slightly stalled as that’s a lot of soil for her to bury her roots in.

As luke stated don’t over water.

Pick up pot, does it feel empty, time to water. Feels heavy, don’t water. I invested in a moisture meter to stop my 2nd guessing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MJ8J2U/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_odutFbV5V0401

1 Like

Your seedlings look great ! You’re off to a good start.

3 Likes

I bought one but everything I read said dont trust them. I just got it for the lumen reader for setting my light heights.

2 Likes

Moisture meters work fine, most people just don’t know how to use them properly. Can’t just stick in in one spot and go with whatever that one spot reads, there are varying levels of moisture throughout the pot and multiple places need to be checked and if any place reads moist - then don’t water.

6 Likes

No worries, if I see what you see , things are well.

I got one (Moisture Sensor), but I stop using it .Knuckle test and lifting my pots for weight work for me

Thankyou for the tag. They’re looking great buddy :sunglasses:, just keep an eye on the love levels. Too much love at this point is what kills a lot of these little ones :man_facepalming:

1 Like

@neofraud_811 Word of advice, don’t be like me .When I started ,I had 3 great growers helping me .These guys didn’t grow weed ,they look more like trees. They all had different styles of growing. And I tried to follow all of their advice.The problem was it was conflicting. Exp.seedling should only get 5ml of water a day,no 15ml,and no 30ml. You should top at the 2nd node , no at the 3rd node ,and no let it grow out to the 8th node and top at the 6th. You need a scrog net ,no first grow don’t use a net,and no you need two nets. Who was right ,all of them. You have to find out what is best for you and your cultivar, media ,your grow space. And don’t be afraid to make mistakes. It’s going to happen. It’s just going to make you better. Good luck with your grow.

2 Likes

LST - even though they are autos there is no great rush to LST. They need to be strong enough (roots and stem) to handle the bending. It might be two more weeks ±, totally depends on how they develop. It might have 3 nodes or 4. This is a jack herer auto on day 34 above ground (she was VERY slow getting started)

I have also had white widow autos with LST on day 24

You will be able to tell by looking at the plant if it is ready. Each will be on it’s own clock.

3 Likes

I believe it was in your Gorilla grow that I was getting the negative feedback and @Zee I greatly appreciate the advice. I will give it a try for moisture as well as lumens. Certainly cant hurt. Like @KoolHandLuke said there is just a brain overload of info in these forums. I had to limit myself to just ILGM. Thanks everyone for opinions you folks are awesome for dealing with us newbies.

2 Likes

Hey @beardless, have you watched From seed to Stoned on YouTube? That’s who I was getting LST ideas from for the autos.

I had not seen that particular video. I did just now watch Day 18 - Our First LST Training. It was pretty straight forward. Visually, you can tell the plants are ready for training. That is the main take away. One other point to bring up his his use of Rhino Skin. It is an advanced nutrients Silica product. Silica is a great product and I use it. Silica stiffens stems etc. He commented that he will back off / reduce the amount used because he did not want the stems to stiffen so much he would be unable to train them. Its use therefore accelerates the need to train early. Early training of autos is understandable because of the short window of time you have to do it in.
Many growers, and I am one of them, hold off on the use of silica until a little later. One of its key benefits is " potassium silicate increases the formation, sturdiness, size and resin content of THC glands" (bigbuds mag) as well as the other benefits described in the article. This is the primary reason I use it.
You are right about following and applying the methods used by a limited number of respected growers. If you you don’t, info overload can paralyze you. So, my advice, again FWIW is, commit to the approach / method you choose. Keep a detailed log of what and when you do things (first couple of grows), You will find what works for you and your plants. It sounds strange but your plants will let you know too especially when you start feeding them. I am very much in the process of learning this aspect. Have fun, enjoy the process. I certainly do.

1 Like

Ok y’all, I’ve got a learning experience to deal with. I ended up with 7 out of 9 pop. They are all 4 to 6 days above ground. I noticed that my first two that came up were a little skinny in the stalks so I lowered my lights from 36" to 24". I check them 2xdaily (sun up and sun down) 24 hours later the upward growth slowed a little and the other 5 were only a half inch tall but on their 2nd set of leaves. I thought I was good until this morning. Almost all the girls are 3" or taller and they have very skinny stalks, they are not leaning or laying down, just straight up and super thin.I have a light,light breeze on them and I lowered light again to 18" (I dont feel any heat at plant level. I’m using FFOF and dont want to chem burn them because they’re autos but what do you think of a 1/4 dose 2 times of cal-mag? They’re looking very healthy (no color changes etc.) other than stalks.
I’ll get pics when I get home from work. It’s been so much fun so far. I’m loving it!! @KoolHandLuke, @Zee, @kellydans, @BobbyDigital, @Enlightened420, @beardless

3 Likes

@neofraud_811 Sounds like you are off to a good start

2 Likes

Good call bringing light down. Post some pics.

You won’t need nutes for a month with FFOF, however you can add calmag.

Glad to hear you got them going!

1 Like

Sounds good ! if your soil has settled down in the pot a little , I like to backfill with more soil on the stretching skinny stem. And a little breeze you should be good.

1 Like

Thank you @Zee, @KoolHandLuke, and @kellydans I promise to post some pics when I get home.I was thinking that cal-mag was ok since some people add it to their soil. I was also thinking that I didn’t want too much to make them brittle before LST. I am going to take your suggestion to Kellydans and backfill. I have 3 pots mixed up that didn’t sprout.

3 Likes

No to any nutrients. They would get cooked. FF OF can carry them 5 - 6 weeks. After they have 4-5 nodes and good leaves, possibly a little Big Bloom if you are using the trio. It is not overpowering and has good stuff in it. If they are solid green and healthy, probably won’t even need BB for a while yet.

I used to tell people not to plant seedling in FFOF and use HF and don’t give seedlings anything but water until the plant show you it’s a problem. Then everyone pounced on me . So now I stop giving that advice if the plant looks healthy. (I don’t think it’s good )but I’ve seen healthy plants that has been getting low dosage of nutrients all the way from the start. I’m new at this so I try to stay in my lane.

Ok. As promised.Uploading: 20200903_203140.jpg… Uploading: 20200903_203050.jpg… Uploading: 20200903_203021.jpg… Uploading: 20200903_202850.jpg… Uploading: 20200903_202801.jpg…
Ok. So they are all a nice dark green. Since there is an exception to every rule you can see 1 of them is lighter with a little yellow starting. When I lowered the light I was heading to work so I did it quickly and one side was slightly lower than the other. The one on that end was the one starting to yellow. I raised that side up. Ok so I am going to just leave them alone now. They will need a drink in morning but nothing else. I will watch the yellowing one and if things progress negatively I will get back with you. I am going to post pics again next week. @KoolHandLuke, @beardless, @Zee, @kellydans.
Btw KoolHandLuke my seedling method came right from you in last post. I just skipped the solo cups because I didn’t want to transplant autos and my humidity is averaging 62% in grow room. Also, we have the same lights so I am following your light height I just forgot the driver was preset for strength. Thanks for your help all

1 Like