First Indoor Grow, a few problems Maybe

@1BigFella
I gotta agree with you. And I can foresee a huge crowding problem. SOOOOO…have decided to get another tent. a 4x4x80. I don’t have room for both tents right now. Maybe in the near future. Anyway, putting them at the end of the month in the bigger tent. Just make things easier I think in the long run. Plus it will allow me to put some lights and that way I can put a light on each plant. And have room for a shelf to put the OGK’s on. And room to SCROG the WW and the GL. And with the 80 inch tent can have some extra room. I though this current tent was an 80, but is only a 72. Wish I could afford one of those gorilla tents with their extra height, but oh well.

1 Like

@Laurap
I FIMED the GL this morning. Looks to be a good one. Will post a photo later this afternoon. Tired right now. Been up all night pacing the floor. Leg pain was bad. And thanks for describing the LST.
Well, with this being my first grow ever, inside or out. I figure to make plenty of mistakes. Already done my share and likely plenty more in the future. :crazy_face:
This is it for me for a while today. Hitting the sack…sleeping…I hope. :unamused:

1 Like

Hi welcome to Ilgm , just found your journal.
Doing great,already upgrading to bigger tent! :sunglasses: the never ending list has started​:wink:
Don’t sweat the gorrilla tent , I’ve heard plenty of folks regret the $$ for shotty equip

2 Likes

I grew a Gold Leaf SCROG in half my 3x3 tent and two Blueberry Autos on the other side of my tent.

The BBA’s have been harvested and now I’m starting two Amnesia Haze Autos on that side. I raise and lower the smaller plants as needed but the lights stay at the same height.

@cyberblast

LST stands for light stress training. I did it with my plants before I scrogged them to help them get nice and bushy. You basically tie down the main stem that way all of the side shoots think they’re the main stalk and start growing upwards.

Here is a pic from a while ago that shows mine.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your pain! I’ve got a basket full of mistakes but luckily these strains and genetics are very forgiving! Look forward to seeing your girls grow up!:v:

@Nug-bug
Thanks for the reply. Yea, started this so I could get help as needed, and to journal the grow. Yea, I have been researching the gorilla tents and what I have read in reviews decided me against them. Too many of them mentioning shody materials and poor customer service. And the high price for it. So will stick with the brand I know. Yea, getting a bigger tent is pretty much a needed simply to manage even a small grow such as mine. Discovered though that I can only get a 48x36x80 max. I wanted to 4x4 but checking my space…dont have room. :confused: So can add an extra foot and that will help alot.

2 Likes

@Ray4x Okay, thanks for the good demo photos on how to do the LST. What I needed. Just FIM’d the GL and now will be waiting to see how it recovers and if I did it right. Was going to take a photo of it today, but decided to wait a couple of days to see how it starts to recover and can get a closeup of any new growth at the FIM site. Right now it looks good and the girl is already healing the main tip and tiny leaves that I pinched. I have done this same thing with Avacodo trees that I have grown to get them to branch out. Otherwise they just grow tall which you dont want. So this is a technique that I was actually familiar with Couple of weeks down the road, with try the LST if I can. Not sure how I will do it if my fim creates 4 or more new branches at the spot. The plant is growing surprisingly bushy for a GL. Just wondering if I either got a different seed or if I grabbed a different seed. Could be the genetics of this particular GL is coming together to create a bushy plant. Possible.

Would be neat to be able to get one branch of the GL girl to seed and see if it would breed true. I read something about doing that a while back, but dont remember where and how to go about doing that once I put the girl into flower. As fast as she is growing and as big as she looks to get, its going to be a crowd in my current tent and even if I expand it with a new tent, its still going to be a crowd I think. Only have room for one tent at the moment, but would love to actually set up two. One for a seperate flowering tent or for splitting up a grow like I have right now. Going to consider finding a spot for my current tent so I can do that when I get the new one. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

@cyberblast

LST works great with topping or fimming as well. Just tie down the 4 new branches as they start to grow!

Also remember that just because a strain is supposed to act a certain way- the the different phenotype may be different even within the same strain. That could give you different growth patterns. As far as trying to seed one branch- that sounds risky to me. That would mean either hermie or pollination. And that could ruin your whole crop.

Also super awesome if you’d be able to set up a perpetual grow. One tent for veg and clones- another for flowering. That’s the dream brother!

2 Likes

OK, I have decided to go with a 48 x 36 x 72 tent. It has a built in shelf setup so I can put my OGK girls there and raise and/or lower them as needed without moving the light itself over them. Going to get a couple more of these LED lights I got. They are doing great so far and are 600 watt lights. Not sure if going to more lights but getting the 1000 watt size would make much of a difference? I am thinking of having 2 more lights for a total of 4 so would have a lite over each plant…whoops…actually only need 3 since the OGK girls are sharing one pot.

But for the GL should I go ahead and get the 1000 watt LED? Or just go ahead and get 2 more so I have good coverage over my scrog for the GL and if the WW needs extra trimming as well, a 1000 watt for it?
Not sure just how going from 600 to 1000 will make much of a difference since I will have a lamp for each pot and put them as close as needed to my girls. Or am I thinking wrong???

@Ray4x

Okay, tying down the 4 branches sounds good. Yea, I was reading up on plant genetics and the different phenotypes that can develope withing same strains. I guess, I lucked out and got the bushy one just as I needed it. I dont plan on risking my grow with trying to do a partial seeding. Not now anyway. Something I might consider down the road on another grow just to try it.

I wouldnt mind a perpetual grow just just so i could try out different strains and techniques once I have this grow under my belt. Just growing for my own use, maybe some for family. Dont want to supply anyone else. Too hazardous. But I guess limiting my grows to just one or two plants will let me do that without producing a huge amount. I dont think my wife would tolerate me walking around all day zombyfied with a huge smile on my face. :yum: Then again…maybe she would. :rofl:

2 Likes

@cyberblast

Haha I’m in the same boat brother.

Just growing for myself and to give away some to friends and family. I’m in Cali so we can “gift” weed no problem. Im also planning on making some butter and honey. My wife is a great baker so I’m gonna have her make me up some delicious edibles.

@Ray4x
I am also going to try the butter and honey route. And my wife is a great baker as well. Would really enjoy some brownies and I want to try making some hard candies as well. Just seems to be a simple way to get a hit when needed without alerting anyone in the immediate area.

Where I am it isnt a good idea to get on the radar. Strictly stealth. Even from family. And for the future as well. I dont mind sharing some bud with a friend or family, but as to source of it…nope. What sucks for me is I moved away from Colorado the year before they legalized things. THAT sucked. Been kicking myself since. I had the perfect location there to be able to setup a commercial grow operation easily. But have been considering moving back there.

1 Like

Lol on the fish emulsion! I used it my first two outdoor grows. In that setting the smell settled after about 24 hours, indoors, yikes! At any rate, the plants love it. I would keep a small fan going all the time, it makes for stronger plants, and reduces problems with humidity. Good luck.

1 Like

You know, if that GL is a great plant and you want to keep producing more exactly like it, you could regenerate it after harvest and make it your mother. Use it to produce clones for years. If you had two tents setup then one could be your veg + mother at 18/6 lighting and the other could be your flowering tent at 12/12. Just a thought. Finding a great phenotype is a stroke of luck and you might not want to lose the genetics.

2 Likes

@Gardengirl @1BigFella

Gardengirl, yea, that smell was bad in the house. But running the fan and filter it wasnt bad except when I opened the tent to work in there. And yea, its good for them, but not sure if i want to use it much in the tent. Good or not. Got some Fox Farm stuff to use instead. Got their big bud kit. Will see how it does.

1bigfella, I have to agree with you. I would hate to lose that phenotype of this girl. Hadnt thought about regenerating it after harvest, but sounds like a great idea. Just got to find a spot for this tent once I get the new one. But doing the way you suggest is a great suggestion. Thanks. Just FIM’d it the other day and its already got 2 larger branches coming out and looks like 3 to 4 smaller ones forming. And its still growing well, but like into a bush. Not really getting any taller atleast not yet.
This phenotype is really a keeper if it keeps on like this as a GL. wowser. :joy:

1 Like

@Rugar89 @1BigFella @bob31 @Ray4x @Gardengirl @Laurap
cyberblast

New photos.well, mostly.
first photo is of the GL girlie i took last week and is above.

_MG_1257

Next photo is of the seeds I just put in a paper towel ysterday. They are BS seeds, or Bag seeds. I got a bunch of them and was just trying them. 5 of 6 have legs.

Next photos are of the GL from today. First one, a close up of where I fimmed her. The next just a bit of distance

This girl is going great guns. Just 2 days since I fim’d her and its hard to tell. If you need a closer view, let me know and will try. I tried to make these so you could get a large view, but dont know if I did it right.

7 Likes

@cyberblast

Looking good! The fimming will pay dividends!

She’s pretty! For me it’s hard to tell if I topped or fim mine till I see new growth. I love surprises though

1 Like

She’s already quite a looker! I can never tell if I fim or top till I see new growth.