First hydro grow - questions/issues

Honestly, it may not be ideal IMO. But, it may also work fine. I just try to give you some things to think about. We have seen different ways of running rdwc and what works for some may not always work for others and vise versa.

Think of it this way, this is my 20 gal tote. Put this in a 12 gal tote.

I run 22 gal empty. Right now I may have 13 - 15 gal total.

I started out gonna do a dwc grow but then I had to think about how I wanted to grow.
The problems that go along with dwc, I didn’t want to battle.
Lack of chiller, didn’t want to battle.
The chances of flooding my house, didn’t want to battle.
Doing a scrog, I did want to battle… lol
So, I went with rdwc.

It will all come in time. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Great points! I’ll increase the tote size or quantity.

So how many totes do u have and what size return pipe and supply pipe?

My system is 100% going to change after this build, I’m mainly toying around. But I don’t want to waste time either.

Any thoughts on my current bud harvest? Sorry to be answering questions in piece meal, I’m all over the place tonight. March 15 bud sites began appearing. About 56 days ago.

1 Like

@HappyHydroGrower

Just had a thought…I could do Two 2" returns on each tote. 2 totes, 2 2" returns lines each. Ever see that done? And larger totes. Might be especially good bc I’m planning on experimenting and making them have multiple plants in each tote. 3 plants in each tote, but flowering them right away. Im looking to do a sog type thing.

2 Likes

Here is a diagram of what I got.

And here is my setup if you can make heads or tails out of it.

I run 1.5” from res to totes and 3/4” return to the chiller and then into the res.
Mine is an undercurrent rdwc, meaning, water flows under the roots instead of top feeding

I also set my net pots near the back of the tote so the roots are farther away from the outlet.
Every now and then, I just reach inside the totes and fold the roots back over themselves and away from the outlet. I may have done that 5 times this grow.

Here is where I’m at right now with this grow.
Strawberry Cough on the left, 7th week of flower and Trainwreck on the right, 6th week of flower.

Clip about a 1/4@ off the top of that bud. It will stop that foxtail from growing vertical.

You still have between 2 -3 weeks easy.
The buds will swell, almost enveloping the hairs… most times.
Keep feeding them IMO. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

If your gonna try a sog, I would go with the largest tote that will fit in your tent. It can be done. :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

@HappyHydroGrower

Dammit!! Lmao. Timing wise I’m hoping to end this current harvest already because of how my current ones ready for the big tent are. That always seems to be the case though. But the longer I wait, I have to throw the sog idea down the toilet and think of a new plan.

Yeah I get the schematic I think. Will keep looking it over. 1.5" returns, 3/4" supply and way bigger totes. Have to absorb the details a bit more.

1 Like

Actually it’s 1.5” feed and 3/4” return to the res because of the way the water flows. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Clip 1/4" you say? Or 1/4 of the bud?

It smells so good!! But this auto is sooo slow.

At this rate I think I’m going to go with a new plan altogether to take advantage of my current tents and plans.

1 Like

Glad I asked! Lol

Kind of like so. :v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Alright!! This will be cool and interesting! Thank you so much for the advice. And absolutely gorgeous ladies you have growing there btw! :sunflower:

1 Like

One thing that I’m absolutely LOVING is my adoption of using the Lucas formula from advice earlier up in my questions. Who said it, I forget, but thank you. But my plants are LOVING it and it’s so much easier to mix nutes that are the same for every single plant in every tent at different stages of their grow. Saves enormous time for me while the plants are ecstatic as well. May change systems at some point but this has been a game changer for me. If I don’t use armor SI it’s always super close to 5.8 too so it’s fast to adjust.

That’s always my reason for doing what I do. Fast and easy.

Sorry I fell behind on the journal - glad the root rot situation got corrected quickly. :v::100:

2 Likes

Hey @Graysin !

Thanks for checking in and your advice throughout and learning through your grow journal. Sorry as well for not keeping up. I’ve been trying to learn as much as possible and the amount of reading posts and info can be overwhelming. I’m hoping I’ll slowly get better at it.

For my new grow I will start a fresh journal.

The root rot actually has not gone away as I thought it did. It came back right after a water change. It leads me to wonder if it’s root rot at all. Though I did add another dose of peroxide yesterday and will check the roots again in a few hours.

I was hoping to get those plants into a new system ASAP with chiller and more water but now that it seems my current harvest may need a few more weeks I have to rethink things to attempt to save them if it will keep happening.

I have to say…I’m mystified by the choice of the supply and return but I imagine it’s in your posts that I will have to dig through mañana

I was worried about this as well, but when I thought about it, the hottest my tent get is 80, my house stays 72-75 so it’s less than A10 degree difference at most so I didn’t worry about it,

1 Like

Mine as about the same. Air pump city here I go! This will be my 4th air pump now haha

1 Like

The deed is done! :astonished:

That felt violating. I snipped the tips off the uppermost colas. This will be interesting. Hope I didn’t misunderstand.

I have to say…on the short plant the bud tips are super dense. I’ve never touched the buds before trimming besides brushing along them.

1 Like

Don’t be surprise if they flag your email. Be careful about posting personal or even just an email unless it’s ilgm related.

On a brighter note, put those clippings and put them in a paper bag. Put that in a dark warm spot and in about 5 days smoke it…

Several of my buds either fall off or accidentally get clipped off…. :wink: I think we have always caught a buzz off what fell in the bag… :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a silly spare gamer email I use but that’s understandable and fair.

And already done and I can’t wait! Haha. The smell on these jack Herrers is so unique! It’s like a peppery pine tree with a bit of sweetness to it. It’s like a fancy shmancy soap.

2 Likes