First Hydro Grow, let’s grow together!

Good to know. It was a white cloud

Sounds right to me. Well-mixed between each addition?

If so, all I can imagine is something came over when you moved the plant in. a good thorough rinse of the rockwool and pebbles, then a res change out will take care of the aroma.

If it recurs, it’s time to think about a water chiller and properly blocking the light.

1 Like

Thanks gray, I really appreciate the speedy response is here. I could certainly see why maybe I didn’t mix the nutes enough between each dosing. I did not pre-mix them and dump them directly into the Rez and did not dilute any. But honestly I dosed the nutrients a day or two before I dropped the plant in. So I’m somehow thinking if it’s some combination of the baking soda and late additional nutrients to get ppm dialed in.
I’ll give everything a good rinsing and start over. Luckily it’s early enough in the cycle but the seed will be fine in Rockwool until I get the raz refilled.

Day 1 fail! Lol

1 Like

Gray pretty much hit all the point’s. I definitely recommend getting a decent sized trash can or tote and pre mixing your nute solution just get get it all dialed in before you put it in your system. The only time I’ve seen this issue is when organics were used in a system. It was like the system was brewing compost tea but I don’t think that’s your case. the separate additives may not have been fully mixed so they reacted when they were trying to mix. The only thing I really noticed I do different is I add the cal mag first. I’m not sure if you’re using ro water but I feel like the nutes mix better when the cal mag goes first. I 100% agree with dumping those nutes and cleaning the system and starting fresh. That the glory of dwc as long as you catch the problem fast you can fix it fast. Give your self at least 5 mins of mixing between each additive and you should be good.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. Had a YouTube worthy blooper reel draining my system. Learned I need a secondary high cap pump to drain. I’ll just say that considerable amount of towels were involved.

Refilled it and letting it air out running for a bit. We have high chlorine in our water. I don’t have an RO filter but considering it in the future. My space likely won’t allow for a dedicated premix station. I kinda have a place but not there yet.

I’ll reset in the morning and see if I get knocked out in round 2.

Thanks to you both!

Any time! Keep us posted, we can come up with more ideas if these don’t solve it.

Anytime! My work schedule the past couple weeks has been crazy. so my replies take a little longer but I get on here through out the day.

I could put a blooper reel together myself its the only way we learn what not to do. Lol

Update for you. To recap, shit show yesterday, stinky, drained and refilled whole system. Mixed new nutes waited 10min in between. Went in order cal mag, micro, gro, bloom, hydroguard. Ph 5.86 @ 66.8*

That was last night, today got home from work to check and wasn’t knocked off my feet when I walked into the room. Water temp 68*. Though all was good. But when I lift the lid I do get a similar waft of stank. Not near as strong. It’s just lingering in the shadows. I need my wife to get home as she is like a blood hound. But there is something definitely there. Just at a loss.

@Graysin @Steveo8586

1 Like

Let’s ask @peachfuzz @HappyHydroGrower @Covertgrower @Myfriendis410 - hydro reservoir smelling funky.
Using GH Flora trio nutes and baking soda as PH up + hydroguard. Just changed out the res after the weird smell started. Hydroton and rockwool have been rinsed. Funky smell came back milder next day after res change.

Thoughts yall?

2 Likes

I would run peroxide through the system, for a bit. Should kill anything left over. The amount of peroxide would be relative to the amount of water in the system.

2 Likes

Couple of points here:

Change out your hose to a black hose not clear. That clear hose will allow algae to grow.

Also, you will absolutely need silica, calmag, and hydroguard.

Mixing order should be:

Silica
Calmag
Nutes
then hydroguard which you can mix in after you ph or before ph. It does nothing to ppm’s or ph.

If you don’t use silica, calmag still needs to be mixed first before nutes according to GH

Silica will help with cell structure and bud development and of corse hydroguard will help with protecting your roots from root rot.
Good luck and keep’em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

So I have 3% hydrogen peroxide and a 25 gal system. Based on what I have read thinking I should start with 40 tsp or 195ml of hydrogen peroxide. I read 2-3tsp per gallon of 3% diluted solution.

Will I need to do anything to nutrient mixture after? Or does it not impact nutes?

1 Like

You’ll want to add Hydroguard back in after 24 hours of introducing the peroxide.

I’m not sure if it affects the nutrients.

The truly safest thing to do would be drain the system and refill with tap water, add peroxide. Then run the system for 12-24 hrs, and drain afterward. Then refill with nutrients.

I always add my microbes after I pH. PH solutions are strong and concentrated, I worry the PH up/down will kill off my microbes if I add microbes before I PH.

2 Likes

I use one 32 oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide for every system clean…
And a 16 oz of hydrogen peroxide and bout the same in 91 % rubbing alcohol for stones and water pumps…
With no plant’s in system…
Just cleaning everything…
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Do you that when the Rez is full or after drained and use it as an cleaner?

1 Like

Empty plant’s and than clean system with those 2 products and clean hot water…
Need to keep things as sterile as possible…
So clean first with hot water…
Clean again with hydrogen peroxide…
The system…
And clean air stones with hot clean water than hydrogen peroxide than 91 % rubbing alcohol and in-between each dunk I spray 150 psi air pressure through my air stones , to blow out all of the crap in there…
I also don’t let my air stones dry out before they are cleaned…
As soon as I chop they get into a clean bowl of water until I can get to them to clean them…
:v:t4: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just wanted to write an update. So after the last water issue with slight smell coming back. I added 240ml of 3% H2O2. Let that run for 12 hours and then pH’d back to 5.8. I had taken the pot out of the tank and moved my rockwool cube to a domed cup while the water circulated. Rinsed out all the hydroton and rinsed the rockwool with distilled water. Just firing at the hip at this point.

Reset the plant and dropped pot back in tanks.

It’s been nearly ~40hrs and things are looking good. Water stable and plant seems to be doing well.

Thanks for all the input here. Will keep you posted and surely have more questions pop up.

5 Likes

Glad to hear the H2O2 solved the funky smell (probably). :v:

Update coming tomorrow been busy with work.

1 Like

So update on day number 8 since “the issue”. Things looking good. Water is stable as hell. I have actually been surprised how steady it’s been. Been holding temp range of 66.7-71.2 with most time sitting in the 68-69 range. PPM holding steady or as expected and the PH, which I thought I would have issues with due to our very hard water, has nearly not moved off the 5.83 I set it at.

Plant looks good to me(let me know if you disagree). I did check and not roots have come out the bottom of the net pot yet, but not sure when that is suppose to happen. RH is a bit lower that I would like I think, sitting at 40% right now but has mostly been in high 30s. Thinking I might need to increase that a bit.

Overall so far so good and hoping for no jinx. Couple of pics at day 8 in the tank.

Edit my info: changes light settings to all the way dimmed (50%) and 32” above tank.

2 Likes