First harvest. wow the amount of shrinking

I had read that about 75% of weight is water weight so I went into it knowing that. But wow to actually witness the amount of shrinking during drying for the first time LOL my dry weight/final yeild hopes keep getting smaller and smaller. I know its normal, just amazed by the shock of witnessing it for first time

4 Likes

@Meloco1980 hi,I know what you mean, I just harvested a sour diesel. It had 21 oz. Wet. When I was done drying it, I had approximately 4 oz. I sure wish I could turn that around somehow :confused::pensive::upside_down_face:.

3 Likes

It’s even worse with a mushroom grow. Shrooms are 90% water.

8 Likes

The key is to never weigh it until it is dry.
Stems and leaves for the garden compost.

A tray of sugar leaves, loose buds in the tote and small buds I’m too lazy to trim. To be cured and something done with it later

I weigh it when it goes into bags / jars

9 Likes

Yeah I didnt weight mine wet just put a guesstimate on it. figured 3-4 ounces. now im thinking maybe 1.5 lol Its my first grow so im super happy with it. I plan to make butter with sugar leaves. not sure what all parts of plant can be used for edibles. ive kept and dried the fan leaves but dont know if i should use them?

2 Likes

@MidwestGuy @beardless never grown mushrooms, but I have a daughter that is giving it a try now :wink:. Yes, I have learned that your weed is about 1/5 dry what it is wet. But to keep me from feeling like everything evaporated I’ve just started weighing it when I get it dry. In fact, sometimes now I just throw it in the jars without weighing. I figure as long as I have some in a few jars I’m good :yum::yum::yum::rofl::rofl::rofl:. By the way, those are some nice looking buds.

4 Likes

That’s what I do now. Why make myself sad at what shrinkage there is

I soooo want to do mushroom cultivation. One of these day perhaps

3 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood I hear you brother, as long as I have some stash in a few jars and some more on the way, I’m happy :blush::grinning::smile:. I’m not going to grow mushrooms, just going to help my daughter with hers, if everything goes well for her grow :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I want to do the thing where you just inoculate the bag with spores
I cant get into all the science and building substrate in jars… too much work

I would be happy to make enough for a couple of nice trips for me and girlfriend

You might find these threads helpful.

1 Like

Yep just like deer antlers

2 Likes

@Mr_Wormwood, thanks will send to my daughter

1 Like

@RPgrower if you ever have questions just holler! I’d be happy to help! I don’t do the bags even though they are supposed to be easier… I just like the larger production from the mono tub (bulk grow)

2 Likes

I’m scared to try that first time out maybe I’ll try it later

1 Like

I am glad my digital scale’s battery died! I just measure by volume - which is usually diminished a bit by my taster testers!

2 Likes

I just started my first shroom grow. Excited about it…

3 Likes

I started microdosing shrooms for depression 2 years ago and haven’t taken an anti-depressant since. I quit them 2 weeks after my first microdose. Results were nearly immediate, but I was taking venlafaxine and you can’t go cold turkey with it.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can go cold turkey on any anti-depressants. Some of the ‘add ons’ are ok…

1 Like

Smoking has helped my wifes depression greatly. I cant smoke for a couple of reasons. She wont try shrooms, she ate them once and freaked out. That was when she was young and she probably took way to many.

I never got anything but a nice euphoric feeling from shrooms so I dont really understand the bad trip.