First Harvest Soon... Dry Room Advice?

Beginner here… first grow! Got five autos that are getting close, I think! :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:Woo Hooooo!

Still a lot of white pistils… keeping a close eye on things with my jeweler’s loupe, daily. Mostly still clear, some cloudy, very few amber trichs. Week or two, maybe…

So…

How do you all set up your dry room spaces? I’m working with what I’ve got, at this point, and that will basically be a closet in my bedroom.

What are the absolute necessities when talking about temp/humidity & conditions I ought to pay attention to? I can really only keep the house at about 70°, and it may be a little warmer than that upstairs, where I’ll have to do my drying.

Just trying to figure out some space, time and requirements. Any suggestions welcomed!

Thanks all, this forum rocks. :+1::+1::+1:

Got a newbie growers thread on here too, for more info on my whole grow… (“Bel’s Green Babies”) and I have been getting some wonderful advice from the best, most incredible folks. Just throwing this out there.

Thanks!!!

3 Likes

I hang a sweater dryer over the shower curtain rod in an unused bathroom. The overhead fan is good for circulating air, but I still also use a 6" fan to keep air moving around. I use a humidifier (or dehumidifier dependingf on the season) to maintain humidity in the high 60% range. Temps are maintained high 60s to low 70s. Usually takes about 7 to 10 days to dry.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! Do you do the “snap” test, to know when they are ready?

I heard someone on the Grove Bags thread talk about using a meter to check out the moisture levels… that sounded interesting too. Might have to get me one of those.

& How long do people usually “cure,” after they are dry?

Sorry, I don’t know what a grove bag is. I use a little Inkbird humidity meter. It’s not spot on, but it’s close enough to work with.

Yes, I check the “snap” of the stems and start the cure before they start snapping clean. I like to see a little, more firm “bend” in the stems rather than snapping. Snapping is too dry imho.

3 Likes

Okay great, thank you!!!

Grove Bags are a newer thing that a lot of people swear by these days… there is a really great thread on here about it that I’ve been following. I’m psyched to try them out.

I believe it was started by @Audiofreak

A lot of good reading and info in there. :+1:

1 Like

Okay. I just looked up grove bags. I just use Ball jars and they work just fine.

I use one of either of these to monitor humidity. The first one fits just fine in the Ball jars. The second is a little to big for jars, but I use them in the drying room.

Or,

1 Like

Awesome, thank you!

1 Like

I shoot for 2 weeks, burping them twice a day for a couple of days and then once a day after that. Once 2 weeks is up I no longer burp the jars.

1 Like

How do I use this with these?

1 Like

I’ve never seen them before. I just burp by unscrewing the lids for a few minutes at a time.

1 Like

@MidwestGuy Does the hygrometer go in the jar?

Yes, that is what I do. I use clear jars so that I don’t have to open the jars to see what the humidity is.

2 Likes

@MidwestGuy I’m pretty confident I’d be able to see the hygrometer through the amber jars, I like them cuz they keep out uv rays and light

I just put my curing jars in a drawer in my grow room to keep the light out.

2 Likes

@MidwestGuy yeah whatever works right? I don’t know I just buy stuff I think will help at times and those burp lids did great with my last harvest so simple just pop the jar once a day, let some air in, put the lid back on and use the pump that came with the lids to pump out the air from the jar which you can feel and smell coming out, and let it be until the next day, I keep humidity packs in there for a bit too, really cool idea and IMHO money very well spent, it helps for ppl who may have to store larger amounts for a while tremendously, I just was wondering if I could put the hygrometer in there and keep a more accurate environment inside the jar!!

I just use a 3ml syringe to add a few drops of water when necessary, though I do use boveda packs for long-term storage.

I set in a dark, cool, airy attic. Sometimes the barn loft. But I keep them far enough apart for good air flow. Which I think is critical to get them dry! But that’s just some old school thinking. The way things have changed since I started working with weed 40+ years. Things have changed drastically over that time period. Hope I helped!