First grow with LED light Skywalker OG

Seed to now is 9 days old. Tent is 2x4x5 with ViparSpectra VT450 light. 18 on 6 off. Veg light switch is set to 50 and bloom is set to 20. Made the mistake of over watering I think AND I added nutes to the first watering. I’m using ffof soil. The first one started to grow down but has since turned upward BUT she hasn’t grown much like the other one in the last few days. I clearly stopped using nutes and I am using ONLY rain water and Mammoth P. Only sprayed the top soil last night before the lights went off. The little one seems like the soil is still quite wet. The temps are steady at 72-77 F and humidity goes from 47% all the way to 68%. I’ve been told this is ok. I do have a small fan in the tent. The water PH is 6-6.5 and soil is 6.5.
I hope I am doing everything right so far. Sorry for all over the place just trying to get in as much info as possible. I will post a couple pics tho. I would greatly appreciate any and all feed back to make my first grow as successful as possible. Here we grow!! :grin::sunglasses:

First pic is the one that just stopped growing. 2nd pic is her sister (well I hope it’s a girl lol) all side view. This last pic is one my bf is growing, but is this normal for the leaves to do this and why did this happen?? Thanks again to any and all help.

6 Likes

They will seem to stop growing at first, but that just means they’re growing their roots. They look good.

4 Likes

Thanks. I hope the baby perks up in the next few days. I am not sure about the cup I have them in tho. It only has one hole at the bottom and that’s it. Will this be a problem?? If so how do I fix it?? Could that be why they are holding in so much water?? The bottom is wet and the upper half or so is drying out…

I would suggest watering with distilled or R/O water only and to dome your seedlings for another week or two: they actually derive their moisture from the air until the tap root develops. A plastic water bottle with a couple of holes in it and misting the inside is enough for your girls. I agree with Robin (@raustin): your plants look great.

You don’t need any nutrients at all until flower using FFOF.

Based on this statement I’m guessing you don’t have a digital PH meter. That is a mistake. Strips and drops are not accurate. A good PH meter is the single most used tool you have: used just as frequently as you water. Using distilled right now means you don’t have to really worry about PH.

1 Like

Uh oh, yes that’s a problem. Try to punch a few more holes in the bottom of the cups.

1 Like

On the bottom or on the side at the bottom??

Both if you can do it. You can’t have too many holes.

1 Like

I added a couple holes to both of them. I also put them in a humidity some today. Do I need to change anything with my light?? Should I leave them on the floor in the some or put them back up on top of the 5 gallon bucket that I had them on. Here is what it looks like now.

3 Likes

Ok just an update here. I’ve been pretty busy with a pest problem in my bf tent. But here are my girls. Second one is the one that started to grow down and grow slow. @Myfriendis410 I have drops to check ph. I’ve been just going by the color. I ONLY have been using rain water to water and this last feeding I put in some Mammoth. But in any case I hope they look good.

1 Like

I would only suggest that you go easy on the water. They need to be in fairly dry soil now. A couple of teaspoons is all they need until the plant gets larger.

Rainwater is good but I still recommend purchasing a decent PH meter. Drops are not accurate enough.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I will get one today. I only water them on the outside of the cup and a couple sprays by the stem. That’s what I’ve been reading to do anyway lol. That way the roots stretch to get the water.

1 Like

That is exactly right. Keep doing what you’re doing. FYI distilled water is great when they’re little too because the liquid adopts the soil PH immediately.

They won’t need any nutrients; better to let them tell you when they need something, if anything.

There may be a bit of stretch happening; you may want to bring the light down a bit. I don’t know what that is on your leaves but I would try to avoid getting anything on them at this stage. High humidity is still good but you can start hardening them with a small fan playing on them for a couple of hours each day.

When you buy a meter avoid getting one of the 3 in 1 meters: they are worthless.

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B078NPH1W3?tag=greenrel-20

This is the one I recommend.

1 Like

Thank you very much @Myfriendis410 I could use all the help I can get. I would rather benefit from someone else’s mistake than repeat it. That would be dumb on my part. The white stuff on the leaves is diatimacious (can NOT spell that word atm) earth spray for a pest problem in our room.

1 Like

What light are you running currently? How big is your tent, ambient conditions like RH and temps. What soil are you using? Attached is a Support Ticket: copy and paste into a new post and please fill it out. Be as complete as possible.

To create a grow support ticket we need some basic information to help diagnose the issue.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

• Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA
  • Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?
  • System type?
  • PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?
  • What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system, size?
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

If you can, upload a picture of your plant. It helps the diagnosis, if needed.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA Skywalker OG
  • Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Soil in pots
  • System type? ??
  • PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? I ordered a PH tester but when I checked it the first time with the liquid drops the color of the water was in between 6.0 - 6.5 I honestly have not checked since as they are only 12 days old.
  • What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS n/a
  • Indoor or Outdoor indoor
  • Light system, size? ViparSpectra VT450 w/ timer
  • Temps; Day, Night 77 - 79F day 75 - 77F night
  • Humidity; Day, Night. 48% - 69% all the time
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size no
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, no
  • Co2; Yes, No. no
    My lights are 20 inches away from top of cup. @Myfriendis410 should I move them closer than that?? I do not use nutes yet due to I am using ffof soil. I know this soil has plenty for now. I do add Mammoth to my water. First time used was 4 days ago when I watered them both. I have extra holes in the bottom of the cups. One of the girls always seems wet towards the bottom of the cup. I only water when I can visibly see the top is dry AND if she’s dry when I stick my finger on the top up to knuckle. So why would the lower half always feel “mushy” and the top feel dry?? I do have a small fan in my tent that I leave on all the time with the tent left open. I will take a pic of my tent setup, and both of my girls. If there is anything else that you may need please let me know. Thanks again to all the help and/or advice. Here’s the pics…
    Tent size is 2x4x5
    this one is the one that started to grow down.

This is my other bute!! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
1 Like

Thank you for the info.

What kind of soil?

Yes you can bring the lights down; once my plants are in veg I usually run them around 16" or so above the canopy.

I would also think about rinsing off the DE on the leaves: it can clog the stomata.

I would recommend you not water at all until the bottom of your pots dry out. Waterlogged roots are one of the worst things you can do to cannabis. Seriously: they only need a couple of teaspoons a day at this point. You can usually tell if a pot is about dry simply by the feel when you pick it up.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

@Myfriendis410 yes this helps a lot. I’m using Fox Farm Ocean Forest. I have heard that it’s not good for seedlings but that’s what my bf had and I’m poor atm lol. So I used what I have access to. I picked them up today and the little one still feels “mushy” at the bottom. Even wet to the touch. Kinda making me nervous. The other one feels normal. I’m scared cuz of the heat I’m gonna get mold in the bottom inside the cup… Is there anything to do to prevent this??

1 Like

You can grow using FFOF: some seedlings are more tender than others.

If it were me I would consider transplanting into another small pot. I use Solo cups with a gazillion holes poked in it with a hot wire. Might be something to think about. Then just water in tiny doses. Once the plant’s drip line is equal to the pot diameter you can transplant up again.

1 Like

@Myfriendis410 thank you so much for the help. I have been thinking all day that I need to transfer her into a different cup. I will try and see what happens.

1 Like

Help… What is wrong with this one?? Is that not watering enough?? I don’t understand why the leaves are curling down like that…

1 Like