First grow - White Widow (photo) - Indoor, soil

Exactly! The problem is that people are too use to looking at lights and comparing how much power they consume. When you look at one 600 watt vs another it doesn’t really tell you anything about the things that matter in a grow light.

1 Like

@dbrn32 You have me looking at that quantum board now. It looks pretty impressive. Do you know how it compares to the COBs? The listed specs seem a good bit better in favor of the quantum boards…

Also, do you know how far from the plants do the COBs have to be vs the quantum?

Depends on power level and which cobs.

@dbrn32 Well, I’m looking at 3 setups now…

• HLG-600H Quantum Board
  • RapidLED COB 4x4 VERO29
  • RapidLED COB 4x4 CXB3590

The quantum is the cheapest with the VERO29 a very close second. The Cree based one is the most expensive but not super far off. Input power seems about the same. The quantum board seems to put out slightly more PPF than you estimated the COBs would. Does that mean the HLG-600H is the winner?

@rampage - if you decide to look into a water filtration unit… I purchased the Aquatic Life RO Buddie (the 100 gallon 3-stage version) which is highly recommended by lots of people on here, and I have been very happy with it. I am producing water with 0-4 PPM in it, and it makes a gallon in about 35 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Reverse-Osmosis-100-Gallon/dp/B00DOG64FM

3 Likes

They’re all pretty good. The boards are definitely the most efficient, but that’s not necessarily everything that’s important. You can get cobs in a little more photosynthetically efficient light spectrum. Don’t really think you can go wrong with any of those options. I know a lot of people go with the hlg-600 kit because it’s the most amount of light for the least amount of money. Hard to argue with that.

1 Like

I know you’re in good hands with these guys helping you, but in soil you don’t want to feed until the plants have at least 4 nodes. My 1st grow I started feeding too early and stunted 2 plants because I didn’t understand how easy it was to create a lockout situation. @Myfriendis410 can help you out there. Ceeya

Pepe

3 Likes

So I’m having some issues… this might be multiple issues. This started shortly after I switched lighting. The temperature has gone up, it was around 72 and is now around 81. When I first noticed the drooping the other day the soil was dry so I watered it, that didn’t seem to change anything.

Currently the soil is moist but not soaked. May be a nutrient issue, have a yellowing leaf on the bottom, veins are green, ordered some cal-mag but it won’t be here until later in the week. I gave it a small bit of Fox Farms Grow Big because it has some magnesium in it. Mixed it in a water bottle, about 1.5 ml into the bottle and then gave it half the bottle. No change but that might not have been enough. I didn’t want to give more in case it was over watering, it’s been a few days now and I’m stumped.

Note: Picture was taken under white light and is fairly color accurate.

1 Like

You probably need to raise your humidity to accommodate the higher temperature. This chart shows you the correct humidity and temperature. Incorrect VPD wil give you droopy leaves because the plant can’t transpire.

1 Like

@raustin how long should it take to see some improvement? I’ve gotten it up to nearly 40% (from 28%).

You should see improvement by the next day.

1 Like

I went and got another humidifier today, hopefully I can get that humidity up. I wasn’t able to get it above 35% sustained with just one. I have one in the tent and now one outside the tent. I think part of the issue was it’d humidify the air but then the air would get exhausted, so humidifying outside the tent too should hopefully mitigate that.

@raustin I also have this going on, is it related or something different? This leaf is in the middle and it’s mostly only this one doing this (for now). It looks worse in person than it does in the picture for some reason.

1 Like

That looks like a calcium deficiency. What is your runoff Ph?

1 Like

@raustin I can check that. The soil is currently moist but not wet, the container is light. I do not have cal-mag yet. I do have the entire Fox Farm line. Cal-mag is on order (Friday). I don’t think I have that long…

I started a thread dedicated to this now since it has advanced from a minor concern to “ohf**k”. There are updated pictures. That one was from yesterday. Lights just came back on ~30 minutes ago.

https://ilgmforum.com/t/big-issues-might-lose-plant-maybe-too-late/26485

I had a real problem with low humidity until I got a Honeywell cool mist 11/2 gallon humidifier in my closet. it blows like crazy and now I have a problem keeping it under 75%. mine I am growing is white widow autoflower and this is my 1st time growing…i planted 4 seeds each in 4 gallon pots 2 1/2 weeks ago almosy 3 weeks. now 2 plants are about 7 inches tall-1 is 5 inches tall and 1 had to be started over with a new seed so it is 1 1/2 weeks behind. should I top them now and what about scrogging?

I had a Honeywell HEV615B, but it needed a new filter. As it was Christmas by the time I realized what was happening there was no way to get it a new one. Even with a filter it was not able to keep the tent above 34%. It’s not the humidifiers fault though. My RH in the winter is around 24% unmodified. I purchased a second one to place outside the tent and a supply of backup filters. RH is now around 50% in the tent, but note that these 2 humidifiers are rated for enough cubic feet to do my entire house yet it’s only up to around 35% RH in the rest of the house. My house is not sealed well and my heating removes moisture, so my humidity takes a big hit in the winter.

@dbrn32 so I put the screen up to start trying to control height. Am I doing this right? I’ll move the smaller ones when they get closer to the screen. There’s no light on the other side yet so I need that first.

It’s been a while since a posted an update, so here we go…

I’m currently about midway through week 4 of flower. The largest plant is still continuing to have issues, this might be underfeeding so I might up the feed a tiny bit on the next feeding. It wont matter soon but the issues are getting closer to the buds so I want to at least slow down the issues. These are continuing issues that I thought were fixed before entering flower but I was mistaken. By the time I realized the issues were continuing it was too late to switch back. I’ve been checking pH and other things and those are fine. I don’t believe it’s over feeding because it gets the same feed as the other plants and they are all fine. Trying a pure ph balanced water (no feed) seemed to make things worse. This is the only plant I flushed in veg and I think I just didn’t put enough back into the soil. It’s definitely nutrient related because the buds aren’t as large as any of the other plants, granted it also has the most buds.

The other plants are doing great.

1 Like

I’m curious if you’ve ever flushed and checked the pH and PPM of your runoff?