First grow using Worm Poo as medium

Gotta love the mix packs

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice and encouragement @Skydiver. It means a lot to hear after pulling rotted buds all day.

I have a shower stall installed in the garage a long time ago and itā€™s never been used as the construction to remodel it was halted. But the stall is probably good for indoor grow. The garage is not heated or have any AC so itā€™s way too hot in the summer but might work in the winter for growing auto. Itā€™s not really sealed so might still have bug issues but it will stay out of rain. Itā€™s not possible to keep the light out either but I have auto seeds to try.We have pretty mild winter, at most in the low 30ā€™s for a week or two. I was gonna get some light and hang it on. Could you recommend which kind is best? Iā€™m so confused with LED and all those different wattage. Could you suggest me? Iā€™ll probably still do outdoor next summer, now that I know what Iā€™m facing. Cannabis attracts bugs Iā€™d never had issues with before. Even the caterpillars I had in broccoli were from white butterflies, not disgusting green wormy caterpillars from the moths. I saw more dead ones in varying degrees of decomposition, as results of BT. I think if I start spraying before seeing bugs, and spray regularly, I can keep them off. Who says, itā€™s easy to grow ā€˜weedsā€™? I wanna throw rotten caterpillar carcass at them!

Iā€™m canceling my travel early next month and will stay put to deal with the bugs and long awaited harvest.

2 Likes

Depending on how big the area is you are lighting would better direct me to model of light but if you want a great one that will grow em well inside I would look at the HLG line with r-Spec and you can put the kit together or pay for them to ship it assembled.

Iā€™ve used the retailer in their list on web growerslights and am happy with their service. If the garage can be used just check the outlet to make sure the expected amp draw from lights etc along with other stuff that may be on the same circuit can handle things. If you wanna spend some extra cash on a tent etc let us know. Many good options out there. Many not so good ones too so ask away for suggestions as needed.
If the garage is attached to the house maybe you can put a duct into the stall or tent to better control temps / humidity. They have ways of sealing up the space you have now with not too much expense.

Take a wooden stake and staple some caterpillar bodies to it and smear their guts all over things and see if that helps. I know when I finger crush Japanese Beatles on my plants and leave the carcass and goo all mashed up on the plant it seems to discourage them and even if itā€™s not it satisfies meā€¦Muhahahaha

2 Likes

YItā€™s just a small shower stall unit you get at Home Depot, about 3ā€™x3ā€™ or a little bigger. You know, the whole shower with door. The inside wall is molded plastic. I thought it will be easy to drain too. If I grow auto, I guess light isnā€™t an issues, is it? The garage is separate from the house. We were going to remodel it into an office but it was too stressful with new baby coming so it was halted now my baby is 24, lol! Thereā€™s indoor plumbing and electricity in there. So hooking up light isnā€™t an issues. I guess the size of it can accommodate only one plant. Itā€™s tempting to get a tent but I donā€™t k ow where I can put it. I wish I had a real basement like I saw my relatives in the east coast have. I got California basement and the furnace is just about take up all the space, and I use it as drying room since itā€™s dark and cool.

Thanks for the link, Iā€™ll get serious with it after another BT spraying.

Ewwwwwww!!! I donā€™t think I would do that even if it would actually scare the moth. Iā€™m going out to spray Captain Jack at midnight.

Hereā€™s the cat. If youā€™re collecting them, I can mail you some zombie caterpillar. Also lots of grasshoppers. I think they chew on the fan leaves. This one was taken a few seconds before I snapped it with my sharp trimmer scissors but only got one leg off. Die bastard, die!

2 Likes

You can hold onto the catsā€¦lol

This light would be great for that space I think.

As far as Autos I just asked that question about light leaks etc and itā€™s up in the air of it will cause problems. They say best to keep it dark when itā€™s supposed to be darkā€¦ie your lighting schedule that you set it at.
Big box stores have that roll of reflective bubble like insulation that you could line the shower with and will give you reflectivity for lights as well as insulate and enclose the space somewhat.

You could do 2 Autos in that space in 3 gallon containers I thinkā€¦

Yea east coast here with basements everywhereā€¦lol

1 Like

Thanks. The garage and backyard is usually pretty dark but itā€™s in a city so thereā€™s always some light, not total darkroom dark. My outdoor plants got City night sky and moonlight when itā€™s full too so would that effect quality of the buds?

I have basement envy!

1 Like

@Ning sorry bro. My first grow outdoors was ruined by caterpillars.

You need to weekly or more spray your plants with spinosad or BT or both from teenage to flower. Even then, you will have a few.

I know you talked about mites, but there is only 1 true pest issue outside in so cal,caterpillars.

Mites, grasshopper, aphids, all ā€œusually ā€œ controlled by nature. Caterpillars are the one thing you need to worry about.

3 Likes

Thanks, hmm, Iā€™m not a bro though, more like a sis, lol!

I donā€™t have mites on my cannabis, my heirloom tomatoes is another story. Maybe them mites were distracted by my juicy maters to bother with my weeds.

Next season will be different. I had no idea with the caterpillars on weeds. I donā€™t like to grow broccoli or cabbage family veggies because I hate the caterpillars from white butterflies. Usually my garlic-peppers is enough to handle them but they are so disgusting to look at so I decided to buy them I. Store or farmerā€™s market instead. These moths caterpillars is a whole new level of puking ugly though.

So how late can I spray them with BT? Like. A week before harvest? Though I canā€™t really tell when the harvest could be and with various stages of these buds.

image|374x500

How long do you think I have? If I get a pound, Iā€™ll be so happy. I planted my Skywalker in June. She is the last to buds and so far is very healthy. I was gone when she was in veg state so I could spray her before problems set in like the older ones.

4 Likes
3 Likes

??? I donā€™t get it ?!?

1 Like

If your referring to the above video was a band I ran across on PBS last night I hadnā€™t heard of and liked their music and just was sharing it with whomever before I headed to bed. Local band in my area.

2 Likes

@Ning, sorry sis!

You can spray BT or Spinosad up to day before harvest.

Start now on your skywalker. You can also spray it o n your buds but I donā€™t think if the caterpillars are buried in the bud it will effect them.

I think a pound is reasonable to achieve.

Have you seen the show ā€œHighlandā€ on Netflix? All about medical cannabis in Thailand.

3 Likes

Ah, I listen to it and even looked at the lyrics and wondered how it relates to weeds, lol! Local, arenā€™t they British? Are you in the Deep South?

Haha, my name doesnā€™t give away, does it? No problemo, bro! Thanks for the tips about BT. I planted the Skywalker in Jun. Sheā€™s doing best because I went through a little learning curve by the time I planted her.

I planted her for 5-6 weeks then had to leave to take care of my kid for a month, so I thought Iā€™d experiment with outdoor training. First I tried to make crude screen in case I could SCROG her. Then I didnā€™t have time and by that time she was taller than recommended topping or fimming but I did it anyway. I was in a hurry to top it before driving up that morning. At least I didnā€™t kill her and she stayed below line of sight from my back neighbor who has a son and a daughter living at home occasional throwing party with their young friends. At first, I had a nice cover crops of corns that grew 8ā€™ tall but now they are crisp but I left them standing and growing beans on them like the native Indian, lol! I donā€™t want to temp those kids (young men and women) to jump the wall over, lol! So thatā€™s the result of the topping. She was 3ā€™-4ā€™ tall when I did that.

Are you in SoCal, OC? Another neighbor has a fig tree that over-produced this year with all the spring rain weā€™ve got, so she let me help myself. Even the birds canā€™t eat 10% of it. So I canned a lot of fig chutney. If youā€™d like to try, I can send you some. Itā€™s spicies than normal chutney but not by much, from lots of ginger I put in. You too, @Skydiver. I donā€™t like to keep the chutney too long and canā€™t eat all of that myself even after mailing some to my relatives back east whoā€™ve never had figs off the tree before, lol! I picked in the afternoon and canned them right away, so they are fresh.

I guess the best time to plant feminized seedlings is around June when the sun is longer than 12 hrs, right?

Iā€™ll have to tie me over with the bathroom stall rigging for the autos then. Ive got two kinds of autos: Blueberry and Gorilla Glue. Thatā€™s great, @Skydiver, if I can squeeze two plants in so Iā€™ll try both strains.

I also got crystal and CALIFORNIA Dream, both will be up to 10ā€™. When I plant them next year, Iā€™ll have to do something to cut down the height. Have you done outdoor scrogging? I tried with my Skywalker like this:

Next time, Iā€™ll have to make smaller square. Itā€™s easier to construct before the plant gets big, so I learned.

5 Likes

No, I havenā€™t seen the show on Netflix. I will watch it then. Iā€™ll be interested to see how it goes. Thereā€™s a lot of non-sense in Cannabis biz there though. Sick people wanted them but the politician are trying to figure out how they could profit from it so itā€™s still illegal there even though people used it for cooking and folk medicine for millennium. Some Thais grew them on the fire escape in NY in the 60ā€™s for cooking the leaves with. A cop showed up to arrest him but let him go when he show them how to cook with it and he didnā€™t grow them for buds, lol! I got some landrace seeds my bro gave me but they were picked too early and not mature enough, Iā€™m afraid. I tried germinating about 15 of them, none came up.

I went out to spray them with Captain Jackā€™s at midnight last night. Interesting point, the Saferā€™s BT uses 1 teaspoon/quart of water while Captain Jackā€™s direction says 3tsp(=1Tbsp) instead. Is spinosad the same as BT or different strain of bacteria? Iā€™m happy to know about it so I can plant broccoli and Brussels sprout now. Thanks!!!

They were performing in Akron Ohio at a place called studio C and as far as I know they are somewhat local to me near Akron but Iā€™m not sure where they originally are from as just heard them last night.

1 Like

It says here they are British. You give me another envy. Listen to good band in small venue is the best. Hereā€™s the write up about them: Ida Mae Pays Homage to American Roots Music on ā€˜Reachingā€™: Video Premiere | Billboard ā€“ Billboard

Thanks for the link yep not from around here lol
Not sure how old the recoding was that I saw on PBS but I liked their sound and wanted to share

Figs are delicious but Iā€™ll have to look up chutney lol cause I donā€™t know what that is other than being jarred figs?

BT and Spinosad are two different critters I believe

Lol!!! Globally local! That page says something about Deep South thatā€™s why I asked. Guess youā€™re a night owl, lol!

Fig chutney is made by first frying onion (I did in olive oil + butter and sweet onion) then add minced ginger, dried fruits: resins, blueberries, cherries, cranberry. I like lots of dried fruit mix in, and some cayenne pepper. Organic sugar, lemon juice, apple cider. Itā€™s great with meat dishes. Any chutney has ginger and dried fruit and fried to almost caramelized onion.

BT and Spinosad are two different strains of bacteriaā€™s then. Interesting that they both cause caterpillars to die the same way. Hope it doesnā€™t effect me. It was late so I didnā€™t want to shower again after spraying Captain Jackā€™s at midnight.

@Ning yes Iā€™m in so cal.

I would love some fig Chutney. My wife is French and they grow wild on her parents property in south of France.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to share information on this forum, but if you sigh up for the lab side you can. Iā€™m over there and a lot of others from here.

A few of the mods are good growers and very eager to help. A lot of people are trading seeds over there too.

2 Likes